The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Marked Cards from Penguin Magic (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5826 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Smile These are not Mandolin backs. They are, in fact, Maiden backs!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8781 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Oops, my bad..."Maiden" is correct and what I meant to say. But as to mixing in a more standard Rider back - same difference aka, it works pretty much invisibly the same way. Smile

Thanks Cutts. Smile
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5168 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I would love to use a marked deck as my every day deck and do not think that $5 a deck is too steep for a working magician. I have always believed and stated that cards are a cost of your business and a deck or two should be built into your fee, especially for people who get jittery about having cards signed or destroying cards for certain effects. I really would love to see Phoenix brand marked decks come down to this price point (at least if bought by the brick). I love the style in which they are marked.

One question about the markings on this particular deck. How does it compare to the markings on the Garrett Thomas Speedreader decks? (as far as placement and marking type). I like the marking but not the placement on the Speedreaders.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2473 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Bear in mind that the card boxes do not come with stamp seals and the bottom of the box has a Penguin logo on it AND it says Penguin Magic....not normal USPCC bar code, etc. (like a real Bicycle deck).
But, the cards themselves are printed on excellent stock and the finish is great.
The cards are also softer than regular Bikes, so they break in fast and are easy to faro from the bottom up (ie. a table faro).

Personally, I would put the deck in a real Bicycle box and call it a day....even though they are Maiden back design vs. Rider back design.

I also like the extra 2 gaff cards vs. the first printing, which had 4 extra aces....I think the gaff cards will be more practical.

I got the second printing....
Long Island,

New York
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
948 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2017, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I would love to use a marked deck as my every day deck and do not think that $5 a deck is too steep for a working magician. I have always believed and stated that cards are a cost of your business and a deck or two should be built into your fee, especially for people who get jittery about having cards signed or destroying cards for certain effects. I really would love to see Phoenix brand marked decks come down to this price point (at least if bought by the brick). I love the style in which they are marked.

One question about the markings on this particular deck. How does it compare to the markings on the Garrett Thomas Speedreader decks? (as far as placement and marking type). I like the marking but not the placement on the Speedreaders.

The markings are similar, but are higher up than the speed reader deck
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5168 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2017, JustJoshinMagic wrote:
The markings are similar, but are higher up than the speed reader deck

Cool, because I like the graphics of Garrett's marks. I like the Phoenix markings better as the back design was actually made with the markings and then they just "reverse engineered" them out. But when they use them, they are a thing of beauty. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Jack Skipton
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Jack Skipton
I'd like to get these, unfortunately these days I'd need to whip out my glasses and stare intently to see a mark.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I received mine today with no extra charge beyong the £3.05 mentioned previously. Great speedy service by DHL and Penguin.

Decks are great. They faro like a dream, they look fantastic. Enough said.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5826 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2017, Mb217 wrote:
Oops, my bad..."Maiden" is correct and what I meant to say. But as to mixing in a more standard Rider back - same difference aka, it works pretty much invisibly the same way. Smile

Thanks Cutts. Smile

Very likely you could make a deck of bikes, maidens, and mandolins and use that for ten minutes at a magic club and no one would spot the differences.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1446 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Just got a deck of these.

The marks are great but the cards are definitely thinner then regular Bicycle stock.

I wanted to use these for PLUNGER but find the thinner stock not too reliable.
Recoplon
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Recoplon
I see the marked deck in the wholesale page of Penguin. Any European shop carrying these soon?
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2476 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I agree, not great for plunger
cardmechanic25
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of cardmechanic25
Anyone have the original run with the 4 aces and wanting to switch with the newer ones with the jokers, please let me know . The deck is a little light now especially when one wants to hold out.
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Prop dog in uk have them.Sadly no links to the video instructions. Have emailed prop dog and penguin. They are double the price at nearly a tenner but shipping from penguin to uk is far too expensive.
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Penguin very kindly added the two videos to my video download section.Very happy about that.Cheers penguin
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
O and prop dog uk,said there should have been a card with download link and password which they supplied. So you can get the videos if you get then from prop dog
Elman1
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Elman1
Finally got my hands on a packet of these today. I have to say I was a little disappointed, I spotted the markings straight away. These don't come close to the quality or the stealth of the dmc rouges IMO. Also didn't receive password or download link from Propdog.
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Email prop dog they will send link.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2017, Elman1 wrote:
Finally got my hands on a packet of these today. I have to say I was a little disappointed, I spotted the markings straight away. These don't come close to the quality or the stealth of the dmc rouges IMO. Also didn't receive password or download link from Propdog.

You do know that's kind of the point of this style of marked card? That you CAN see them straight away IF you know what you're looking for?

I love the DMC Elite Rouge deck - it'd be my go-to deck BUT I'm a cheapskate and ordering a brick of these from Penguin, even with overseas shipping, came in at about £6.60 a deck. I can get them signed, I can tear them up, I can fold them without having palpitations. The marking method is a variation on the Ted Lesley idea which was MUCH more obvious and yet mentalists have been using that for years.

Funnily enough a friend who works in a magic shop told me that nobody spots the Rouge markings until they are pointed out - and then suddenly they don't like them because they are too obvious. Typical magician thinking.
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
Great thread. I remember Rick Lax doing a deck review of these cards and the DMC Marked Deck (Elites) and a few others,anybody have a link? hunted high and low for the video but nothing has come up.

Greig.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Marked Cards from Penguin Magic (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL