The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Ten Card Miracle by Ted Karmilovich, LIMITED EDITION (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
Steve Tucker has a great way to make the one move totally invisible. Yes it's a gimmick but boy is it good.
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Psy
The routine is already perfect as it is. Some of you like to run when nobody is chasing
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1642 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2018, Psy wrote:
Some of you like to run when nobody is chasing

Yes, it's called exercise… you should try it

[err that works better if the magician/know all I’m ‘serving’ is vastly over weight]
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Psy
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2018, The Duster wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2018, Psy wrote:
Some of you like to run when nobody is chasing

Yes, it's called exercise… you should try it

[err that works better if the magician/know all I’m ‘serving’ is vastly over weight]

don't try too hard, you could hurt yourself
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6089 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2018, Colin (C.J.) wrote:
Steve Tucker has a great way to make the one move totally invisible. Yes it's a gimmick but boy is it good.

I own this effect and just read through it again, but I can't fathom what people are referring to as this "one move".
Maybe I'm just too familiar with it but I don't consider there to be any moves in the routine.
Maybe someone could PM me with this mysterious move.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1267 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2018, The Duster wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2018, Rocketeer wrote:
I think one way to fight it might be to never sell your stuff. Instead, license it. Instead of selling 200 copies at $55 perhaps Ted should have licensed 100 copies at $110. Or maybe even (gulp) license 50 copies at $220. Maybe require a signed agreement too. Certainly this is no panacea nor is it practical for most tricks. But for a guy with the track record and reputation of a Ted Karmilovich, I think it's worth trying.

Hmm

So he 'licenses' 200 copies at $50

Then one turns up on a pirate site - and that is different how?

But in a way he deserves to be pirated

If he had a high profile name copy this / sell it on to the pirates - and he knows this - but doesn't name or shame them... then cool - game on

So if Ted has no balls [or more likely CJ/Ted made up the whole thing] then why should we care

Personally I find all the pirating annoying and would love for there to be a solution... which is why I feel so 'let down' by Ted not outing the person [Ted went to the trouble to mark the books to catch them]

I mean really - to put that effort into marking the copies - and then to catch someone... and not out them... yikes what a wasted opportunity

In a way he deserves to be pirated? What the blue HOT SPOT does that crap mean man??? If you leave your door unlocked that doesn't mean you deserve to get robbed. Ted markets a booklet that sells, and someone decides to rob him and you think he DESERVES to be pirated just because he doesn't publicly out the thief? It is my sincere hope Duster that people learn your name and simply decide not to sell to you. Unlike yourself, I believe creators deserve not to be robbed, that thieves deserve to go to jail AND pay restitution, and I'm willing to put my name to that.

Btw, you really shouldn't be buying from Ted anymore in my humble opinion. You really don't deserve it.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1642 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Yes

He is enabling and part of the problem

I’m sure you appreciate that?

If he named the high profile act who did this, boy would that scare and slow down others.

Samuel we are on the same side.

I’ve had so much of my work pirated, I’m clearly on record here as being strongly against the practice. In fact that’s what my post was about.

You said that Ted got robbed and I thought he deserved it.

If you read what I wrote your analogy should have been this, Ted got Robbed, he knew who did it - it was someone well know (so high profile and very much going to be a deterrent to others) and he decided to not go to the police or set an example of him/her. So.... he’s made it clear there are no repercussions and is ok with being robbed.

You are right that it was almost definitely a lie and the books weren’t marked and/or there was no one ‘caught red handed’ - high profile or not.

Finally... why wouldn’t I deserve effects from Ted? Because I’m more anti pirating then you? Hmm, that’s probably because I’ve lost more to pirates than you have. But for that to make you both more deserving of Teds work, and the arbiter of whether I should be allowed them, seems strange logic on your part.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1267 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
That you would say he deserved to get robbed makes me say you don't deserve to own his work. No creator deserves to be robbed, regardless of how he decides to protect his work, or if he decides not to. It's his work and his prerogative. As a creator yourself, you know what I mean. Locks are on doors for a reason, but if someone decides to leave the door unlocked that doesn't mean they DESERVE to be robbed, but that's my opinion.

I grant that you've likely lost more than I have to thieves. I've only put out one book and have no intentions of putting out another. I also have no intentions of sharing my work with the magic community at large either. I've learned that the only thing that comes from that is thievery, so I keep my own work to myself most of the time or share only with one or two friends.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1642 Posts

Profile of The Duster
But limited releases, it's not the creator that's being robbed

If he is selling 100 copies and no more [or whatever number]

Than each person who buys it, is one in 100 people to have that work - if someone then puts it up on youtube or P2P and 7 million people watch/get the work for free [all for example]

The creator hasn't lost out as he limited his sales to 100

But each person’s copy now has a lower intrinsic value – as to what that is, would depend for each person. If this item cost $50… then it was pirated and instead of being limited to 100 copies, over 2,000 magicians got a copy… you might have one original purchaser who has it in a draw and never uses or thinks about it, and so loses nothing. But then another might also not ever use the booklet – but want to sell it, now this ‘sold out’ limited edition has a much lower sell on value, as it’s pirated and free or cheap elsewhere. Finally the person who bought a copy to use, the value for him of being one of the few to have this ‘original’ routine – well that number of people with it has gone up 20 fold…

I get how you say, if the author doesn’t care, that’s up to him. But that is a lack of care for the guys who have bought his work.

You may argue, Ted is a good bloke, the purchasers know this happens, they all love Ted and nobody has a problem with this…

Fair enough… if you speak for everyone.

But if some of the people who paid for the limited edition – are upset at his lack of action when he says he knows who stole his work, but he isn’t going to do anything about it – then they also have a legitimate case to not be happy at Ted’s lack of action.

I do think creators should do anything they can to stop pirates

As it affects their customers, and other creators, and the future – far more than themselves. If they want the community to buy their products now [today] – they should help to keep the community as healthy as possible. Anything less is short sighted and selfish… in my opinion

Realistically what can creators do? Little to nothing.

So that’s why it’s annoying when a creator says he has caught a pirate and then does nothing. Why should we now care if Ted’s future work gets pirated – as he has shown a lack of care for his own work/the value of his work to his customers?

Away from this, Ted has always seemed a nice chap, well liked and respected – and has shared many great creations over the years.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10725 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2017, DrewBstoss wrote:
I'm a HUGE Ted K fan - but I've gotta ask... how is this different from a classic card calling routine?

"Calling the Cards" from Roberto Giobbi's fist Penguin LIVE sounds almost identical in effect and (at least overt) handling. This no doubt boasts a few bits that help it play larger and involve more people but the underlying mechanisms appear similar. My intention is not to create waves or disparage this release, I'm just genuinely interested in what sets this apart from similar material.

Thanks in advance for clarification that anyone can provide!

Best,

Drew

I have been using this for about 3 years at all my shows. Absolutely destroys. The twist ending, the simplicity of the handling, the build-up.

Many effects have the same end result - nothing new in what you say. But Ted K's genius here is in the simplicity of method and execution. Card calling routines are nothing new. What sets it apart like any great piece is the wonderful scripting. You should know that...

Glad to he helpful.

Best,

BRETT
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10725 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2018, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2018, Colin (C.J.) wrote:

I own this effect and just read through it again, but I can't fathom what people are referring to as this "one move".
Maybe I'm just too familiar with it but I don't consider there to be any moves in the routine.
Maybe someone could PM me with this mysterious move.

Correct. There are no moves whatsoever.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1141 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Old post but anyone want to part with their copy? I refuse to buy a pirated version . . .

Thanks!
Doug
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1141 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
I was able to track one down - thanks!
deliveryboy
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of deliveryboy
Anyone willing to sell their copy?
thanks John
ATXTimeLord
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of ATXTimeLord
I'm interested in a legitimate copy as well.

mG
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12588 Posts

Profile of John C
I wish I could find my copy. It’s around the house somewhere. Haha
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Ten Card Miracle by Ted Karmilovich, LIMITED EDITION (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL