The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 21st Century BOT (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1554 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I have been away from the Café for a little while as I haven't been feeling well due to my health issues. I have acquired a number of PM's to reply to while I have been gone, so if you see this thread and wonder why I haven't replied to an earlier PM it is simply because I haven't gotten to it yet,ok? I will get to you soon and I apologize in advance for my tardiness.

In the meantime, I have finally gotten back around to writing again and have a new release to share with some of you fine folks. This one is a VERY strong piece that involves two spectators and every Mentalists' favourite tool: playing cards! Smile

In all seriousness, if cards are not your thing then you won't be interested in this - which is a real shame since it uses a very interesting principle along with a very special formula I worked out that feels like the REAL thing - even to yourself.

This effect allows you to have ANY card thought of from a normal deck without restrictions and know EXACTLY what card they have literally only "thought of". There is no fishing or questions and no sleight of hand is involved either. It has a squeeky clean look and feel to it and everything is 100% examinable since it uses just a straight deck.

I'm not going to bother with a description here as I don't wish to hype anything. If you are at all familiar with my work, then you should already have an idea of what to expect in terms of quality. I will only say that this one is exceptionally strong and that I am quite certain that this will make you smile from ear to ear when you discover how it works. If you'd like in on it, then simply PM me with a request. I am only going to share a few copies of this so it's best to act fast.

Lastly, a big heartfelt hug and "thank-you" to those who have bothered to check in with me lately to see if I was "ok". You'd be amazed at how much impact little things like that can have on someone's life. Thank-you.
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Another winner from Sudo. He has quite the knack for embellishing, and therefore greatly improving, existing routines. And he's a kind and generous soul as well. Even though we've never met, I'm proud to consider him a friend.

JD
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7039 Posts

Profile of bowers
Excellent effect as I would expect no less from Sudo.
Glad to see you back with us my friend.Thanks for sharing with me.
Todd Smile
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
914 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
This is AMAZING!!!! I love every bit of it and what a great return to the scene.

I loved how he detailed the evolution of this effect Smile This is another winner from Sudo.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1554 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I am touched by your comments guys, and happy to have shared with you all and to hear that you have enjoyed this.

If I may, I'd like to share an experience and some thoughts I had earlier this evening - for whatever it's worth.

I have a lady friend who is much older than I (in her 70's) - bless her heart. Tonight she picked me up and we went out for dinner as she knows how sick I have been lately with my bipolar disorder. I don't think many people realize that severe depression can actually make you physically ill as well. Anyways, the surprise was that I got to perform for some people that she knew. It was wonderful. Two hours had passed and they were still begging for more.

It was the first REAL performance I have given in nearly two years. I wasn't really prepared for it either as I didn't know this was going to happen and I had very little on me except for what I usually have: a deck of cards, a stack of blank business cards with a rubber band round it, and a few bills in my pocket with some change.

My lady friend had really hyped me up a lot to these people and for a brief moment, my gut instinct was that I wanted to just climb under the table and hide. I was worried that maybe I had lost my edge with everything that has happened in my life with my past struggles with addiction and not performing for the last two years. Or better put, I was worried that maybe the "twinkle" in my eyes had faded. So I sat quietly for a few moments while they sat there, watching my every move and patiently waiting, not knowing what to expect.

And then I began to speak - without worry. Quietly, slowly, and deliberately. I just released control of everything. I didn't try to control anything at all. I didn't worry about what I was going to do for them. I wanted to just open up lines of talk and see where it took us and base my selection of material around that. There was a strange calmness there I have never felt before. Throughout the entire performance, there was never a single moment where I didn't feel that I was in complete control of the audience, and yet I didn't even care about that at all. They were absolutely loving the experience and were hanging on almost every word it seems. It was apparent that I was human, that I was vulnerable, and yet these miracles were occurring despite of that and also despite how slow and casual everything was. It just seemed like I was doing nothing to them. (I only know this because they kept saying this to each other.) I can't ever recall a performance ever being so effortless for me, and yet so powerful for my audience. I can only describe it as a pure "Zen" moment.

How is it that I was sharper tonight than I have ever been despite not having performed for nearly two years? I wonder what has changed? Is it that I am clean and sober now? Certainly, audiences haven't changed.

Of course, the answer here is that "I" have changed.

Sometimes, you have to lose it all before you really understand what you actually do have(or what you HAD), what matters in life, and what has actual value. Looking back, it is easy to see what conditions led me to addiction. But really, it could have all been avoided entirely if I had only been able to appreciate what I truly had already despite how hard life was at the time. I had also completely underestimated the infinite capacity for things to become infinitely worse too.

Tonight, I got to spend some time performing for some people for two hours. And I never got paid a cent. And I have also never been more grateful.

You see, that's the rub right there. How many of us take our audiences for granted? I can't ever remember feeling so grateful to perform my heart out - and I certainly gave it my all tonight. Do you feel genuinely happy to be able to perform for others or do you just take it for granted? I see this now. I think I sort of realized it during the performance tonight too. Maybe for the first time ever - I ACTUALLY cared about my audience as humans and for giving me their undivided attention. I remember a long time ago, that this was the authentic me - how I felt all the time when I performed. Then doors started opening up and I don't really know what happened, but somewhere along the way I forgot that our audiences are a gift. I remember scoffing at gigs for $275.00 for two hours of close-up - not too long ago and actually turned them down - and on more than one occasion. Now I'd happily do them for free!

I guess the point here is, be grateful. Never take things in life for granted - even simple things such as performing in a casual situation. And remember: your audiences are a gift - you have nothing without them. There is something about this thankfulness that is communicated to your audiences, and it works in wondrous ways.

Count your blessings and be thankful.
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
156 Posts

Profile of Davdo
Thank you for sharing something so honest and personal. I think, especially on these boards with all the technical and high-concept chatter, it's easy to forget that we're all real people - your story is not only inspiring but also a much-needed reminder that we've all got lives beyond the mentalism or magic or whatever.

Thanks again.

Dave
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2081 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi All,

Sudo was kind enough to share 21st Century BOT with me and I'm grateful he did. Easy in execution (with just a little learning on your part), this effect provides an opportunity for two volunteers to participate in a simple game with a mystifying conclusion. Sudo has taken an old idea, slimmed it down for today's hectic lifestyle, and created an effect that will certainly bring a sense of wonder to your volunteers. I think it would be ideal for a small, informal gathering (friends visiting, having dinner at a restaurant, etc.) and perfect as a segue into more involved routines, should you decide to give further demonstrations of your mentalistic gifts Smile

Regards, Steve
Caveman
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Caveman
Thank you for that story Sudo, those are the kinds of moments we live for! Its wonderful for a spectator, but to feel so good about it as a mage is really special.
Yogi2x4
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of Yogi2x4
Thank you Sudo, we are blessed to have such a good person in our presence. Easy to forget what it's for in the struggle where we're going. I do too often...

Wish I could have seen that show.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1554 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I am not a "good" person, though I am trying to be. I think "good" people don't have to work at it. I often wonder what the point in "trying" is, when the world's gone mad and is full of corruption. I mean, we still have people killing one another in the name of religion and doing horrific things like bombing a kids' concert.

It breaks my heart.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2000 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I think we all have trouble today with communicating what certain words mean. Good is an example. Am I a good person? I'm not a bad person. I try to be a good person. I am of the opinion that we largely are what we attempt to be. Perhaps I get a little too hunky-dory about it, but I am happier that way than being strictly literal.

I will say this: Sudo, you are generous. In a thread where I was just not understanding what you were saying you were very patient as you tried over and over to get through to me. You are candid and share things like what you posted above. Whether or not you see yourself as "good," I think it is hard to deny that you do things for total strangers that they (we) think are good things. In my opinion, that makes you one of the good guys. Thank you.

Oh, and 21st Century Bot is another gift that pleases me very much. I will be using this. I will enjoy using it. I really like about your work that it is so cleanly thought out. Thank you for this, as well.

Patrick
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4545 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Hi!

Tried to PM you, Mr. Sudo. (Your box is full)

If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me a copy? Or send it to:
Sixtenmagic@optonline.net (If you already sent out your quota, I Thank You anyway!)

Warmest regards,
Sixten Smile
ThoZ
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ThoZ
I am also very interested in this work Smile
Would be awesome if you could PM or mail me:
info@thozmind.de
Dr Art
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Dr Art
Another winner of an effect. Great thought and ingenuity went into 21st Century BOT. Sudo is one of those creators that has worked his effects in the real world and you can count on whatever he puts out to have a well thought out premise, workable technique and an overall magical or mental impact on the specs. And inside the workings of the effects are elements that can be used elsewhere….always inspiring.

Sudo is adding a dimension of warmth and heart to the forum and his posts can often stop you in your tracks. He is generous with his magic goodies and generous with his character.
Caveman
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Caveman
Sudo was generous enough to share this effect with me, and once again I'm very impressed with his thinking. Sudo is able to see numbers and patterns in a way that many do not. Sudo, thank you for applying your gift to the art of magic and mentalism. And, thank you for your generosity!
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2000 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
More than seeing the numbers and patterns, he is able to explain things effectively. Good explanations are rare and valued.

Patrick
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2281 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

Sudo was generous to share this with me, and let me tell you this is good!

Though the method is old as the hills, I love the tweaks that Sudo has made to really make it stand out, and no you don't you any gimmicks, or marked decks.

Any deck can be used, and with 100% accuracy you know the thought of card with easy.

Not hard to do, and will take some practice to get down, if you don't already know something about cards, if you do, this is a breeze, and something that you will be adding to your repertoire.

Little nuances, adjustments, tweaks, is what make all the difference in effects, especially if one can make them better, cleaner, and linear.

Thanks Sudo for this.

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
156 Posts

Profile of Davdo
I was also fortunate to read this...

I like Sudo's take on an old method. It refreshes it and removes some of the questionable parts of the original idea... The use of any deck, and a nice justification of the steps. As he laid it out, Sudo details a very strong effect.

After reading the earlier pages that outline Sudo's process of adapting and some background on the original, I was also inspired to consider what it would take to do this completely impromptu. That inspiration did the trick and I now have a very nice, almost hands-off version that I simply love.

Sudo has done two special things with this manuscript; he has rejuvenated a classic method, an email he has given readers a rarely seen glimpse into the working process of an innovative mentalist.

Thanks again.

Dave
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1476 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On May 29, 2017, Davdo wrote:
I was also fortunate to read this...

I like Sudo's take on an old method. It refreshes it and removes some of the questionable parts of the original idea... The use of any deck, and a nice justification of the steps. As he laid it out, Sudo details a very strong effect.

After reading the earlier pages that outline Sudo's process of adapting and some background on the original, I was also inspired to consider what it would take to do this completely impromptu. That inspiration did the trick and I now have a very nice, almost hands-off version that I simply love.

Sudo has done two special things with this manuscript; he has rejuvenated a classic method, an email he has given readers a rarely seen glimpse into the working process of an innovative mentalist.

Thanks again.

Dave

Look at "Sort Of The Truth" in ASYMPTOTES for a totally impromptu handling.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5827 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Sudo shared this .pdf with me and I'm excited to see attention going to a routine structured to have the participants get a chance to see just how difficult it is to read someone's mind... If you go that route with the performance.

Typical of Sudo's adaptations this is a power packed entertainment piece!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 21st Century BOT (36 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL