The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Don't know which coins to use...small/med hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Hi!
I was practicing some hold outs and coin stuff. Quarters seem too small or hard to handle. I didn't have a 50 cent piece so I used a 10 pence english coin I had. Any recommendations on coin size with me? I have long fingers, but not necessarily big hands.

Ellen
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
That's a very tough subject to broach, and really depends upon many factors, including hand and finger size. Do you have any trouble with "windows" between your fingers when finger palming coins of half-dollar size?

The SBA and golden dollars are a pretty nice size to work with, bigger than a quarter, but smaller that a half. I've started to become more of a gold dollar fan myself lately.

All the Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Lee Brown
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Lee Brown
Go for broke!!!! Get yourself some Morgan dollars. They look great, and are easy to work with.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hello Ellen,

There are several sizes of coins to try. Have you tried using the old Florin coins? There were designed for everyday ease of handling and are a bit larger than quarters. One step up would the Half Crowns. These are just a bit larger than American Half Dollars. A step beyond that would be the Thaler, Dollar and Crown sized coins.

Lots to try and a great excuse to visit a coin store or visit a coin fair.

Best to you,

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
I guess I'm going to second Morgan dollars.
I haven't worked with them but I've seen someone who has..... (but one of those Morgans I saw were gaffed per the routine's requirements)

:bg:

Don't have a 50 cent piece? I don't no, but I think half dollars are great too, and they are backpalm-able.

:)
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hay Man,
I have small hands And I all ways use Half dollar size coins! Silver dollars Are just too big and
Heavy for me when I try to palm Four of them! I tryed silver dollars for a wile and it just did not work!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
jaxonlee
View Profile
New user
Butte, MT
71 Posts

Profile of jaxonlee
For a bit of fun, I stopped in at a local coin shop and picked up 4 - 1 oz silver pieces. They're fun to look at but I tell you, they're a bugger to do much with. Though I've found them to be akin to wearing ankle weights while out walking: they really help when working on new sleights. they force me to go slow so I can actually pay attention to what I'm doing. Otherwise, I tend to use the Susan B's and Gold dollars for most things, Kennedy halves as well.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Ellen,

I would suggest you work with all coins and see which ones are better for which tricks. I tend to stick to half dollars for most routines, but some demand dollars and some demand quarters. Don't get hung up on what size hands you have, this idea will only limit you uneccessarily.

Kirk
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Thanks for the advice, I'll try the Morgans.

Ellen
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Hi Ellen,
your first post mentioned using English 10 pence coins in preferemce to quaters. The current 10p is exactally the same size ! but the old 10 pence, which was the same size as a florin ( see Jon above ) was a bit larger.
Just try different coins. I like florins and half crowns just because of there look, a dull shine, and weight.
Eddie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Don't know which coins to use...small/med hands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL