The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Best Amps? (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
Hello folks,

I am a professional magician looking to make the leap (or crash ;-) ) into busking and am looking for an amp that has good sound and is portable and ideally could be used for small stage shows (100 people) as well as busking.

Any suggestions? Searching the Café - there were some posts from 2013 but I haven't found anything more recent. I don't want to go Happie Amp as the shipping/ customs charges are lethal.

Any help much appreciated,

Danny
Let the Entertainment Commence!
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Hello sir. I just recently bought the following amp. I haven't got home to try it out yet but for the price and battery life it's pretty cheap. It also has Bluetooth. Probably not for a musician but looks good for speaking and music from my phone. I'll let you know what it's like when I try it out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MQYI87......f=plSrch
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Mipro
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
I bought a Roland "Street Cube" about 10 years ago ac or dc great product still going strong
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
Thank you. do you use this with a wireless headset and if so how? I am trying to avoid buying a battery and inverter.
Let the Entertainment Commence!
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Myself, I have one rarely use it. I use some recorded music and speak loudly. Also I'm on a beach Promenade so pretty close proximity to audience.
Ish70
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Ish70
I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PWMA220BM-Bl......wma220bm

It has more power/volume than you would think. It is Bluetooth. It has a very good internal battery (about 6 hours), and can operate plugged in, too. Comes with a "wrap around" mike, a lapel mike, both wireless. And, it comes with a microphone you can plug in. Great little amp (6.5 x 11 x 13 in).
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
All of the lower priced amps, and I mean ALL of them, sound like the performer is talking through a tin can. The frequency response and dynamic range of such amplifiers suck. If you want quality sound, portability, dependable components that won't break with a little jostling about, expect to pay for it. I've traveled more than most and the only amp that I've ever found to supply big sound when needed, or a little voice augmentation when required, is assembled by a busker in the UK. He knows his stuff you might say.

http://www.stuffandthings.co.uk/pa_and_mp3.htm

Any performer that travels extensively, packing, unpacking, hauling it around, uses his products. His products are the hands down best. But again, expect to pony up the money for the quality. The only drawback is that you'll need to know someone in the UK to have them send it to you. The manufacturer doesn't ship outside of the UK, so a second party is necessary to ship them here to the USofA.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Https://carvinaudio.com/collections/s600/products/s600b

if I didn't already have a carvin stagemate I'd get this immediately.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I have used a Roland street cube in school halls when doing Science shows as well as many out side events and it dose the job well. https://www.roland.com/global/products/cube_street/

However due to the fact when I busk I need every thing to fit on by bicycle and my experience of the street cube I have been using one of these https://www.roland.com/global/products/mobile_ba/ .

As for a mic I have just started using the Samson air-line and so far so good http://www.samsontech.com/samson/product......oearset/

Hope this helps.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I have a roland street cube and there's no way that unit (while cool and good sounding) could handle a large outside crowd.
I'm not even sure it could handle much of an outside medium size crowd. Small crowd, yes.

It's only 2 watts, if I remember correctly. It does have very efficient drivers which help but I think you'd need to stipulate that this is not an amp with much "reach". I'd say it's perfect for a kids bday party at a home or a smallish indoor parlor show or a small outdoor gig. But that's it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Quote:
On Apr 30, 2017, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
I have a roland street cube and there's no way that unit (while cool and good sounding) could handle a large outside crowd.
I'm not even sure it could handle much of an outside medium size crowd. Small crowd, yes.

It's only 2 watts, if I remember correctly. It does have very efficient drivers which help but I think you'd need to stipulate that this is not an amp with much "reach". I'd say it's perfect for a kids bday party at a home or a smallish indoor parlor show or a small outdoor gig. But that's it.

I have used mine in many indoor /outdoor situations, never had one issue no matter any size group I have ever had. If several hundred is a small crowd then maybe you're right.
Nala
Ish70
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Ish70
I use my Pyle frequently and have never noted anything but good sound. Mostly used indoors, but I have taken it on the streets and it was fine.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Danny,
I wish you well on the Streets.

One of the skills of busking, however,
is the use of natural voice.

As you may notice,
reading various posts here;
Streets,..Pitches are dying out.
Busking,.. is struggling.
The use of Amps is the leading cause.

The use of amplification is the leading cause of complaint,
about Busking today.

The use of amplification is the leading cause of complaint,
about Busking today.

The skill of using Natural Voice is,...
maybe,
making a come-back(!).

Young singers, on the Streets,
here in Europe,
are more and more playing un-plugged.
Smaller Pitches and venues are openning up.
'Smaller',...

Learn to use,
develope the skill,..
of Natural Voice.

Talk to an Actor.
Read 'Milo and Roger' p. 174/177.
There's great tips and training practise for developing 'a voice'.

'A Voice' is one trait of Busking.
,..."Small", also has something to do with the job.,... 🤔

Again, I wish you well.
Gallagher
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
We perform at a beautiful beach area,50' from the ocean, 15'from a rail line, competing with coal cars heading to be off loaded for Japan.
our sets are a mix of patter and canned music. we keep it at a level to be heard not abused.
I unfortunately wasn't graced with the gift of the gab' as they say. But 7th year at that one spot and feel very, very lucky!
love it !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXcaTRpM9fs
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Nala,
with the waves,
..the wind,
...the crowds,
....and the trains(!);
you guys really go for it!

I'm SURE,
seven years ago,
you weren't half as strong as you are now. 👍

It's great what you guys are pulling off,..
and how you go about it. 🙂

Here's to the next seven!
smiles,
Gallagher
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Yes .... Gallagher... I've got 7 more smiles but doubt 7 more years. I wish!.... this kid of mine is wearing me out!
Tonight we are right back down there, but just as tourists, ice cream and a walk on the pier.

stay happy!
Nala & Ling'
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
I agree,
For the first 10 years or so never even thought about using a amp.
Work on doing shows with no amp. It will make you a stronger performer.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
I use a Mipro 707 for my paid shows. However I was thinking about getting a happy amp just for the street. Does anyone use this?

However, Gallagher, I have noted your wise comments.

Mark
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
If your looking to buy a amp.
Take what Eric Evans said and get
Stuff and Things.
Best sound for the cash
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Best Amps? (12 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL