The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » Will Tsai - AGT. Mind=Blown (119 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
RayRannala
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
32 Posts

Profile of RayRannala
Quote:
On May 31, 2017, Will Tsai wrote:
Hi folks, old friends and new, it's Will here. Just got a moment to myself after a couple days of crazy press experience. I am super grateful that my act got such attention. I haven't had time to read through the thread. From what I have seen on the thread, some people like it, some people hate it. In both cases I am happy most were entertained either by the act or by the debate. I just want to say thank you for taking your time and allow me to share my moment with you. Quite a few PMed me and said I disgrace magic and I am not qualified to be a magician.. if I am allowed to chime in on the discussion as well, to me magic is magic. And magic is art. It's not what's involved that makes the magic, rather, the message behind the tricks that an artist wants to deliver. All the performance that I intended is in the patter. The visual was designed to assist. Art is an intimate thing for me. All I wanted to do on that stage is to share a part of the life experience from my past. How I saw life as it is when I was about to die in hospital bed a couple years ago. The chase of achievement, the way money comes and goes, and most of the time people, including myself forgot to take a moment, breathe, feel, and smile. Life is a beautiful thing... For those who stated that I am not a qualified magician or a bad magician.. I have never claimed to be good and I don't intend to. However, I was happy, that I could share a part of my life on that stage doing things I created to express just that.. Just want to leave the record here so for those who plan to message me further with how magic should be done, please understand each of us has a different story to tell, and different ways to tell them.

Just my two cents.

Best,
-will

Will, I was in a room full of laymen and everybody was thoroughly entertained and baffled as was I. This was the closest to "real magic" I have ever seen. Please ignore the debate over sleight vs. mechanical method. It is the entertainment value that counts and nothing else! Bravo!!!!
Ray
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I haven't read this thread, nor do I plan to. But I want to go on record as saying that there are literally thousands of years worth of traditional approaches to conjuring that consititute the cornerstone of the mystery arts. This tradition is something special, unique, and beautiful. I'm stating this as an opinion only, but I strongly disagree with the attitude of "only the effect" matters. The traditional approach to theatrical conjuring has been a constant catalyst for innovation, cleverness, and discovery. I personally don't want to see magic become a series of Technological special effects.

I voiced this on Facebook and was seriously flamed for it. I don't plan on defending or debating my opinion, so feel free to let this anger you as much as you wish. I'm writing this because I have so much love and respect for our unique tradition, and it's a viewpoint worth considering.

Ben
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
510 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Maybe we should call Marco Tempest and tell him to knock it off. Really, a debate over a magician doing his material on AGT. Whats to debate, he rocked a-- and should be congradulated for it.
Great job Will.

NM
Merenkov
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Merenkov
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2017, Ben Blau wrote:
I haven't read this thread, nor do I plan to. But I want to go on record as saying...

I haven't read your entire post, nor do I intend to. Smile But I would bet money that you have no idea how Will Tsai performed his miracle, and that's all that matters...
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2017, Merenkov wrote to Ben Blau:
But I would bet money that you have no idea how Will Tsai performed his miracle, and that's all that matters...

Omar Pasha would take your money in an instant.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Will, don't allow peoples unresolved emotions to affect you. In these times people are trying to find resolve outside of themselves by engaging others in petty banter as they do not have the capacity to face themselves - the real work needs to be done within - as opposed to attempting to dismantle the power base of others who have the courage to follow their dreams. By putting yourself on the public stage unconscious individuals will use you as a target for their projections. Pay no mind to it.

I came to this thread for one reason. To say the following;

This is perhaps the most incredible piece of magic to have ever been shown on television. Ever.

I am so impressed that someone put this together. It is absolute genius. I send my sincere congratulations to you Will. I am so thrilled to see what you will share going forward. I am hooked to the show now. Thank you from my heart for inspiring me.

Warmest and kindest regards to all.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
A player piano is a marvel of engineering.

But it doesn't belong in a talent contest.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, Tim Cavendish wrote:

But the way a pianist uses it belongs in a talent competition...
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, SleepyMagic wrote:
Quote:

Your answer would indicate you do not know what a player piano is.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1646 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, Steven Conner wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

isn't it just a piano...surely a pianist will be called a piano player not player piano
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, Steven Conner wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

isn't it just a piano...surely a pianist will be called a piano player not player piano

No it isn't just a piano. It plays by itself.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
328 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Quote:
On May 29, 2017, Merenkov wrote:
I’m puzzled by comments like, “The audience was entertained…but I doubt they were fooled.” I’ve been playing around with Matrix routines for 35 years, and I was completely fooled. The first time I saw Dean Dill perform his Explosion routine, the appearance of the final coins looked like trick photography to me. Perhaps Will has a tricky table, but is it mechanical or some type of digital surface? If mechanical, it’s an unfathomable marvel to me. If it’s digital, then he has to ditch those clearly physical coins in some fashion that is also unfathomable to me. Watch the video again, and look at the stunned faces of the judges and audience members. They were clearly, unambiguously, fooled…and entertained.

That's what I got from it too. Thought process was, sleight, sleight, sleight, camera trick, camera trick, WTF!

For me, was I still doing magic, or indeed a matrix-type routine, I'd have left out the visible bits, I think, but it's a stunning matrix either way. Chad Long's matrix (Boston!) is still my favourite although I don't do it nowadays.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
DJTrix wrote:

Quote:
n these times people are trying to find resolve outside of themselves by engaging others in petty banter as they do not have the capacity to face themselves - the real work needs to be done within - as opposed to attempting to dismantle the power base of others who have the courage to follow their dreams. By putting yourself on the public stage unconscious individuals will use you as a target for their projections. Pay no mind to it.

OR...They could just be people who have opinions that differ from yours.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
Reading this thread reminds me why I quit hanging out with other magicians. It was an amazing effect, that's the purpose if it.
rodc
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of rodc
Ok, time to add my thoughts to one side of the debate. First off, I love when any magician is featured on tv. Because I love the art. I loved the trick right up to the point where the cover was removed. don't get me wrong, this is where people watching now have discard skill from their minds and ask themselves what is left to explain this. I have a pretty good idea how he did this trick. I prefer that cover, hand movements, props etc.. all add to the spectators thinking that it is the skill of the performer that is what is accomplishing any magic they see. Even though some illusions could never happen as ones sees it, no matter how skilled you are. There has to be a gimmick, trick table etc... to pull it off. but in my opinion it is still better when using a gimmick to give the impression that is was the magicians skill that accomplished it. I hate it, when the audience is forced into a corner with no explanation other than "ah he used a gaff, gimmick, trick table" that is not where a good performer takes people in my opinion.
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Thoughts:
1) I liked the matrix with cards.
2) I was wowed by the no-cards matrix, but the magician in me is reluctant to appreciate it, because it smacks of gimmicked table.

But then I thought: people use ITR to make stuff fly. How is it different from coins disappearing and reappearing? Not much. In both case it's a gimmick, and in both cases what's happening defies the laws of physics.

So, my new thoughts are:
1') I liked the matrix with cards.
2') Will set the bar high.
3) I will keep on making my magic strong so that even with SoH (which I fancy) I'll be able to leave at least similar impression on audiences who've seen Will's performance.

P!
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, Ado wrote:

3) I will keep on making my magic strong so that even with SoH (which I fancy) I'll be able to leave at least similar impression on audiences who've seen Will's performance.

But keep in mind Ado that when performing a Matrix routine on a stage in a large theater it is probably quite helpful to use some extra gimmickry to create a sense of wonder. Whereas, using only SOH but performing right under their noses can be extremely impactful as well. Don't underestimate how powerful an effect can be when presented live right in front of their faces. I would argue that I have witnessed many people absolutely freak out watching sponge balls appear in their hand even more so than anyone seeing Will's beautiful routine.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Earlier in this thread, somebody suggested Will's performance was like a musician bringing a player piano to a talent competition. I would accept that analogy with these stipulations:

1. The musician designed and built the player piano himself.
2. The player piano was used to present an original arrangement by the musician.
3. The piece performed was a duet, requiring active participation by the musician throughout.
4. Nobody had ever seen a player piano before.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
328 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2017, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, Ado wrote:

But keep in mind Ado that when performing a Matrix routine on a stage in a large theater it is probably quite helpful to use some extra gimmickry to create a sense of wonder. Whereas, using only SOH but performing right under their noses can be extremely impactful as well. Don't underestimate how powerful an effect can be when presented live right in front of their faces. I would argue that I have witnessed many people absolutely freak out watching sponge balls appear in their hand even more so than anyone seeing Will's beautiful routine.

Will's was a good routine. But I agree with you. Anyone that hasn't seen Chad Long's version (loads of subtle **** going on) should check it out.

Those slagging this, in a way I see why, but what I don't see why is the positioning of the camera. Had it been head on, many wouldn't be discussing gimmicked tabletops (IMO)
SimonCard
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of SimonCard
Just talking about the player piano thing, sounds to me it fits more in a science tech expo instead of a talent show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » SansMinds Magic » » Will Tsai - AGT. Mind=Blown (119 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL