The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Racoon like bullet man? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
afcaballero
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of afcaballero
Hey guys, who are you?
I´d like to see my Rocky racoon flying like the bullet man. I´m thinking to make a mechanism with some PVC tube and a spring or elastic tape. But before I start with this proyect, I wanted to ask you guys because I know I can find plenty of knowledge here.
Thank you so much in advance.
Alex.
PD. I don´t know if here is the right place to post this, so I´m so sorry if I maked a mistake.
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
302 Posts

Profile of GS121002
The first question to determine what kind of device you need, would be where do you want to move it from and where to? Do you want to have an off-stage assistant with a shoulder fired weapon shoot is across the stage or do you just want it to fly out of a box or bucket unassisted?

You will require an energy source to move it so the choices you have are:

1. Compression Spring (think of the inner workings of a BB gun)
2. Surgical Rubber Bands (think of a sling shot)
3. Gun Powder (think of a shotgun)
4. Compressed Air/CO2 (think of a tee-shirt cannon)

The quickest solution would be to buy a tee-shirt cannon (if it was to be fired by an assistant). If you were to build something, then a compression spring cannon would be the least expensive to build out of PVC. You could activate it with an electrical solenoid.

Here's an Idea! You could build a cage labeled DANGER - WILD ANIMAL and have a CO2 powered device or compression spring device fire him up in the air when you opened the top of the cage then you catch him and go into a Rocky routine. It would look like he was trying to escape the cage. Now that would be funny!
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

IT'S A FACT! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
CREDIS QUOD HABES ET HABES! - What you believe is real, is real!
WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN AND WHAT IS HE ALL ABOUT? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
afcaballero
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of afcaballero
Gary, thank you so much for your reply. You are the best; what a wonderful ideas!
I have been studiying electronics for about two years, and I can make any trigger device, I mean using selenoids, servos, motors, etc., I can even do it remotley. But my raal concern is, as you said, to find the better energy source. But the CO2 idea is simply wonderful, I will also experiment with sprigs, as you said.
And the cage labeled, is also great.
Again, thank you so much for your replay, your time but mainly, for your ideas.
Alex.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
723 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I just launch Rocky manually. I get great distance. The benefits of pitching him for so long.
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

IT'S A FACT! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN AND WHAT IS HE ALL ABOUT? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
afcaballero
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of afcaballero
Hey Gary, thank you so much again. I make my first prototype today, with a pvc tube and elastic bands, and work very well. I have to do some adjustments but almost get what I want. I will make an old bullet man cannon that launch my raccoon but works remotely. When it's finished I'll show some pic's, vid's to you. Again, thank you for everything. Best regards. Alex.
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of GS121002
I was digging through my Rocky stuff and found two additional Rocky props that you might find interesting:

1. A potato chip bag with a racoon tail protruding out the opening. Inside there is a battery powered ball that rolls around causing the bag (with the racoon tail) to flop around on the floor. It looks like he is eating the potato chips and will cause the audience to do crazy with laughter.

2. A similar small burlap bag with a racoon tail protruding. There is a battery operated module enclosed with-in but I don't remember exactly what it does. I think vibrated and made sounds. I put fresh batteries in it to verify but it didn't work. Sometimes electrical items just die from old age.

3. While I was waiting for my wife to finish her doctor's appointment yesterday, I put some ideas down on paper. You are welcome to them if you want.
(Note: I came up with these ideas before finding out about Randi Rain's (Rain Cloud Magic) Rocky Launcher. So I didn't steal her idea.)

And as always, I'm here to consult if you need to bounce any other ideas off me.

Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

afcaballero
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of afcaballero
Again Gary, you are the man. Thank you so much for your time and all of these wonderfull ideas you give to me. Best regards. Alex.
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of GS121002
I found a spring that might work here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/148-Wire-Compres......pP9Y7uBK
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Here is another spring that might work a little better but the firing tube would have to be larger than the spring's O.D. of 3.625". A 4" PVC firing tube would work for it. I am not sure how far a single spring would launch Rocky but they could be stacked to gain more power. I don't know what your venue is or how you need to launch it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222500613845?_tr......IDX%3AIT
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

afcaballero
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of afcaballero
Thank you again, Gary. I decided to use elastic medical bands, they work perfectly. Best regards.
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Quote:
On Jun 2, 2017, afcaballero wrote:
Thank you again, Gary. I decided to use elastic medical bands, they work perfectly. Best regards.

How are you triggering the release?
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of GS121002
Have you ever done something then wondered why you did it?

I put a $10 offer on those big springs just to see if they would take it and ***, they did, So I guess I am going to have to make a Rocky Launcher. I don't even do Rocky anymore but..... It will be interesting to see how far he launches with a secondary spring. I usually get 3 or 4 feet with his internal spring but sometimes requires a little boost.

Is anyone interested in one? I have the springs to build two units. Oh, what the heck! This will be fun.

Stay tuned.
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

afcaballero
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of afcaballero
Hello Gary. Answering your first question, I will use a servo motor that pulls a pin that release a cord attached to the medical elastic bands. I think your idea of using a spring is very interesting so, please let me know how your proyect is running. Best regards.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
I once saw a performer who did a similar shtick with a stuffed monkey. He had apparently replaced the core of the monkey's arms with surgical tubing. To fire, put your thumb in between the joined hands, then stretch and fire like a rubber band. The tubing retracts back into the skin of the arms, so it is not seen.
afcaballero
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of afcaballero
Hey Gary, how are you? I wanted to tell you, after a month and a half, finally finished my racoon launcher. I decided to use an extintor loaded with air, some pvc tubes and an electric valve. I also put some leds on all the cannon. Both the launcher and the leds are controlled by a remote control.

I thank you so much for your time and ideas.

Best Regards,

Alex.

Click here to view attached image.
afcaballero
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of afcaballero
afcaballero
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of afcaballero
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of GS121002
How far does it launch him?
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
I am the one who built the box with the picture of Chris.
The way it launched was...
There was a box inside that had a bottom that moved up and down. The bottom piece had flanges on two opposite sides that stuck out the slots in the sides of the box. On the out side of the box, was two long springs anchored on each side of the flanges, and lapped over the flanges. That way, when you pushed on the bottom, you are pushing on the tension of the springs. The top of the box had double doors, where one laps the other. A motor with an arm would turn to put the arm on top of the doors, holding them shut.
So you compress the rocking into the box, which also pushes down on the spring loaded bottom, and the doors are closed, the arm is moved into place, and you're ready to go.
With the two springs and the spring in the puppet. It really did shoot like it shows in the picture.
Hope that all makes sense.

Randi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Racoon like bullet man? (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL