The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bravo Colin! (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1354 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, magic maniac wrote:
Really like the fact that he came out with a psychological premise (Sherlock) but interspersed his performance with reveals that couldn't be accomplished through deduction. This goes out to all the naysayers that believe the psychological approach limits your options for material.

Or it means that he demonstrates a grab-bag of wildly inconsistent powers.

I'm not a fan of the white cat named Oscar kicker ending, which plainly shows that certain elements were predetermined. It prompts backtracking which is way too easy in such a short act. Yes, Derren Brown has used this sort of kicker at the end of his full-evening shows, but due to the far greater length of his show, important details have the time to become fuzzy and misremembered. That's not the case with a 5-minute AGT act.
Panov
View Profile
New user
Moscow, Russia.
7 Posts

Profile of Panov
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, magic maniac wrote:
Really like the fact that he came out with a psychological premise (Sherlock) but interspersed his performance with reveals that couldn't be accomplished through deduction. This goes out to all the naysayers that believe the psychological approach limits your options for material.

Or it means that he demonstrates a grab-bag of wildly inconsistent powers.

I'm not a fan of the white cat named Oscar kicker ending, which plainly shows that certain elements were predetermined. It prompts backtracking which is way too easy in such a short act. Yes, Derren Brown has used this sort of kicker at the end of his full-evening shows, but due to the far greater length of his show, important details have the time to become fuzzy and misremembered. That's not the case with a 5-minute AGT act.

Tim, in general, I agree with you, but not in this particular case. Colin has demonstrated four effects. He guessed occupations of two people, guessed in wich hands the coin was (with four jury members), revealed what one woman was thinking about and then there was a prediction. He only prediced the ending of one effect and this may be considered as his understandig of how people think.
Sergey Panov
Max Wells
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Max Wells
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, Panov wrote:
Tim, in general, I agree with you, but not in this particular case. Colin has demonstrated four effects. He guessed occupations of two people, guessed in wich hands the coin was (with four jury members), revealed what one woman was thinking about and then there was a prediction. He only predicted the ending of one effect and this may be considered as his understanding of how people think.

You just need to take a quick look at the comment section and you'll find Tim is right.
Panov
View Profile
New user
Moscow, Russia.
7 Posts

Profile of Panov
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2017, Max Wells wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2017, Panov wrote:
Tim, in general, I agree with you, but not in this particular case. Colin has demonstrated four effects. He guessed occupations of two people, guessed in wich hands the coin was (with four jury members), revealed what one woman was thinking about and then there was a prediction. He only predicted the ending of one effect and this may be considered as his understanding of how people think.

You just need to take a quick look at the comment section and you'll find Tim is right.

There are very few comments to draw certain conclusions, and most of them concern the method by which he did it. But I understand Tim's point of view and as I said partly agree with him.
Sergey Panov
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3755 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I think in the context of this being an audition the kitty was perfect. At this point the job is not to confound the YouTube kiddies who have speculated both wildly and correctly on pretty much every single audition or televised piece of magic. Colin's objective was to impress those 4 judges long enough for them to say "It's a yes from me". The other objective to fit in with the needs of the production company is to make 2-3 minutes of good tv.

Colin achieved those aims. He has performed that routine or variants of it several times on UK tv without the kicker kitty ending but in that context in that moment the kitty did the job as evidenced by both the audience and judges reactions. Also the number of my layman friends who have shared this on FB indicates that the general viewing public loved it.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
NRmind
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of NRmind
I'm glad the comment section was brought up. I'm a huge Colin fan but the sheer number of people correctly guessing the method(s) is quite sobering. This is on FB, YouTube, and regarding both the which hand and the kicker elements. And these are clearly not magicians or mentalists.
The time compression is certainly a factor. It's like the opposite of time misdirection.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
The cold, hard fact when it comes to performing any kind of magic or mentalism on TV is the certainty that your methods will be exposed, either in the comments section of social media, or on one of the internet sites specifically dedicated to exposing secrets. There is no longer any way to avoid it -- it's now part of life. I think mentalists are even more of a target for those wanting to expose because whether you are claiming to read minds, or body language - those doing the exposing seem to take even more delight in proving that you are really only doing "tricks".
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
That said - I loved Colin's performance!! Not a single wasted moment!
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2017, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I think in the context of this being an audition the kitty was perfect. At this point the job is not to confound the YouTube kiddies who have speculated both wildly and correctly on pretty much every single audition or televised piece of magic. Colin's objective was to impress those 4 judges long enough for them to say "It's a yes from me". The other objective to fit in with the needs of the production company is to make 2-3 minutes of good tv.

Colin achieved those aims. He has performed that routine or variants of it several times on UK tv without the kicker kitty ending but in that context in that moment the kitty did the job as evidenced by both the audience and judges reactions. Also the number of my layman friends who have shared this on FB indicates that the general viewing public loved it.

Mark

Mark, are you saying Colin's only objective was to entertain the crowd and judges with his performance and not adhere to some ideal of what mentalist should be ? That's crazy talk !!! You need to be careful or the mentalism police will have you locked away for good.
Michael Clifton
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of Michael Clifton
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2017, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
The cold, hard fact when it comes to performing any kind of magic or mentalism on TV is the certainty that your methods will be exposed, either in the comments section of social media, or on one of the internet sites specifically dedicated to exposing secrets. There is no longer any way to avoid it -- it's now part of life. I think mentalists are even more of a target for those wanting to expose because whether you are claiming to read minds, or body language - those doing the exposing seem to take even more delight in proving that you are really only doing "tricks".

This is so true!! It feels like a nail in the coffin when you see methods exposed, for no other gain than views. The sad thing is
most are merely curious an not students of our craft or care for it. The only way things can be protected is with the assistance
of the production team and good editing. Enter Peter Turner....he would fry them into believers....
Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
Panov
View Profile
New user
Moscow, Russia.
7 Posts

Profile of Panov
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2017, Michael Clifton wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2017, Mr. Mindbender wrote:

This is so true!! It feels like a nail in the coffin when you see methods exposed, for no other gain than views. The sad thing is
most are merely curious an not students of our craft or care for it. The only way things can be protected is with the assistance
of the production team and good editing. Enter Peter Turner....he would fry them into believers....

Unfortunately about the video editing and the use of stooges they speak on the Internet even more than about the methods that we use. Pre-show work, dual reality all can be exposed on Internet. But there is good news. I noticed that we often exaggerate the power of the Internet. People are looking for information in which they are already interested, so most of the people we perform for, have no idea how it's done. In addition, many people are fairly stable in their belief systems, so even a lot of exposures do not change their beliefs.
Sergey Panov
kevin carmean
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of kevin carmean
Colin is brilliant! Not often do we see fast paced mentalism that actually works and is entertaining. Colin nailed it!
Roy
View Profile
Elite user
Israel
482 Posts

Profile of Roy
Wow. Hats off to you, Colin
mentalism addict
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of mentalism addict
I cant wait to see him next time
mentalism addict
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of mentalism addict
Wow I just saw this am a huge fan of Colin and cant wait to see him next time
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1119 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
High quality act, thoroughly enjoyed it!
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of dusty
Congrats on getting a weblink included.
Well done.
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
MentalMik
View Profile
Regular user
Ridgecrest, California
131 Posts

Profile of MentalMik
Extremely entertaining, awesome job.
From the mind of Mik.
Ridgecrest, California, by way of the UK.
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1050 Posts

Profile of NFW
Very entertaining, although I do agree with Tim re the ending...
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
To illustrate Colin's incredible grasp of showmanship, in the Illusionists show his finale caused 2000 people in the audience to issue a collective gasp. If you have ever done or experienced that, know hard it is to accomplish.
John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bravo Colin! (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL