The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Digital Improbity by Patrick Redford (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2374 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey guys,

So I bet you all are wondering what this is, or what it does, and Patrick peaked your interest in this over facebook upon release.

I was able to get a review copy of this, and I will be quite frank and say that every routine that Patrick shares with you in this release you will be able to adapt close-up or stage, depending on the routine, and depending on the type of routine that best suits you.

I am not allowed to say what the gimmick is, but I will say that you can make up the gimmick in about 10 minutes or less, should not take long at all, and most of you have the required already at home.

This is the type of thing, that ganders the response from mentalists and magicians, Why didn't I think of that?
Simple is better, and the gimmick is easy to make, and surefire.

Patrick credits the correct people for this principle using the gimmick, and then he goes on about sharing the myriad of routines that are possible with this gimmick.

Imagine being able to do Free Will but the participant will always read the outcome, with Digital Improbity this is possible, also possible to give the prediction away at the end as well. Patrick goes into detail of what you need to accomplish this.

Imagine being able to create a list of items, and having a spectator select one, yet you know which one was thought of. using the gimmick, but applied to a sort of Solstice Wallet type presentation without electronics.

Imagine re-visting the 30 card poker deal demonstration, and the performer influences the subject to lose three hands of poker, even when the subject chooses his/her own hands, card for card. With the Improbity gimmick, you can accomplish this, especially for those of you that want to do a standard poker deal demo, then go into this, you can. This is the most comprehensive explanation on the 30 card poker deal, and prediction, as well as minute detail on everything you need to know.

The next bit, is one of Patricks favorites, in which he uses it in his stage show, in which the spectators create an impossible object, and that object is predicted beforehand, everything is very fair and open, and the audience cannot grasp how in the world the performer knew. Killer! Many ideas are shared, and you could change it into your own language if you want as well.

All of these effects work in any language.

For Q&A enthusiasts and lovers, you can even do a Q&A with this gimmick. IF you already do Q&A's or are thinking of doing one, the Q&A Patrick offers here is easy to execute, since you are using the homemade gimmick, and allows you to concentrate on your answering of questions and presentation.

All in all, I believe this release has something for everyone.

If you ask me, even if you get one routine from this booklet, and use it at a paid gig, it has already been worth it, and has paid for itself. Or if Patrick inspires you to create your own effects using the gimmick, that's whats important here.

I personally will use the impossible object that is created on stage, and I know it will go down a storm.

Lately, Patrick is on a role, I just ordered his Temporarily Out of Order book, based on the youtube videos that Patrick shared with various routines, so want to get started on them right away, and this is not different. Something you will think about, perhaps make up the gimmick, and try out, I know I will.

Thanks Patrick

Alex Alejandro
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
m.o.pfeil
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of m.o.pfeil
That sounds very promising. Do you know whether it will be a booklet only or possibly a download as well? Me hates shipping...
I'd rather be read than (w)ri(gh)t(e)
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1662 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
m.o.pfeil
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of m.o.pfeil
Now that was a fast fix. Thank you sir.
m.o.pfeil
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of m.o.pfeil
After reading through the pdf (and yes, it says "booklet" on the website, but as MadisonH fantastically pointed out it is a download...) I really like what I got. The Gimmick is nicely low tech and well introduced and motivated. I am playing around with it and it looks very good.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Is anyone else able to pass comment or give an opinion on this?

Thanks

Neil
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1662 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I'll help you out Neil!

The PDF starts off explaining the gimmick. It's a gimmick I was familiar with, but I never explored using it for Mentalism. It's very simple to make with a pair of scissors, a sharpie, and some post it notes. It's VERY simple to make.

The first effect in the PDF is called Improbity. It's a traditional free will effect but with the cleanest prediction ever as the spectator always reads it and it is never ambiguous. It clearly states who will have what items. It is a GREAT version of free will. It will make you never want to perform another version.

In the next effect, the spectator writes down several items on a post it note. The perform puts a check mark beside one of the items without telling anyone which one. The spectator thinks of one of the items and names it. Low and behold, it is the very one with the check mark.

The next is Patrick's 30 Card Poker Deal revisited. This is why I wanted this PDF. I saw a performance of this and was fooled by how clean the last prediction was. If you're not familiar with Patrick's ten card poker deal, this is worth the price of admission. I was familiar with the routine but had never seen this subtlety with the Improbity gimmick. It makes the ending more powerful.

The next effect uses the Improbity gimmick for a stage show. Essentially, various audience members choose various aspects of an imaginary object. Turns out, the crazy object is real and is shown to have every aspect of the object has been predicted. Patrick says he has been using this to close his stage shows. It is a well put together routine with uses two different methods which cancel each other out. Patrick even discusses how to have an additional kicker.

Finally Patrick explains how he uses this gimmick for a full Q&A act. Honestly, this is a great idea for a Q&A. Especially if used in a subtle way throughout the show.

All in all, this is a fantastic. Well worth the asking price. There's a lot of practical, real world effects that can be done with this gimmick. The good news is, the gimmick literally only takes about 2 minutes to make up. In my opinion, once this method is known, no one should revert back to the old style of free will predictions. I have been called out using the old style free will prediction before by some intelligent audience members who pointed out the ambiguity. They may not have known EXACTLY how it worked, but they noticed the prediction wasn't as clear as it originally seemed. This eliminates that problem completely. Also, almost every effect can end clean which would allow you to leave the spectator with the prediction as a keep sake of the occasion.

I highly recommend this!

Madison
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Digital Improbity by Patrick Redford (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL