The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Halt or I'll shoot you with my Rifle! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Maybe things have changed in the last 13 years but when I left it was not so easy to acquire an automatic weapon.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes it was.

Not so much legally, but that is not what we are worried about is it?

It has been easy to get a full auto in certain neighborhoods for decades.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On May 5, 2017, Salguod Nairb wrote:

However, an AR-15 is not. Unless you're a wacko you aren't going to kill a policeman just to get his sidearm or shotgun, but an assault weapon may tip the scales.

So, non-wackos might kill policemen to get assault rifles?

We may have different definitions of "wacko."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5099 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On May 5, 2017, 0pus wrote:
Quote:
On May 5, 2017, RNK wrote:
I never said that the police should do a routine traffic stop while carrying an AR-15. If I did, please post my quote where I stated that.

In the course of discussing that the victim was killed with an AR-15, both Salguod Nairb and Dannydoyle expressed concern that the police (at least the shooter) was responding to an underage drinking complaint armed with an assault weapon.
Your response was as follows:

Quote:
On May 4, 2017, RNK wrote:
I don't blame the police for taking an AR-15. As Danny stated, a .22 would still have killed the boy. In a society today that's unpredictable, I would think the police would rather be prepared for ANY situation than not prepared.

Given the context, this looks very much like your support for the proposition that responding to an underage drinking complaint armed with assault weapons was a good and proper response for the police.

I think you can see how your words could be interpreted that way.

I do see that Opus. Also, I never said the police should have had the AR-15 in hand and ready to go at the scene. Simply have the AR-15 secured somewhere IN THE CAR as Lobowolf stated. And I stand by, the police should ALWAYS have the AR-15 in their car no matter what!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How much more in taxes are you willing to pay to provide that along with training and such? Because trust me it is a LOT.

Nobody ever thinks of that. They just want.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5099 Posts

Profile of RNK
I would be willing to pay extra for sure. Of course Danny it would be nice for you to provide a number since you seem pretty confident that its so much more than what we are paying now.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To train every officer on new weaponry? To provide said new weaponry for every officer? (Why should only some be prepared and not all?) To buy ammunition for said weaponry, and to keep officers qualified on said weaponry? Do you believe there is no cost associated with these things? Not to mention what happens to liability when this idiotic idea goes into effect.

Just how much more are you willing to pay, and worse yet force everyone else to pay to live in your police state?

And OF COURSE it is more than you are paying now! Do you really think these things are free?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Well I don't believe we should send our police officers to a gunfight with a knife. I hope you know what I mean. Just saying.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How often do you believe this happens?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
The problem is that the officers these days have to consider that they may have to face these weapons on every call.

I'm all for the second amendment, and the spirit of the right it represents. However there have to be limits that make sense, and in some ways there are - you can't own a working tank, or a grenade launcher. (I believe)

I think the argument that "the bad guys will find a way to get them" is a little weak since making them illegal would make it much harder to get them. Less made = less available and over time we'd get the ones that exist out of circulation.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I know that "making them illegal" has worked really well for keeping drugs out.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
You used to be better at nit picking Lobo.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yep making it illegal sure stopped prostitution. Makes it so much tougher to find.

And the point is no they don't face them every call.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
So there wouldn't be less of them?

Comparing them to drugs and prostitution is a little disingenuous.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Less of them? Just how many less?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Danny, if they were illegal would they be less of them in circulation?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
If they were illegal to manufacture and sell there wouldn't be less of them?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20485 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think there might be, but the reduction would be from the law-abiding citizens. It wouldn't stop the career criminals from getting them.

I thought you were more of a libertarian than that.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Halt or I'll shoot you with my Rifle! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL