The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Your Thoughts on Carneycopia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I am about halfway through this masterpiece, and I am very surprised that this book isn't talked about more.

The introduction was some of the best thinking on magic that I have EVER read, and many of the tricks have made it straight into my performing routines.

I would definitely consider this a classic, but I haven't heard much about before I actually bought it off my friend (who highly recommended it). Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on this book?
~joeKing
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Is that book still out of print?
SandyWeber
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of SandyWeber
I agree. This book was one of the first I bought when I got heavily back into magic many years ago. I bought it after seeing Mr. Carney lecture. The book is brilliant. Up to that point, I had not read something that really made me think about my magic the way this book did (and does). Great routines in it too!

I don't have it, but I understand his new book (The Book of Secrets) has more marvelous thinking. According to his website, it is still out of print---although it says "temporarily".

Sandy
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
This book has been mentioned and talked about here at the Café many times. The opening essay is considered a classic. Many consider this one of the best books published in the past 15 years or so.

I appreciate Carney's great insight and personal touches. A perfect example is his work with the Erdnase/Houdini color change. His suggestions are small, but often brilliant. If you can find a copy, it is well worth picking up.
Drive Carefully
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
One of my top 5 books, a classic.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
The book alone is not very exciting---once you see Carney doing what is inside, it is a must! Carney's magic is brilliant, but to really appreciate it watch his videos, then go buy the book.

N
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
I fully agree with you, Nir!

Andre
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
Two words---"Simply Brilliant!"

OK, so maybe two words don't do it justice. This is possibly my favourite magic book. Everything Carney puts out is excellent and will only help you to become a better magician. I can't wait for him to transfer his old videos onto DVD.

Martino.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
314 Posts

Profile of A.J.
This book is indeed a classic. One of the top 10 books that I have ever read. Carney shares so much in this book beyond just great effects.
elie brown
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of elie brown
Okay, guys, what are the best card routines of Carneycopia?
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
237 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
Quote:
On 2004-04-05 15:36, Martino wrote:
... I can't wait for him to transfer his old videos onto DVD...

Amen to that!

Bob
Eschew obfuscation
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Read the last trick in the book. It's brilliant.
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
"Everwhere, Nowhere, On My Face" is definetely one of the best!
~joeKing
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
Hello,

See my mint copy in the books for sale section!

Rudy
"brownbeauty"
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
323 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
I just bought a copy at my local magic shop today. It was the last one they had. I took Larry's advice and read the last trick first. Does anybody know if he performs this on his videos or DVDs?
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
The last trick in the book "The Thirteenth Victim" is indeed on the video "Commercial Carney" and it's pretty funny too. I honestly believe that you can't go wrong with any of Carney's stuff. I'd love to meet him and take a few lesson's. Pity the Atlantic and most of the USA is in the way!
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
bumbleface
View Profile
Elite user
434 Posts

Profile of bumbleface
For those of you who have seen his lecture recently, what kind of things does he have for sale there?
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
This has to be my all-time favourite book.
I have both Carney books, "Carneycopia" and "The book of Secrets". I also own his "Classic Carney" video.

The effect 'Sanverted' is often mentioned as being the best trick, and I wouldn't agree (because I prefer other routines), but I perform this on a day-to-day basis. All the routines included have had loads of effort to make them seem as close to real magic.

The video works well as a companion to the book (I know he has several other videos, which also contain different stuff from the book). From the top of my head it contains (not in the correct order):

Half's in the Mist
Triumph Rip-Off
Hammanesque
The Match routine
The three napkin routines
The Bill in lemon, chop cup routine

Personally I think that Carney is one of the best thinkers in magic today. Having studied under the greats, he is well qualified as a well-taught student.

This is certainly proved in the "Book of Secrets"

Owen
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
323 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
Thanks for the information, Martino.
eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Is this book only on card tricks, or a bit of everything?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Your Thoughts on Carneycopia (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL