The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » The golden shells (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paulbmx12345
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Paulbmx12345
How come on Penguin magic the golden shells are only $50.00 compared to the $100 everyone else sells them for. And penguin also gives you a free instructional video.
" Why, Mr. Anderson, why? Why, why do you do it? Why, why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something, for more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is, do you even know? Is it freedom or truth, perhaps peace - could it
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
The Penguin Magic Golden Shells are manufactured by Magic Makers and are *not* the shells sold by School for Scoundrels (which are vastly superior)...

Hence the difference.

ajp
Paulbmx12345
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Paulbmx12345
Oh I did not know that. Are the ones sold by School for Scoundrels pure gold because I know the ones sold by Penguin are just dipped in gold twice.
" Why, Mr. Anderson, why? Why, why do you do it? Why, why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something, for more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is, do you even know? Is it freedom or truth, perhaps peace - could it
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
The "School for Scoundrels" Golden shells are not made from "pure gold" either! (They're made from English Pewter multiplecoated in gold.)
AND they are VASTLY superior over "Magic Makers" ripoff!
Magic Makers "Golden shells" ar totally FLAT on the underside, they don't even have the "twig-opening" at the back...
If you insist on saving money, buy the "School for Scoundrels" streetshells, or the "Black Fox" variants!
Better value for your money!

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I use the "Vernet Shells" dipped in the finest plastic, cheap but they work well.
Mario
Paulbmx12345
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Paulbmx12345
I've asked people about the shells I asked them if they were really "flat" but they said no they handle pretty well.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
They are flat and they handle OK if you are using a close up mat. They don't handle as nice as the sfs set and their is no way you could use them on a hard surface because when the pea comes out the shell taps on the table and gives an obvious sound.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
If they are flat does that not make them different?
Real?
Mario
Avery
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
10 Posts

Profile of Avery
I have the Magic Makers (Penguin) Golden Shells, and its true that you can not use them on a hard surface.

Can anyone recommend shells that can be used on a hard surface?
(and are not too expensive)?
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Yes,

SfS Street Shells .

Howard
Paulbmx12345
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Paulbmx12345
How are the SfS street shells becaue to me they look like regular Vernet shells.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Paul, do a search on shells, can't remember which posting but Whit Haydn tells you all about the "features" that regular Vernet DON'T have.
I'm thinking about investing in a set myself.

Howard
Paulbmx12345
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Paulbmx12345
Thank you hkwiles I will look into it. If you find the link can you please PM it to me?
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Hmmm! ? Golden shells..Magic Makers..
According to Brad Burt's website..they are his design and why even bother with the Penguin offer..if these are what you want Brad's are $25 !!

Howard
cardman1990
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of cardman1990
I don't like the gold, I think that they look funny, I mean golden nuts, whaaa? I think they only have potiential if you work em into yer patter somehow
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
See my Three Shell Routine:
http://www.mastermagic.info (click on videos)
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
I own a set of all of the different SFS shells and they are all perfect. I would never use anything else. I love my golden shells, and the Magic Makers shells do not even come close in quality.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Where to find a good mat? Sal Piacents uses a mat that appears to be exceptionally thick. I need one not only for the shell trick but also for cards.

Any suggestions?

Please send PM.

Thx.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
John Cass
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of John Cass
How about the material they make automobile headliner from? It is not extremely thick, but it compresses easily. It has a surface like felt.
Dk262
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Dk262
School for Scoundrels shells are great.
They work on any surface... every time all the time.
The material they are made from makes them look like real shells (the regular ones anyway, never saw real golden shells haha. I imagine the real golden shells wouldn't last long and would need to be guarded eh?). They are not a shiny plastic like the Vernet. They have no sharp pieces of flash that needs to be filed. That alone made them worth it to me.
If you really want a real set I also reccomend making them yourself if possible it is a fun learning experience. You can get a bag of them for $5 and make a lot of sets with them. The SFS peas are also top notch but you can make your own with a cosmetic sponge.

Golden shells ..buy the originals. They have a great weight and can also be used on any surface ...you do not want the shells to sit flat anyway.
I also think people put too much into using a close-up mat ...situations always arise where you do not have the pad with ya and you should be able to use it if you have it but do not rely on it for every trick.

Apollo pads were great and they are now sold as Zeus pads. I also recommend the Gibson pads, they last a long time (10 yrs minimum with performance and practice everyday 3-4hrs a day)I still have my apollo pad from 25yrs ago...it is just now wearing out. By wearing out I mean that it is coming off the rubber on the corner.
A pad helps the shell appear to be flat when the pea comes out but it is not necessary if practices enough.
I also believe that Geo sells real shells still and they are very reasonable at $25.
There are also real shells from Al's, Joe Stevens, and etc... that have a magnet in them ...very good workmanship also.
Just my 2cents,
DK

Oh and the plastic peas are not for practice on your lap ...haha.
The plastic peas are for putting into or "switching" into a routine because they won't come out the back.
The plastic peas stay under the shells. Watch you spectators try to do the shell game with them..entertaining for you and the other spectators.

I forgot to add ...you can use newspaper as a surface as well as making your own pads from Velvet available in any fabric shop. I used a wood base with rubber middle layer covered in Velvet and that has lasted several years (12 now) for performance.
Later,
DK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » The golden shells (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL