The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Mastermind = Monte Cristo? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Can someone clarify for me what, if anything, the difference is between these two marketed trick decks?

Assuming both are printed on similar Bicycle stock, are they *exactly* the same (identical) in nature?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Recoplon
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of Recoplon
Yes, they are the same.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Exactly the same
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Good to know -- thanks!

By the way, it seems that four different varants of the Mastermind Deck (all in red Bicycle only) are currently available. A choice is available regarding the "force" card in question. The available options are 3S, 2D, 3H, or 2C.

(In each case, you must supply the matching "prediction" card yourself [traditionally in a contrasting color, e.g. blue Bicycle] -- I know this because I asked Penguin Magic.)

From a psychological (or any other) perspective: is there any reason to favor (and therefore order) one version over the other three versions? In other words, is there any practical or strategic advantage in going with the force card being one of those four options in particular, over the others?

(Or is it essentially arbitrary -- in which case, why offer four options? [And why those specific four?])
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Options for repeat shows/people.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
Those specific four are chosen because the pips are only in the center of the card. There are no pips or graphics (court cards) near the sides. Therefore, when you do a spread showing the 52 different cards, you are less likely to have an unwanted pip/graphic show up that wouldn't match the corner indices + pips which are showing.
montanna40
View Profile
Loyal user
252 Posts

Profile of montanna40
That is true
Which is why I have 3 of them so I can switch the decks out if they want it repeating
NWJay
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of NWJay
For those of you who have used this deck, is it worth the money? Does it get good reactions?
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I like it, I do get good reactions with it. However, I only ring it in very rarely and only use it for one effect.
NWJay
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of NWJay
@rowdymagi5 Thanks for your reply. Hmm, not convinced then for that amount I can justify the expense at this time...
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Looks like Penguin Magic was wrong. I just bought a Mastermind deck, and it actually did come with a matching "prediction" card of a contrasting back color (red deck, blue extra card) supplied.

It occurs to me that the basic effect is similar to just the first part of Doc Eason's "Impossible Opener" (spectator's genuinely freely chosen card he slides out of a face-down ribbon-spread deck is found to match magician's prediction card, which has been in sight the whole time), lacking only its big surprise finale (revealing all other cards in the deck are identical, but not the same as the magician's prediction or the spectator's uniquely matching selection).

The advantage of the MM deck is its ability to be spread face up to show all cards different, both right at the outset and again at the conclusion (if desired), which of course is impossible for the Impossible Opener.

I also have a question relating to a fine point regarding setup and performance of the basic MM effect described above, but as it's difficult to pose without giving away trade secrets I'll pose it elsewhere, in the "Secret Sessions" forum.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Another deck to look out for, which is basically the same but with King of Hearts (if I recall correctly) is "Reshuffled" by Pedro Morillo.

//Dan
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Reshuffled is not quite the same thing. Don't want to get into exposure but it is not the same as others, although there is a similar element.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Dan just took me to school on this. He's absolutely correct. Reshuffled is the same thing as the others. I was thinking about Anton James' "Unshuffled" deck, which is a different animal altogether. Sorry to have caused any confusion. And thanks for the clarification, Dan.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
MagicMark502
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of MagicMark502
So many great ideas/routines can be performed with this deck! So glad to have found it.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2017, MagicMark502 wrote:
So many great ideas/routines can be performed with this deck! So glad to have found it.

... even with half of that gaffed deck (+ another half regular cards). One of MY favorites.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
415 Posts

Profile of MitchC
You guys care to share the effects, routines, performers using the Mastermind Deck ?
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
What's the best source for getting the Mastermind decks right now?

I see that they are available from Penguin Magic for around $30, but I've seen some negative press on the card quality of their decks, and that they don't spread evenly and clump quickly (which makes them rather useless). Does anyone have experience with a Mastermind deck from Penguin, and whether this was an issue?
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Yes. They’re rubbish.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2018, pegasus wrote:
Yes. They’re rubbish.

Clumping makes them rather useless if you can't get a decent spread - has anyone tried fanning powder and did that help at all?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Mastermind = Monte Cristo? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL