The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Halt or I'll shoot you with my Rifle! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On May 14, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On May 14, 2017, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
... Freedoms are very important and must be protected. Public safety, however, can't just be swept away in the interests of property rights.

Read our constitution again with slavery in mind. It's about interpretation. Today we have a different problem. The rights of the unliving/undead/virtual as administered by those merely doing their job. What is the good if it does not show a profit on the quarterly returns?

As I noted in the other part of my post, we need to continually renegotiate our freedoms and our restrictions. It is dangerous to think that our present understanding cannot be improved.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am unwilling to renegotiate these things. That is what is so important about our Constitution. Why should I be willing to renegotiate my freedom? Sorry no not going to happen.

Anyone want to renegotiate freedom of speech? Trial by jury? Search and seizure? Not me. So why should I have to renegotiate this? Because some are short sighted?

Please use the correct pronouns. Not "we" and "our" but rather "I" and "my" are what you seem to be looking for.

The document becomes meaningless if it is constantly renegotiated.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On May 14, 2017, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am unwilling to renegotiate these things. That is what is so important about our Constitution. Why should I be willing to renegotiate my freedom? Sorry no not going to happen.

Anyone want to renegotiate freedom of speech? Trial by jury? Search and seizure? Not me. So why should I have to renegotiate this? Because some are short sighted?

Please use the correct pronouns. Not "we" and "our" but rather "I" and "my" are what you seem to be looking for.

The document becomes meaningless if it is constantly renegotiated.

You've already done it several times. Your constitution did not initially apply to women or to slaves.

Your notions of freedom of speech have been challenged (mostly expanded) by the courts as new issues come to light.

Your country (and mine, and most others) are constantly challenging themselves to look at their fundamental institutions to see if they are doing what they should.

In your country, a great example is the Civil Rights Act of 1964. In my country, the constitution was expanded and a separate Charter of Rights and Freedoms was added in 1980.

These are good things.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Then go through one of two amendment processes and get it done the way it is spelled out in the document. Is that too much to ask?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Back from my vacation to the Philippines and back to our original story...

Quote:
Oliver was fired and charged with murder in the April 29 shooting and is free on bond

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jordan-edwar......as-teen/
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
Then go through one of two amendment processes and get it done the way it is spelled out in the document. Is that too much to ask?

I think you're not understanding my point. Even apparently simple phrases as "we the people" don't mean the same thing today as they did on the day of writing. When written, "the people" did not include slaves or women.

Language is not stable, nor are beliefs about equality, justice and opportunity. This has nothing to do with amendments.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Separate but equal bathrooms.
If someone believes in afterlife, does that make it okay to kill?
BTW a cop was recently fired for not shooting someone.

Legalities and interpretation.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On May 15, 2017, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:

I think you're not understanding my point. Even apparently simple phrases as "we the people" don't mean the same thing today as they did on the day of writing. When written, "the people" did not include slaves or women.

Language is not stable, nor are beliefs about equality, justice and opportunity. This has nothing to do with amendments.

Making things intentionallydifficult does not change what rights one has.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
That notion of rights is both contextual and curiously inconsistent. Nice language though.

Holds up paper scroll and solemnly pronounces: "E-plen-Easta..."
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Halt or I'll shoot you with my Rifle! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL