The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Marked Cards from Penguin Magic (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2139 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2017, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2017, Jerry wrote:
My deck had rough edges also. Otherwise typical quality for this price deck.

I made my purchase with Vanishing Inc. I got the black box.

Aren't these exclusive to Penguin?

Yes. Jerry was undoubtedly referring to Marksman. There is no Black box that come with Penguin's marked cards, nor are they available for sale anywhere else.
Kevin Reylek
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2017, Race Blakhart wrote:

Is this common knowledge in our community?
Do you know any card companies who don't do this, or is it typical? I truly want to know. This is all news to me.

You may want to check out Card Shark at www.card-shark.de Somewhere on the site, not sure where, there is a video or series of videos that explain a lot about the process, etc... All the Phoenix decks that I have received are good quality, pretty consistent. According to them, US Playing Card has different qualities and he says that he pays more to get his decks produced to make sure they are the higher quality, blades sharpened more often so that they are only cut with sharp blades. Sorry I don't know where on the site the video(s) are, but if you Email them, I have no doubt that they will point you in the right direction.

Robert
Catch me on Twitter @RobertSixx or Facebook -- Robert Sixx
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3200 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Received deck and are smooth with good markings. Very satisfied
Nothing Personal-Strictly Business
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
552 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Awesome! Thank you. I will check it out. This really interests me.
CoffeeWithMagic
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of CoffeeWithMagic
I haven't used a marked deck in forever. I used to use one 10+ years ago, but can't even remember what it was. Might still have it around.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1150 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2017, Jerry wrote:
My deck had rough edges also. Otherwise typical quality for this price deck.

I made my purchase with Vanishing Inc. I got the black box.

Sorry, my mistake. I am jumping back and forth between the two topics on mark cards from Penguin and Vanishing.

I compare both, and the decks I have are a similar cut.

Penguin uses "Maiden" style backs, and Vanishing uses "Mandolin" style backs. This is important to some, not me, but worth mentioning for those it concerns.

I hope Vanishing goes to the same price point on the refills as Penguins.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Does anyone know if Penguin will be offering this product through overseas dealers, or will it only ever be through their website and US shipping?
Dave the Knave
View Profile
Regular user
Cochise County, Arizona
135 Posts

Profile of Dave the Knave
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2017, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Does anyone know if Penguin will be offering this product through overseas dealers, or will it only ever be through their website and US shipping?

I don't have the answer for you, but their online chat has been helpful. It could avoid a phone call.
Davdo
View Profile
Regular user
New York
156 Posts

Profile of Davdo
I use marked decks about 80% of the time, so I usually buy the latest and greatest just to have. There are one or two that for various reasons get used much less than others - these from Penguin will be used regularly. They feel nice (although are rough at the edges, as others have said). The markings are simple and easy to spot, but best of all is the Jon Armstrong download you get. The Rick Lax one is fine and the routines were eh... Jon's video is a nice treatise on when to read, what not do to, and the best way to take all the heat off of the cards themselves.

Nice price, too.

Dave
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
414 Posts

Profile of boinko
This is a great deck. I was expecting to wait until August to get it -- but the brick arrived a couple days ago.

Really, really nice!
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

So sad and jealous Smile
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2263 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
I have posted a picture of the deck on my instagram channel

https://www.instagram.com/magic_orthodoxy/

Wow - this deck - 6 total markings - seen from top, bottom, left and right!

Two videos! Jon Armstrong's instruction was wonderful - I watched it first. The videos are both downloads only offered to Penguin customers through their checkout software, so if this deck were purchased from a 3rd party, you'd have no access to the instructional video.

First Butterflies... then the Marksman and now this! This is the year of the marked deck
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

So even if it was sold via third party so as to make it fairly available to non-US folk, they'd still end up losing out on a whopping part of the value?

*sigh*. Sucks to be non-American if you like magic, lol Smile
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2263 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
If you're already versed in ideas you could use a marked deck for... you're not missing out. The Rick Lax video is super basic, several of the effects I'd seen from Big Blind Media or from other marked deck material I own

The Jon Armstong video is wonderful, but it's chiefly theory on how to use and not use in performance.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

That's fair enough Smile.
JustJoshinMagic
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, QC
948 Posts

Profile of JustJoshinMagic
Since I know a second run is being produced, here is what I would love to see if possible.

- A sturdier box. This felt very cheap compared to other boxes, which is a shame since its the old style box, which I love
- Identical Jokers instead of the extra aces. Including some dupes would be nice too!
- Traditionally cut. Mine were a bit rougher than normal, so I'd love to see these traditionally cut
- Elite stock. Now I haven't tried the elites, but everything I've heard makes them sound like workhorses. If that could be applied here, that would be brilliant.

I would 100% switch over to these full time if that was the case!
Check out my magic here:
http://JustJoshinMagic.com

and my official Instagram!
http://instagram.com/JustJoshinMagic
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1150 Posts

Profile of Jerry
With those changes, I doubt it would be the same price.

And it is probably too late to make a different run. I don't believe they can re-tool that fast.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2263 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Yea agreed - those bells and whistles raise the price. For a work-horse deck that is affordable and familiar - I think Penguin did a great job.

The aces I can take out and swap with aces in my standard decks - now all my aces are marked in my every day decks!

:D
Robert Houdin 78
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Robert Houdin 78
I've been using these cards for some time now and I think they are the very best ever released! Really easy to read even from a several feet!

R.
Dave the Knave
View Profile
Regular user
Cochise County, Arizona
135 Posts

Profile of Dave the Knave
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2017, Steve Suss wrote:
Just opened my first deck. I'm a cheap Cosco guy who tries to buy my decks as inexpensivly as possible. The trouble is the quality of the cards have gone down tremendously. These are perfect. Right out of the box they fan and faro perfectly. The borders are all equally spaced and the edges are cut smoothly and accurately. I haven't yet played around with marks which I don't believe anyone will notice but even without them the cards are well worth the price compared to the quality I've been getting. I highly recommend these cards to anyone looking for high quality cards with benefits LOL.

Any comments from others on how well the cards faro? Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Marked Cards from Penguin Magic (35 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL