The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » What books should I look for to learn hypnosis (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19864 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes YOU were arguing with me. MY point was that it didn't matter if it was real or not. Much the same way belief is not a necessary component for a volunteer, it is also not a necessary component for a practitioner either. You want to convert EVERYONE to believe what you believe. But the fact is there is no real proof either way! Things do happen and whatever you want to call them is NOT RELEVANT. However one accomplishes a show is how they accomplish a show. This is all that really matters. I don't care if everyone decides to call it smidgen.

You have never figured out that not everyone has to agree. It simply doesn't matter. If a great hypnotist thinks one thing and another great hypnotist thinks another life will certainly continue. There IS NO right answer! That is the problem 99% of people in every forum on magic performance have. So one guy says it is "trance", another says he is manipulating people, another says it is suggestion. It is all the same thing. It is the equivalent of that scene in Conan the Barbarian where they are arguing about whose "god" is more powerful. The entire argument is stupid, which was ALWAYS my point. You INSIST on proselytizing about it being fake. It is why they throw you out of here so regularly. You just can't believe anyone would disagree with you. Heck you start arguments when people AGREE with you.

My lord Mark just let it be. It makes you look desperate to be relevant. You don't have to do that.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
monkeycat
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of monkeycat
Oh, we have something in common. We BOTH think we are the smartest persons in the room!
monkeycat
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of monkeycat
Actually I think it DOES matter whether you recognise that hypnosis is a load of old baloney or not. I think a performer should know WHY he is getting results or not getting them. Understanding what the hell is REALLY going on helps you immeasurably and will affect how you do your show. It is no accident that the best stage hypnotists I have seen know perfectly well what is going on and have shared their disbelief with me.

Here is one example of what I am talking about. If you believe in the reality of hypnosis you are far more liable to believe in daft things like "abreactions". If you realise that nobody is hypnotised in the first place you don't panic when the silly twerps go all weird on you. You know they are not having an "abreaction" and you act accordingly without getting all panicky. It is no coincidence that stage hypnotists who are daft enough to think what they are doing is the real thing are the ones who seem to get "abreactions" and people like me who know the thing is a load of all cobblers never get them. I have done hundreds of stage hypnosis shows and have NEVER, not even once, had a so called "abreaction". That is because I know what is really going on. If I were daft enough to believe in the reality of "hypnosis" I would think the "abreaction" was a genuine thing instead of some daft member of the audience being dafter than usual.

When I first started to learn stage hypnosis I was stupid enough to think the whole thing was real until one of the greatest stage hypnotists of the 20th century informed me that it was a load of twaddle. When I thought it was the real thing I could never get the hang of it and had no success at all. Once I found it that it was a load of bunkum I got great results INSTANTLY.

So yes. I DO believe it makes a massive difference to the show to know what the hell is really happening to all the daft people on stage running around like lunatics, some of whom are deluding themselves that they are "hypnotised", some of whom are showing off, some of whom have had too much to drink, and some of whom are too embarrassed to go against the grain and decide to act as daft as everyone else on stage.

Not that I have a cynical nature of course...……….

One last thing. I still remember the late Martin Breese, well known magic book publisher and pioneer of magicassette audio tapes of years gone by saying to me, "Gil Boyne sat in that chair you are sitting in now and he told me that hypnosis was complete bunk!" And Gil Boyne was a leading light in hypnosis circles and wrote learned articles and books about the subject.

Anyway the whole subject is explained in this book (which to my great amusement I have seen Danny recommend in the past--of course he never mentioned where he first heard of it---ME!)

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-87975-576-8
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19864 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I get it Mark. You never ever stray from that position. Fantastic. We ALL get it. We can all recite it. NOBODY CARES.

And I never recommended that book because I have never read that book.

Also your third hand account of Boyne less than impresses me. It is not as if you are above the occasional lie to make a point is it?

Again Mark, you are not converting ANYONE. Nobody cares that you don't believe and what reasons you have for it. Can it just be a different topic for the next 3 days till you are banned again?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
monkeycat
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of monkeycat
Oh, I won't be banned! The management have known about my presence for the last few days and for some reason I haven't quite figured out have decided to leave me alone to educate and inform the multitude.

You most certainly DID recommend that book and I remember laughing when I saw it. I shall try to search it out and refresh your memory. Furthermore, I can assure you that Martin Breese did indeed tell me that Gil Boyne said those very words to him. As a psychic reverend and holy man of the cloth I do not indulge in terminological inexactitudes I can assure you.

Incidentally, people have accused me of telling stories when I informed them that Harry Lorayne had written the foreword to my latest book. I bet you didn't know that, did you? And that story is just as real as the Gil Boyne one!
monkeycat
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of monkeycat
Here you are Danny! A little reminder of your recommendation of "They Call it Hypnosis" a book you had never heard of until I mentioned it!
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..………………………………………………………………………….

"I can show you credible science studies which completly contradict your definition of trance anyhow. You spout them as if they are gospel. Want to have your day ruined, read "They call it hypnosis" and get back to me. Yes many credible people believe that hypnosis does not exist so lets stop playing definition games shall we?"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19864 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I did not say I read the book or recommend it for anything except to ruin the guys day. I simply pointed out that there is credible literature that says hypnosis does not exist. By the way that is FAR from the ONLY book which makes this claim.

It is hardly a recommendation of the book. But believe what you want. You are after all the king of out of context LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
monkeycat
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of monkeycat
Actually I did once read a book stating that hypnosis did not exist by a noted hypnotherapist named Peter Blythe. I will concede he only mentioned it in a few sentences. I do remember meeting his father who was a real character and a stage hypnotist of some renown. I think his name was Henry Blythe and I remember well known magician Bobby Bernard saying that Henry was "a real con man". I found him an amusing old duffer.

We are never going to agree on this so we had better move on. However, just for the fun of it I shall relate the tale of how I finally came to the conclusion that stage hypnosis was a load of old cobblers. And then I promise to drop the matter.

The first stage hypnotist I ever saw was a really dynamic one by the name of Lorde Payne. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was awestruck and believed every bit of it. People told me it was a load of old hooey but I vociferously argued with them that it was genuine. Later I saw in Ireland another brilliant hypnotist who I believe is still active but must be getting on in years now. His name is Barry Sinclair. I believed he was the real thing too until a friend of mine who was watching the show muttered to me "he is cueing them under his breath" I replied "nonsense---I can't see his lips moving" The response was "Look at his adams apple!" I did and although his lips weren't moving (he would have made an excellent ventriloquist) his adams apple certainly was! I found out later that Barry didn't really believe in hypnosis either!

The final straw was when I met the legendary Paul Goldin who actually went to medical school with my uncle but finally gave up medicine to become a rather controversial stage hypnotist. My uncle used to tell me tales about Paul when I was a teenager but never actually met him until many years later when I moved to Ireland.

The rest of the story I shall cut and paste from my silly little e-book on stage hypnosis which sells for the magnificent sum of $2.99. It is a good book but an unfinished one. That rogue Jonathon Royle persuaded me to put it up on Kindle without finishing the bloody book. It describes everything you need to know up to the point of the skits starting then abandons the entire thing with the dubious advice that you can learn lots of skits anywhere so it doesn't need much more than that and puts a link therein to my more detailed video download course on library.com

I think that was a daft move of mine but alas I was getting fed up writing the bloody book and gave in to temptation. Anyway this post is becoming rather long and I know that Danny gets impatient reading long posts so I will continue the saga later in another post. For the moment here is the book in question:

https://www.amazon.ca/Introduction-Stage......05XQ3LX4
monkeycat
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of monkeycat
Incidentally I am greatly amused at this sentence in your comment:

"Yes many credible people believe that hypnosis does not exist so lets stop playing definition games shall we?"

First time you have ever referred to me as "credible"!!!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19864 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2020, monkeycat wrote:
Incidentally I am greatly amused at this sentence in your comment:

"Yes many credible people believe that hypnosis does not exist so lets stop playing definition games shall we?"

First time you have ever referred to me as "credible"!!!

My lord you are delusional. I said the guy who wrote the book was credible, not the guy who reads it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19864 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2020, monkeycat wrote:
Oh, I won't be banned! The management have known about my presence for the last few days and for some reason I haven't quite figured out have decided to leave me alone to educate and inform the multitude.

Yet another Mark Lewis prediction down in flames LOL. Well he never was a good mentalist anyhow. I wonder if he will come back and tell us if he ever tires of being wrong?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
nyborn
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of nyborn
As a former hypnotist working with weight loss and smoking cessation, "Monsters and Magical Sticks - There's No Such Thing As Hypnosis." Which as I remember, alludes that EVERYTHING is Hypnosis; feel worthless... you've been hypnotized to believe that.

Somebody, maybe Richard Bandler, said we are trance making machines.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » What books should I look for to learn hypnosis (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL