The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls balls (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr Rick
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
72 Posts

Profile of Dr Rick
I know it's largely going to be a matter of personal preference but is there much variation between the available balls in terms of learner progression

I was once told by a golfer friend if I couldn't afford good clubs make sure I use good balls

I've nothing to add to the cups debate but is this important?

Bill - is there a ball museum?
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I can only speak from my own experience. I suggest starting with crochet-covered balls that have a solid core and some weight. The RNT2 balls have a wooden core and the textured surface helps palming. Rubber balls like superballs feel great in the hand, but the friction against the side of the cup makes sliding the cup really tough. You might start with a diameter with which you can do the sleights comfortably at first -- maybe 7/8" or 3/4". In time you might feel in control enough to go to larger sizes. Good luck. It's fun.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1251 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
For Gazzo cups I like the Gazzo soccer balls. They have a good size and weight to them. They also don't bounce, which is a plus.

For smaller cups I still like something a little larger and with a bit of weight to them. Some of the small stitched baseballs are good. I've also used mouse balls which was easy to get when I worked in IT. We used to throw away tons of mice. The only bad thing is their color (wall putty). It tends to blend in with my skin, which could be a good or bad thing depending how you look at it.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1644 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I do like Vernon.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
749 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I have several sets collected over the years, they all have their pro/con. As you know it is personal preference but performing venue can have an effect on which you choose.
Of the sets I have one is made using an old style computer mouse ball covered in a monkey fist pattern with a nylon twine. They are very heavy compared to other sets and can be noisy in the cups
but they have the advantage of staying put outdoors when the wind picks up.
The other sets are a standard crochet balls and a set of plain cork balls. Bother are quiet, easy to handle but can get away from you if you work outdoors.
Balls are pretty inexpensive so picking up several different styles/sizes and finding what you like is easy.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I tie monkey fist knots out of magicians rope. This helps keep them from rolling off the table in the wind.

One spool of inexpensive magicians rope will make a whole bag of them quick and easy like, there are YouTube tutorials on the monkey fist knot,

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
My favourites are rubber ones, they grip you back! But I can see why others would find them annoying to work with, they grip everything. For cheap and cheerful I've made little pom-poms, just a ball of wool and a fork will yield a lot of balls for little investment. They are great for clip/pinch-style palms! Plus they come in whatever colour I choose from the haberdashery and I can choose the size. The downside is they're quite lightweight so will blow in the wind.

The traditional balls were just cork, which I have worked with and they're actually very nice, but the crochet does add some advantages against unwanted sound and rolling. The Rolls-Royce of balls I've purchased were leather monkey fists. They are a pleasure to use, don't roll, feel nice and work whatever the weather. But they were far too expensive!
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
There is a lady in Florida who makes balls for cups and balls and chop cup. She uses a super ball for the inner core, so they have some weight and firmness. She can make them out of any yarn, but I have directed her to do the tight not and non fuzzy yarn, which I prefer. You can see her work on her Facebook page.

Karen's Magic Crochet

Here's the link. You probably have to join before you can see anything.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/103045600126865/?ref=search
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
As JoeJoe said, monkey fists are not hard to tie, and instructions are easy to find. I've made several sets out of leather. Go to a large fabric store like Joann Fabrics or a craft store like Michael's, and you can buy several yards of leather thong in many colors -- different shades of brown, white, black, red. Experiment to learn how long a strip you need to buy. For centers, you can buy cork or wooden balls in various sizes on the Internet.
Sidney A. Salmans
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Sidney A. Salmans
If I could get someone to make them, it would be a set of balls that were like small, tightly packed Hacky Sack balls. They would have the properties that I would be looking for - they would not bounce, would not roll, and not make much noise when secretly loaded in a cup.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1942 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Think outside the ball.

Key limes are really nice, if you can find small ones. Great texture and grip, don't talk, don't bounce.
Big grapes, strawberries, don't drop them too much.
Fake rubber bugs or whatever.

I don't do C&B much anymore, but I still like going to toy stores, dollar stores, yard sales, and related searching for an epiphany.
Or tie your own.

I make balls too, they're sold through Theambitiouscard.com, Frank also sells Felt balls and I believe leather Monkey Fist.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Josh Riel:

I bought a set of your Emerald Green Monkey Fist Balls from Frank at The Ambitious Card for my Mendoza Combo Cups and THEY ARE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BALLS FOR CUPS I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!

He used to have my comment on the web site, but it went bye-bye........not sure why.....
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1942 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Thank you, I'm glad you liked them!
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
mindacrossrhino
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of mindacrossrhino
I recently purchased a Don Alan Mini chop cup from Rings-N-Things and this came with an adjustable chopped crocheted ball i.e. you could change the strength of the m****t with a special tool they provided. Personally not needed to do this as it was set perfectly on receipt, but some people like a firmer/less firm release. Especially useful I would think if you switch between an in the hands routine and a table based routine.

In my experience (limited I've only ever owned six different cups/balls), these are the best I have come across. I would think that the tailorability of the balls makes them the gold standard, at least in terms of function.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls balls (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL