The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » CGI By James Keatley (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1556 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7319

"This really looks like CGI" -Eric Jones

"That’s $%?# Amazing! I’m definitely using this" -Julius Dein

"This is my kind of magic! Very well made and self-contained. It looks how it should, like a Camera trick!" -Nicholas Lawrence

"Super visual. Limited only by your imagination" -Chris Webb

CGI is a system for making 3D objects pop out of a drawing. It's hand-made, and awesome. You can hold the card at your fingertips, there's no palming, no sleights..

It looks so good, you'll be doing it for yourself in the mirror. And you can start performing this the day you get it, because it comes complete with everything you need, including 3 hand-made custom props. A mini Rubik's cube, a die, and a Lego brick, all carefully modified to look and feel totally normal, yet appear out of nowhere.

CGI comes ready to perform straight out of the box. It’s easy to use and the self-contained gimmick does all the work for you.

You receive:

Custom made CGI gimmick
3 ready made gimmicks (Rubiks cube, Dice, Lego)
Custom stickers to use in your routines
Repair kit

Notes from Acar: As you probably guessed, this looks best from directly in front of you. Also, if you're OCD like me, just fold a card before you perform, that way the crease in the middle of the gimmick card won't arouse any suspicion, even if you're working super-close-up. Honestly, this is a non-issue in real-world working conditions, but hey, I said if you're OCD like me. Seriously, let's take a step-back and re-evaluate. Nobody gets suspicious when paper products have creases on them. Stop thinking like a magician! Ignore all of this if you're not working 12 inches in front of peoples' eyeballs. This is a great trick, and a beautifully done kit.
I highly recommend it.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7319
mayhem
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of mayhem
I saw the trailer just a bit ago, and came on here to see what others think... Looks good. I'm guessing the method is similar to other recent projects, but hoping that constructing custom gimmicks isn't too DIY...
jugagien
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of jugagien
Agreed! looks really cool....waiting for reviews....anyone?? Smile
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1679 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Looks very visual.

Side note: I'm surprised Magic Tao is still in business to be honest.
David Jonathan

Cutting Edge | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
605 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Quote:
On May 10, 2017, TuneHV wrote:
Looks very visual.

Side note: I'm surprised Magic Tao is still in business to be honest.

Lol, I'm more afraid of giving them my money than I ever am with Sansminds.
Tempted by this but going to wait for a few suckers, er I mean early adopters.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2530 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Excellent ! Chattering Teeth was Kewl ...
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of stookie31
I'd be interested to see this working in the real world, some live performances and feedback.
IMO the get ready to do such would be very difficult - looks great on video.

I worked on the same concept for a number of years prior to this release with a practical solution for real world performance.
In fact, also on the backs of playing cards but found for a practical routine the premise makes no sense or at least I preferred to develop something more tangible.

My development expanded to the releases of:
POP with Ellusionist - Fererro Rocher on a scratchcard with help from Brian Watson. This included stickers to change the object and Adam Wilbut came up with some great handlings with the addition of magnets to hold it open.
Appear8 - 8 ball from the front of a card box with BBM.
jruiz0216
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of jruiz0216
I think I will take the plunge on this. This will fit into my work environment. as we have "incentives" based around Poker chips and playing cards.
based on how I believe it works I think it will be fine.
What it looks like for me....
1. Someone wins a prize, I have 3-4 cards that they choose what they want (I'd have those 3-4 items in separate pockets)
2. I leave the chosen card in one hand place the other cards in the pocket that contains the correct item chosen
3. finger palm/palm it
4. Come out of pocket with item
5. transfer card to same had
6. Produce

Here's hoping the gimmick is easy working and I can have 3-4 made up like I'd want to
jugagien
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of jugagien
Jruiz0216 - that's actually a good routine for it. Thanks for trying it out bud.
Read on penguin messageboard about a f**p and if this works like sketch, then I'll be a bit disappointed >_<

Let us know how it goes bud Smile
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Quote:
On May 11, 2017, jugagien wrote:
Jruiz0216 - that's actually a good routine for it. Thanks for trying it out bud.
Read on penguin messageboard about a f**p and if this works like sketch, then I'll be a bit disappointed >_<

Let us know how it goes bud Smile

I don't think the gimmick is hard to work out Smile
Rob.m
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Rob.m
If you order this from Magic Tao do you think that you will get it.
The Greek
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of The Greek
Rob.m All orders for CGI have been shipped
www.Magictao.co.uk

The Source of Your Ability
gassaox
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of gassaox
Nothing new here ,just a repeated concept
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
677 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Rip off product. Plus the rubik cube ou get (the one shown in demo at 1 min 41 on the table with the lego brick and dice) are not colured to match a normal cube, the colours are in a different permutation. That shows a suvbe with blue and green enxt to each other when the standard colouts have red and green on oppiste sides, so you wont be able to use this cube in other cube matching routines.
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of stookie31
Quote:
On May 12, 2017, MazingMandy wrote:
Rip off product.

You noticed too lol
Fatgumbo
View Profile
Veteran user
Melbourne, Australia
303 Posts

Profile of Fatgumbo
Quote:
Rip off product. Plus the rubik cube ou get (the one shown in demo at 1 min 41 on the table with the lego brick and dice) are not colured to match a normal cube, the colours are in a different permutation. That shows a suvbe with blue and green enxt to each other when the standard colouts have red and green on oppiste sides, so you wont be able to use this cube in other cube matching routines.

How is this a rip-off of? This and the other trick with the 8-ball are all based on using flap cards. Several tricks with the same or similar plot have been released over the years:

X-tension
X-Change
Visualize
Frame
Ink-a-Change

This concept has been done over and over again, does any trick that involve a flap card mean its a rip-off too?

p.s this is not exposure- it's clearly stated on the penguin product page what the methodology is. you're paying for the ready-made gimmick and gimmicked items
Severingkong
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Severingkong
Quote:
On May 12, 2017, Fatgumbo wrote:
Quote:

How is this a rip-off of? This and the other trick with the 8-ball are all based on using flap cards. Several tricks with the same or similar plot have been released over the years:

X-tension
X-Change
Visualize
Frame
Ink-a-Change

This concept has been done over and over again, does any trick that involve a flap card mean its a rip-off too?

p.s this is not exposure- it's clearly stated on the penguin product page what the methodology is. you're paying for the ready-made gimmick and gimmicked items

But if the construction of the gimmick is identical or so similar to another effect (method) which pretty much does the same thing as another release (effect) surely that's a classification of a rip-off? Also I think it's ethically poor to not have researched and contacted others who have worked on similar releases to A. check it's not the same and B. ensure you credit as best as possible.

I think the reasons I've pointed out above are the issues raised in this thread.
Fatgumbo
View Profile
Veteran user
Melbourne, Australia
303 Posts

Profile of Fatgumbo
Quote:
On May 12, 2017, Severingkong wrote:
Quote:
On May 12, 2017, Fatgumbo wrote:
Quote:

X-tension
X-Change
Visualize
Frame
Ink-a-Change

But if the construction of the gimmick is identical or so similar to another effect (method) which pretty much does the same thing as another release (effect) surely that's a classification of a rip-off? Also I think it's ethically poor to not have researched and contacted others who have worked on similar releases to A. check it's not the same and B. ensure you credit as best as possible.

I think the reasons I've pointed out above are the issues raised in this thread.

At least twenty previous effects have been released using the same 'GIMMICK'

Maybe better crediting, but if you're calling this one a rip-off, then the others are as well.
stookie31
View Profile
Veteran user
305 Posts

Profile of stookie31
It's not the method, but the premise which concerns me.

I released a playing card, with objects on the back that you 'plucked off' - that I have not seen before.
and using stickers to change the objects was used for my release POP.

Even though the creators/producers of this were aware of my work, no acknowledgment has been made to my efforts to help develop the concept.
In fact, when challenged they even argued the point I was trying to make.

Very dissapointing.....but this continues in magic so I am no longer surprised.
The Greek
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of The Greek
On 29 October 2011, following a lengthy period of development Magic Tao released Pop Art. The basic principle behind this effect was to have an item ie. a pack of playing cards, pop out of a notebook. To the best of my
knowledge this principle was new and had not been done before. It has however, been done many times since.

At the same time 3D Realisation was also released by Magic Tao. This was based on the principle of an 8 ball appearing from a playing card; on the front of which was a sticker of an 8 ball. So, a track record from six
plus years ago of releasing effects using stickers, playing cards and real, 3D items that appear from the card or notebook.

James Keatley showed me a video of his initial idea for CGI in June 2016. Our conversations about CGI started many months before at a time when Magic Tao was working on a pocket size version of Pop Art. James’s
idea for CGI was therefore timely and CGI in its current form has now been released. CGI is an evolution of the principles behind both Pop Art and 3D realisation; that’s how magic works.

As for any similarity with work by Steve Rowe, any similarities are purely coincidental. To the best of my knowledge the gimmicks involved in CGI are different.

Where magicians work on something that doesn’t always make them a pioneer; there is every possibility that someone else has done something similar before. I believe that in 2011 the idea of making things ‘pop’ from
a playing card, or a notebook was new, had not been done before and was therefore pioneering. Anything after that is progression, not original. If there is an effect where an object ‘pop’s from a card, and it pre-dates
2010/2011, then it seems we’re all wrong!
www.Magictao.co.uk

The Source of Your Ability
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » CGI By James Keatley (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL