The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » EYE CANDY (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I have been reviewing my show and looking at how I can attract more people. Looking around at other buskers I have come up with a few observations.

So a juggler can pull out a set of knives and say I will juggle these razor sharp knives and people will hang around. But with magic we cant say and I will take your signed bill and it will appear in that lemon. This is where I find somthing like Mario Morris Most Dangerous Card Trick helps.

Also I feel Magicans don't have the big eye candy props as such, Like a 12ft Uni-cycle, fire torches, chain saw and a straight jacket . I see potential in pop Hayden transporter device. You cam pull it out it makes noise/ colour and movment and you say what it is and what its capable of.

In other note and looking at photo I think Magicans dress to ordinary compared to other street entertainers like jugglers and acrobats. It take more then a waist coat and hat to stand out. (I am guilty of this to point were I have considered burning my go to costume and buying something ridicules from a costume shop)

So I want to know what,
-is your eye candy?
-is your promise or hook?
-is it that make you stand out?

Thank you for reading and any advice greatly received.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2746 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I know this is going to sound stupid and repressed but;

It's called a "strait-jacket." A "straight jacket" is a brown corduroy blazer that no gay man would ever be caught dead in.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1172 Posts

Profile of imgic
Silks are great eye candy....colorful, lots of movement...great for what your looking for,

Also small folding footstool. I just picked one up at Home Depot for 10 bucks. It s 10" high, black plastic with rubberized top. Had a small curved indentation on the front that I glue paper with MAGIC printed on it. Looks like a little marquee sign. I call it the worlds smallest magic stage. Point is it adds almost a foot...helps catch people's eye.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Chatterbox41
View Profile
Veteran user
Atlanta, Georgia
346 Posts

Profile of Chatterbox41
Quote:
On May 20, 2017, Yellowcustard wrote:
I have been reviewing my show and looking at how I can attract more people. Looking around at other buskers I have come up with a few observations.

So a juggler can pull out a set of knives and say I will juggle these razor sharp knives and people will hang around. But with magic we cant say and I will take your signed bill and it will appear in that lemon. This is where I find somthing like Mario Morris Most Dangerous Card Trick helps.

Also I feel Magicans don't have the big eye candy props as such, Like a 12ft Uni-cycle, fire torches, chain saw and a straight jacket . I see potential in pop Hayden transporter device. You cam pull it out it makes noise/ colour and movment and you say what it is and what its capable of.

In other note and looking at photo I think Magicans dress to ordinary compared to other street entertainers like jugglers and acrobats. It take more then a waist coat and hat to stand out. (I am guilty of this to point were I have considered burning my go to costume and buying something ridicules from a costume shop)

So I want to know what,
-is your eye candy?
-is your promise or hook?
-is it that make you stand out?

Thank you for reading and any advice greatly received.


Well Yellowcustard, as you know I'm probably the least qualified person to get involved in this discussion, but since so few are commenting let me share some of my thoughts I've been working on or thinking about.

As for dress, my wife has bought me some quite colorful t-shirts and a Hawaiian shirt that I can wear over it open... I guess similar to Kozmo although she hasn't seen him so it's her idea. In addition I usually wear caps so am looking for a golf cap that will go with the shirts that is also bright. I was watching a video by Michael Finney where he shows how he dresses up his table by using velcro so he can change out material to match his color scheme so may try that at some point as well... going out for the first time this weekend so am not really prepared as well as I'd like to be with my wardrobe, table, etc.

I thought of scarf juggling... colorful and bright and not seen often... but don't think outdoors would be good. I think even a little breeze and they're gone.

One thing I want to try as a way to get peoples attention is using a Geoflux... I bought it a couple years back when I was working as Santa in a mall and saw how people flocked to it so bought it for the time that I actually did hit the streets. It's fun and young and old will stand and watch. Hoping I can use it to lead to the magic. Here's a short YouTube clip of one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNyn8Xj-q8E

Promise? Have no clue! I've seen jugglers talk about juggling fire and Gazzo promising to float a card in mid air (and then sticking it to the end of his wand while it's tucked under his arm but by then he's hooked them). I don't see how you could promise to burn a borrowed bill, etc. Still thinking about it. I have seen Sonny Holliday promise that he will do one of the greatest and oldest tricks in magic at the beginning of his act and show the cups on his table. Still working it out and am sure it will improve for me over time.

For me, I hope my character, dress, humor, and magic will make me stand out over other buskers in the area.

Just my thoughts,

Gary
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1080 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey General Custer,
a good question. Questions.
It's a hard one to answer.
But as you know,
probably the hardest part of Street Performing,...
getting an audience.

We go about it with two lines of thought.

First: We want our Audience, to select us.

We're are honestly NOT out,
to play for 'everybody'.
We are selective,
in that our potential Audience;
THEY must select us.
,...on OUR level.
(Offer 'em cheap laughs and flashy colours,
..you'll get and Audience wanting cheap laughs and.....)

We actually 'trick' them into this 'feel',
by ignoring everybody, at first.
We just set-up,...
consciously aware of the space,
but NOT inter-acting with folks.
,..or, at the most,...lightly.
We establish OUR niveau.

This 'no-Show', is a big Show.

(We pull the Audience tighter,
AFTER our first three minutes.
These three minutes, are also our strongest,..
most confident number.
We expect re-action, after them.)

Our second strategy is:
Playing Pitches, townes, avenues,
were Street Performing ISN'T expected.

This really makes US stick out.

.....very effective.

After that, we stand by our Show.
We give the folks what WE like.
What WE like doing.
What WE ourselves would like to see.

This ISN'T the most financially lucurative approach,
but we can go out and do it 'day for day'.
We don't burn-out so fast.
And, we're still having fun with it,...
after all these years.

I wish you well buddy.
Good luck with your 'Winter season'. ⛄️
gallagher
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Learn to juggle knives...after the crowd has formed start your magic!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On May 21, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
I know this is going to sound stupid and repressed but;

It's called a "strait-jacket." A "straight jacket" is a brown corduroy blazer that no gay man would ever be caught dead in.


This is not stupid. Its a form of restraint to restrain somebody's movement. So not only did I spell it wrong I had competently the wrong meaning. Words tell stories.

IMGIC- Silks are perfect, in fact one of the many item I have brought from a magic convention and never used is a great multi phase silk routine I will dig that out and practice over the winter months. Also yes foot stall. I have looked at these in the past but always been on the max end of the weight limit but I have lost wegith so will re think that thank you.
CHATTERBOX41- I don't see you as least qualified you probably have new and fresh thinking around things we should all review at times. Hawaiian shirts are great as they are easy to carry and and you can go to the super market in them unlike if your painted silver. Geoflux look great easy to do very visaul and repatable toally perfect for eye candy edge building.
GALLAGHER- I have been looking and thinking a lot about what do I project and as a result what dose the attract and what exceptions are in place.
ROCKY- You are bang on, How ever I am also trying to make a transportable show that can be took on has hand luggage. But yes may be I should just juggle knives!

This has been great and really added to my thinking around this. What I have is fine but can I make that stronger or is there somthing else? Time will tell.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
When I was busking balloons way back when, I would get a crowd by giving away simple balloon animals. Then I would give half a dozen or so uninflated balloons to kids who are with their parents, and tell them that I'll make them an animal after the show, which keeps them there.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2746 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On May 24, 2017, Yellowcustard wrote:
Quote:
On May 21, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
I know this is going to sound stupid and repressed but;

It's called a "strait-jacket." A "straight jacket" is a brown corduroy blazer that no gay man would ever be caught dead in.


This is not stupid. Its a form of restraint to restrain somebody's movement. So not only did I spell it wrong I had competently the wrong meaning. Words tell stories.

IMGIC- Silks are perfect, in fact one of the many item I have brought from a magic convention and never used is a great multi phase silk routine I will dig that out and practice over the winter months. Also yes foot stall. I have looked at these in the past but always been on the max end of the weight limit but I have lost wegith so will re think that thank you.
CHATTERBOX41- I don't see you as least qualified you probably have new and fresh thinking around things we should all review at times. Hawaiian shirts are great as they are easy to carry and and you can go to the super market in them unlike if your painted silver. Geoflux look great easy to do very visaul and repatable toally perfect for eye candy edge building.
GALLAGHER- I have been looking and thinking a lot about what do I project and as a result what dose the attract and what exceptions are in place.
ROCKY- You are bang on, How ever I am also trying to make a transportable show that can be took on has hand luggage. But yes may be I should just juggle knives!

This has been great and really added to my thinking around this. What I have is fine but can I make that stronger or is there somthing else? Time will tell.


It's all right. 90% of the time the word is used wrong. The Houdini action figure my kids got for me on Father's Day has on the package that he comes with; "manacles, rope, a chair and a straight jacket!" It's just a bugaboo of mine.
Smile
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » EYE CANDY (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL