The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Grapheeteez (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
859 Posts

Profile of seamagu
I just want to klet you know of an android app thatwas released the other day by our very own Cervier.

I've had the chance to play around with it and it works really well.
Basically it allows you to take a photo with your phone and draw a circle around any object in the photo. You place your phone down and the spectator guesses which item you chose. You pick up the phone and show that you did indeed choose the item the spectator guessed.

This is a great little app to have on your phone. If you are asked to perform something with no notice.
I like the organic feel as you can take a photo of something that is there in front if you.
Well done Cervier Smile
I love post its Smile
amirb401
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of amirb401
And where can one get it from?
Pixelated
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
Just had a gamble on this and I like it.
I think it could make a nice prediction if you took a photo of a group of people, circled one of them, and then asked one of them to step forward.

Without exposure, I cant help but think there could have been more results, but maybe that will come as an update

Rich
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1212 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Thanks for the reviews Smile

I'm normally not a fan of magical apps as I fear it can too easily look like the phone is doing all the work.
When I started to write Grapheeteez, I was doing it for my own fun only and didn't plan on releasing it --until some friends whom I shared it with made me change my mind.

From the beginning, I thought that taking a picture would give me a complete freedom:

- freedom of what list of items to use, as I could (and would) change it every time

- freedom of theme, and I don't mean coosing between influence and mindreading. I mean, my first idea was to photograph the participant's face and have her think of one of her features. Then... well you can see that any, any picture will provide you with suitable items. You can take a photo of what's on the table, of what's in the room, of what's in the street, or you can prepare the photo by using a set of artefacts or cards you carry with you, or as Pixelated suggested, have people stand in a row --and why not have them take poses?

I use mainly two types of presentations (I often mix):

Phase 1: INFLUENCE, I take a picture of 4 items, tell the participant I will ask her to make a choice -but not now. I hide the screen while I circle or mark an item then put the phone down. She then says what object she's thinking of, turns the phone over and sees I had marked that very object.

Phase 2: MIND READING. We take the picture but I ask her to think of one of the items now. I then read her mind. I don't reveal the object out loud because she could say yes to be nice or no to embarrass me, so I "write" on the phone. Then she says what item she has in mind, speaking first for the same 'yes to be nice / no to embarrass me' reason and sees on the phone I had indeed read her mind.

I feel 4 items is enough and that more would be overdoing it. But if a poll says people would like to have more outs available, I'll ponder the idea Smile

"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18587 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Sounds good...on android?
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2255 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Yes .. it certainly sounds good and an intriguing concept. Like to know more.
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1212 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Yes, it's for Android. Search for "Grapheeteez" on GooglePlay Smile

What would you like to know?
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1723 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Just downlaoded it, it is a very nice little app, I do believe improvements can be made such as 8 outs (like I force by Greg Rostami) and that all the "drawing app" could be functional as well (eraser, multiple color etc..)

But nice !
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review website, new reviews coming every week ! http://lesavisdalexis.wix.com/reviews
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18587 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah, fun piece of work...

don't see why you'd want the eraser and so on to work though?

anyway, well done curvier...nice and straight forward...
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1723 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Quote:
On May 16, 2017, IAIN wrote:
Yeah, fun piece of work...

anyway, well done curvier...nice and straight forward...

Why not ? It could add realism to the whole thing. Also, the line you draw are not perfect, they look like pieces of line, it could be could to enhance those.
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review website, new reviews coming every week ! http://lesavisdalexis.wix.com/reviews
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1212 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Quote:
On May 16, 2017, Alex DLF wrote:
Quote:
On May 16, 2017, IAIN wrote:

Why not ? It could add realism to the whole thing.

Err... As a matter of fact, it wouldn't be realistic at all to start drawing with this app. That would be a major blunder.

Let's think about this a little: you're going to have someone pick one item out of a list, and you are going to write down --let's call it a prediction, even though it could be something else depending on your presentation. At any rate, writing down something could be done with a pen and a piece of paper. If you had a pen and a piece of paper, would you first make a few drawings to ease off your magician's guilt and say "see, this is a normal pen that can draw and a normal piece of paper, everything is normal"???
Even if you didn't say out loud the iner reason why you want to show "everything is real", don't you think it would distract the spectator from the main plot?

Well, that's the same with the app. You took out the phone because no paper was available, or if paper was available, because it would be more "visual" to do it that way. DON'T (please, really, don't!) all of a sudden divert from your path and do something to, "by the way", prove this is really a drawing app! They will see a mark or a cricle on the screen, that's all the proof they'll ever need!!!

I agree if laypeople use this app, their understandable and forgiveable lack of expercience at presenting effects will sometimes lead to their friends asking to have a look at the app.
Well, it will happen. I can only hope the fact I didn't care to make that app a drawing one will be a hint to them not to attract attention to it, not to a point it's the app that's doing the magic and not them Smile

Regarding the fact the lines look broken, even though they do the job, I agree they could look nicer and will put that on the "for a next version" list Smile
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1018 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
I'm having a problem with the app not revealing the correct item. It keeps selecting item 1.
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1212 Posts

Profile of Cervier
@jonnyboy send me a mail (the address is in "Instructions" or Grapheeteez' page on GooglePlay)
ma-j-cien
View Profile
New user
France
30 Posts

Profile of ma-j-cien
Hi everyone !
I've had the pleasure to be one of the first users of this ap (if not the first, maybe the second : Cervier was the first. Smile ) and I'm very pleased with it...
I'm not a huge fan of electronic in magic and mentalism, butI have a casually use of it... and it plays VERY well...

Thanks Cervier for sharing your app ! Smile

Best,
Julien
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11791 Posts

Profile of John C
Very fun. I'm into simplicity. This is as simple as it gets. Once you start adding things features it loses its simplicity.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2255 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I have just downloaded this on my Blackberry (which is not an Android device) and it works perfectly and is a lovely, simple effect and perfect to have so readily available on my phone.

It does not need to be complicated by having more choices and options. Simple in this case is undoubtedly best.

Thanks Cervier.
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1212 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Quote:
On May 17, 2017, NeilS wrote:
I have just downloaded this on my Blackberry (which is not an Android device) and it works perfectly and is a lovely, simple effect and perfect to have so readily available on my phone.

It does not need to be complicated by having more choices and options. Simple in this case is undoubtedly best.

Thanks Cervier.

I didn't know Black Berry phones could run Android apps. Well, that's good news Smile
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
885 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
No plans for iPhone?
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2662 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Is there a video of this effect to see in action ?
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2662 Posts

Profile of tophatter
No Need for a video I just checked it out really neat I will be ordering this for sure !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Grapheeteez (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL