The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Britain's Got Talent Russ Stevens in fix and exposure row (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
TidyYourRoom
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of TidyYourRoom
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2017, PRINCE wrote:
if it is true that the rules state that your material has to be original


Of course they don't state that. people do cover songs on it all the time.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3113 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2017, TidyYourRoom wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2017, PRINCE wrote:
if it is true that the rules state that your material has to be original


Of course they don't state that. people do cover songs on it all the time.


I agree with you on this but I don't think copying songs and magic routines are the same ( well they are certainly not seen as the same ) . For example you could do a gig singing every week ( as thousands do ) covering other peoples songs even singing them in the same style and no one minds . You copy word for word someone's magic act and persona ( I know it happens ) but expect to be slaughtered quite rightly imo in the nicest possible sense of the word as I couldn't think of the appropriate one . I think you can do the same methods magic wise on BGT just not copy a routine . Regards Tarik 🙂
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
I Agree Tarik.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7562 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Thankfully only idiots that can't read properly buy the Daily Mirror.
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Oi! I read it mate donnt be so snobbey
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7562 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2017, Karl M wrote:
Oi! I read it mate donnt be so snobbey


See what I mean?
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1278 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Some jealous little bottom feeder trying to earn a few bob by selling themselves to the papers.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Unfortunately yes. Its sad as the implications of the actions doesn't just effect Issy as a come back, but rather the damage to us magicians and worse for those who actually use the routines in their act.
Imagine performing the lnyx board, paying 3K for it and use it regularly, to now having to drop something so strong from your act with the fear of people having seen the article and knowing the workings. Plus the word of mouth and gossip from people of how she did it all etc. Lets not get into "don't worry people will forget they read the secret etc" rubbish... a few weeks, months etc down the line after someone has read that article and you see someone perform this on stage you will remember exactly the workings of it and how it was done - especially being the prop it is. Or if that one person doesn't 'remember' or know someone else will know and tell them.
Such a shame
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2017, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2017, Karl M wrote:
Oi! I read it mate donnt be so snobbey


See what I mean?

No mate
Michael Clifton
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Michael Clifton
This primarily Lynx's fault which I mentioned about a year ago. They openly expose the workings
themselves in a video, that was not password protected and openly re-posted by magic dealers.
THIS is no excuse for exposure, and it drives me mad when you see reveal videos 2 mins later
after a performance, but when you chase the mighty dollar all morals become compromised..
The media are not interested in our art, they are ruled by MONEY and ratings. Luckily though,
unless you have an interest in the art,or know all spectator, you are not going to go to the
trouble of sourcing how everything is done..and let's face it,you don't want to entertain those
types anyway...Most people enjoy and move on...
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1568 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2017, PRINCE wrote:
Unfortunately yes. Its sad as the implications of the actions doesn't just effect Issy as a come back, but rather the damage to us magicians and worse for those who actually use the routines in their act.
Imagine performing the lnyx board, paying 3K for it and use it regularly, to now having to drop something so strong from your act with the fear of people having seen the article and knowing the workings. Plus the word of mouth and gossip from people of how she did it all etc. Lets not get into "don't worry people will forget they read the secret etc" rubbish... a few weeks, months etc down the line after someone has read that article and you see someone perform this on stage you will remember exactly the workings of it and how it was done - especially being the prop it is. Or if that one person doesn't 'remember' or know someone else will know and tell them.
Such a shame


Thing is though, it is VERY unlikely that you will meet someone who has read the article or heard about it.

For example, if 2 million people have read the article and 1 million have heard it through word of mouth...then by maths...there are 360 million english speaking people in the world...the chance of meeting someone who knows about the article is 0.8%...

But then again the 2 million I believe is a giant overestimate...

Nothing to be worried about IMO.

SLEEPY
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3113 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
These are the pros and cons of technology . The internet serves a great purpose but there is payback time to . The lynx board exists because of great technology but the flip side is everyone who wants to know about it can through YouTube etc . It wouldn't have been created in the first place if we hadn't gone down the road we are now so it is what it is . That is why sleight of hand will always inevitably be a better option and will stand the test of time where as electronics which I love and certainly has its place in magic will always evolve and certain logical spectators will work it out . Anyway less people see these things than you think as Sleepy quite rightly says . I mean if you asked someone what percentage of the population worldwide was on Facebook they would say a lot more than the 24.8 % that actually are . This is less than 1 in 4 , 1.86 billion users latest figures and a world population of 7.5 billion latest figures I will let you do the maths Tarik 😊
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
556 Posts

Profile of sjrw
I don't care about the exposure... I just feel sorry for the kid. She did a good job with her performance. She was entertaining AND she had the confidence to go on stage and do what she did. Fair play to her... but now the media is tearing her act apart.
That must feel awful for anyone, let alone an eight year old.
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
I don't think it's a case of meeting someone who knows about it, it's more of the people knowing about this sho is present in an audience when you perform it. Yes I know in the defence of the point that this could be said about a lot of things that a magician/mentalist performs, but with this being such a high profiled topic of conversation if it was me personally and had this in my stand up show then would have to take it out.
I know you take a chance with everything you perform and can never guarantee that anything you perform your audience will not know how it works etc, but to stand up there perform a show (if mentalism - not a magic show) basically showing your skills in mind reading, psychology, being psychic etc however you want to dress it up to how your doing it (obviously not setting the premise that your just a magician performing tricks) then perform this, someone or people on the audience then associate this with that 'trick' they seen a girl do on BGT when exposed and them now knowing it's just a clever $3000 trick, your credibility as now anything other than you just a magician performing tricks is now your image. Not someone who is very good as psychology, has a psychic gift, can maybe read minds etc.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1622 Posts

Profile of Ross W
The other thing to remember, and it is VERY relevant in this case is this:

Britain's Got Talent is NOT a talent competition.

It is a variety show dressed up as a talent competition, at least in the early stages. The producers pick who they want in the show. Doing well in the auditions is no guarantee AT ALL of progressing through to the next round (as a friend of mine has just discovered). Things become much "fairer" once the viewing audience is asked to vote, but until then everything is entirely at the discretion of the producers.

"Contestants" are made well aware of this when they take part.

The whole thing is an illusion, designed to make the show as entertaining as possible for the viewers at home.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3113 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2017, Ross W wrote:
The other thing to remember, and it is VERY relevant in this case is this:

Britain's Got Talent is NOT a talent competition.

It is a variety show dressed up as a talent competition, at least in the early stages. The producers pick who they want in the show. Doing well in the auditions is no guarantee AT ALL of progressing through to the next round (as a friend of mine has just discovered). Things become much "fairer" once the viewing audience is asked to vote, but until then everything is entirely at the discretion of the producers.

"Contestants" are made well aware of this when they take part.

The whole thing is an illusion, designed to make the show as entertaining as possible for the viewers at home.


Spot on Ross couldn't agree more with you Tarik 😊
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Well said Ross and totally agree
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
On the one hand, no one wants exposure of methods. On the other hand, it's been going on for decades in one way or another. Personally, I would prefer zero exposure of methods on the internet and in the media. But that's not going to happen. The magic community is very creative. New methods and routines are continually being developed and introduced, in part to find a new way to perform an effect that was previously exposed.

None of us like exposure. But it does tend to drive innovation.
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1024 Posts

Profile of kannon
Yeah it's pretty low to attack an 8 year girl ... who, regardless of who her family is, did an amazing job and performed fantastically and confidently... far better, arguably, than a large number of performers.

But...

WE DID THIS TO OURSELVES.
DON'T WHINE ABOUT THE EXPOSURE.

You go around making facebook pages for magic products, magic shops, share them publicly, posting open forums, google things and make Youtube product advertisements, creating magic shows called "FOOL US" ...

to Quote Tyler Durden "WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?!"
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1344 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2017, saysold1 wrote:

Sure people will forget this and not everyone will see the exposure - but it still hurts the art.



What hurts magic more is bad performers. Exposure is a drop in the bucket compared to the gigs lost because of shabby magi.

Quote:
to Quote Tyler Durden "WHAT DID YOU THINK WAS GOING TO HAPPEN?!"


^THIS!
Official Thread Killer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Britain's Got Talent Russ Stevens in fix and exposure row (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL