The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » A New Low For Sankey ??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
He could release an effcet a week and if it was strong, no one wopuld care. But he releases alot of poor magic. Things that are only hald ideas. This Magus Capsule or whatever it was called was horrible!!!!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2004-04-18 18:47, daffydoug wrote:
As I said, I wrote him a personal email, and asked a few questions, but he wrote back to me that he doesn't mind answering a simple question now and then, but he is very busy with his new son Nathan, and doesn't have a whole lot of time any more.

That's fine with me . I don't judge Jay Sankey at all . I fully support his choosing to spend more time with his family than with a bunch of magic fan boys on the internet .

If anyone is to be "blamed" regarding the Just Ask Jay forum situation it is Penguin. They put up the forum and they have apparently left it up for over six months with the header reading "Every week, Jay will make a special guest appearance to answer 5-10 of the best questions."
(in fact , he's made a grand total of 33 posts, averaging 1.2 questions answered per week since he's been signed on to the forum )

Penguin should take that down until such time , if ever,
that he returns on a regular basis .

Keep on spending more time with your family , Mr. Sankey . They are way more important .

niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Many others like the Magus Capsule. So it couldn't be horrible.

Ergo, it doesn't suit you and that is it.
Yours,

Ivan
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yup! I'm getting great reactions with this piece of "junk". Hmmmm. Must be a fluke.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Some people cannot understand that if they do not like something, it doesn't necessarily mean it is junk or crap.

To me NFW is JUNK. But I know many others love it. So why do I have to call it junk??
Yours,

Ivan
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Look at it as something that someone (maybe not you) might be able to use, or as something that might give you some ideas for an expanded effect or routine based on the Sankey trick. There have been a lot of "filler" tricks that have been published to flesh out magic books that have later turned into miracles when found and performed by the right people.

I do agree with the previous comment about the penny printed on the matchbook. It seems like it would be more effective with a copper penny actually "fused" into the matchbook, or a slightly different premise where a penny fuses into a quarter, half, etc. If this last effect were done and the coins were off-center and slightly cockeyed to one another, this could be pretty cool.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
T
View Profile
New user
philly
8 Posts

Profile of T
IS it just me , or does Sankey's perfromance style seem really annoying and grating sometimes? I don't think hes that good and have a hard time watching him get through a trick.
T.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
It's you T. Sankey, though releasing some bad tricks, is still a great performer.
cardman1990
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of cardman1990
Look, Jays OK but I think that what he did was unfair. When he decided to only sell his effects at a low price exclusively to Penguin, what happens to the dealers that purchased his effects for a higher price, now they are kind of screwed because everyone can get Sankey's stuff on Penguin for a low price.
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Well, many moons ago I expressed my disappointment in Sankey's stuff, not Sankey. One like to at last think that a trick has been tried, used over and over again, polished, and then released. It used to be that way. Vernon's stuff was guaranteed, so were mos tof the big names of the past. In late night Convention corridors one would throw out ideas, get reactions etc,BUT,money was hard come by and few reputable dealers could afford to gamble reputatiions on just untried ideas. A LOT of Sankey's stuff is, "hey, here's an idea", "here's a cute thought" etc. Often, neither nice nor cute. MK
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I don't think that simple tricks can be called just ideas. Jay Sankey's magic is direct, visual and simple, both for magician and audience.

I am not saying that he hasn't got half baked ideas, because he himself states so in his DVDs or videos. But these are the minority. You cannot call effects like, Stirring Silver, Airtight, In A Flash, Carbon Copy, Signed Singed and Delivered, Measles Deck, Transfusion, Astral Projection, 3 Ring Circus and many others, just ideas.

On the other hand, ideas push us to create rather than have everything laid for us. I own Quarks and Quirks by Ben Harris and that is why I like it a lot. It gives a couple of concepts together with a few effects using them, and then leaves you to think of other ways to use them for your own effects.
Yours,

Ivan
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2004-04-20 19:08, T wrote:

IS it just me , or does Sankey's perfromance style seem really annoying and grating sometimes? I don't think hes that good and have a hard time watching him get through a trick.
T.

No its not just you, I love how Jay teaches an effect, I think he is funny and I enjoy his insight when it comes to magic.

However when it comes to performance he is not my cup of tea either.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
You may or may not like Sankey's performance style, but he has some serious chops.

Sometimes he uses subtlety instead of sleights, which in some ways is better.

I personally think he is a scream, I sometimes start laughing just thinking about his video "Jay Sankey Live"

He also has a few books out on standup comedy which are really brilliant. Many insights into his world.
Just my two Sankeys,
James Linn
ps
Jay Sankey Live,Jay Sankey Live,Jay Sankey Live,Jay Sankey Live,Jay Sankey Live,Jay Sankey Live,Jay Sankey Live...Jay Sankey Liiiiiiiiivvvee!

Quote:
On 2004-04-20 19:08, T wrote:

T.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Sankey tries to spice things up by using the voices and impersonations.

He could just talk in a monotone, and never change his inflection, but then guys would complain about THAT, and say they don't like to watch him because he's boring.

Just can't win for losing, can he?

Maybe I better watch myself, because I love to do voices in my routines. You know, Bugs, Daffy, Bullwinkle, Jimmy Stewart, etc.

I suppose I am in for a bashing someday.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Daff, check out http://www.dwayneandrew.com/night.html and you may want to rethink the impersonations (unless you can do them well)

You should check out the thread on him....it's a blast Smile
T
View Profile
New user
philly
8 Posts

Profile of T
I compare Sankey to William Chung, very bad. This weird, no personality person is not doing anything good for magic. His presentations are all so much like a kindergarten beginner.

These new tricks have done wonders to make Sankey rich.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Then I wonder how many like his presentation and many more his effects. I wonder. Smile
Yours,

Ivan
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quite frankly, I have no problem with Jay putting out as much stuff as he wants or thinks the market will bear. Sure some stuff might be considered weak by some but, I'm always reminded that one man's trash is another man's treasure. And besides, this is classic capitlaism at work. If you don't want it or think it is worth the money (or may not be worth the money), don't buy it. nd that attitude and freedom becomes a double-edged sword for Jay (and Penguin).

That said, I do have a problem with his recent regurgitation of so much material being released by him these days. And, because Jay releases so much stuff, I have a nagging doubt raised in my mind that he may be releasing similar effects with minor variations in presentation or handling, that he must be releasing some weak and weaker effects and/or that he must be releasing duplicate material (i.e., such as Paper-Clipped). Other than Paper-Clipped, I don't have any definitive proof that such concerns actually, in fact, exist. owever, I also don't have the time or money to do an empirical analysis of everything he has put out before I buy something.

For instance, just look at the many Sankey videos out there. I mean we have "The Very Best of Jay Sankey", "45", "22 Blows to the Head", etc., etc., etc. What's the best one? Any duplicate materials? Any with improved handlings? Which came out first? Which came out last? So, not knowing which to buy, many people procrastinate or are frozen in indecision and inaction.

For the record, I do own "The Very Best of Sankey", "Paper-clipped", and "3-Ring Circus". Very good material on all three and I especially love "Paper-Clipped" and the 3-Ring Circus" DVD. On the 3-Ring Circus DVD are some additional routines (including an impromptu OOTW routine) that are really very good.

In sum, I look at buying Sankey material as analogous to cleaning out the basement or the garage? Where do you begin? What do you do (buy) first? Next? After that? I'm just so overwhelmed by the choices, I just shrug my shoulders and put it off for another day.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm that way about alot of magic these days. The choices are overwhelming at times.

But with sankey, I pretty much try to get it all, just because I like his style and weirdness.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Same here.
Yours,

Ivan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » A New Low For Sankey ??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL