The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ring and rope routines (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
If you can get hold of the video where Joachim Solberg (Danish magician) teaches Willi Wessel's ring and rope routine, there are some nice moves there.
The question really is how many moves do you need? Ring goes on, ring comes off. How many times can you do that and still have it be interesting? Mark Leveridge has a manuscript that gives a kind-of plot for it, and also has some moves, but I can't say I find the plot THAT strong.
Daryl's video has a nice use of the Sefalajia principle.
Jolyon Jenkins
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Excellent comment, rjenkins!

Too many well meaning magicians, fascinated with all the variations, earn the "Chinese Billing***"

*"ONN TU LONG"***!!!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Also remember that "ring on rope" is a concept more that a couple of tricks with a ring never seen before by most folks.

try using a coffee cup or handle of a basket "found" at the location. Scissors and some kitchen gadgets work also.

The point is that once a dozen methods are mastered you need not be limited by props, or appear to repeat.

Also, for a change up you can use the Sefalajia principle with two rings and have the rings change places on and off a rope. It comes across as a completely different magic event.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2017, rjenkins wrote:
Daryl's video has a nice use of the Sefalajia principle.

"Hindu Ring on Rope" by Stewart James? Yes, an amanzing impromptu use of the principle, in fact a real fooler especially for an educated audience. (Learned it myself in Tarbell but it should be also found in James' Expanded and Revised Encyclopedia, I guess? Hm, not even sure... have to look it up later.)

BTW, I use HRoR as phase in my Dean box routine and actually like it better than the original ring phase. Mark Wilson even describes a hybrid with the safety pin known from Sefalaljia and the handkerchief; however, I don't see any gain from diluting the purity of the James version by adding yet another gimmick/item.

Because...isn't that the real beauty? A rope and a (borrowed) ring and any piece of cloth - that's all you need and you're done!
Apart from that, I think the "kicker" end spices up the effect immensely: the knot around the ring makes some cheeky spectators believe that all you did was tying a special knot around the ring, disguising that in fact it's not threaded on the rope at all. Pulling the ends and showing the prove is a great climax then!! Smile
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I hesitate to post this link because the performance is far from perfect, but this routine ends with my own version of the Sefalaljia move. At least, I think it's my version - happy to be corrected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0AsHGLjIiw
Jolyon Jenkins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ring and rope routines (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL