The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » A New Low For Sankey ??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
So then, Niva, why do you suppose so many bash Jay for his "wierdness"? What they see as weirdness, I see as Jay just not being afraid to be himself, and trying to add a little spice and personality to effects so they will not be so flat. It seems that you just can't please people, no matter how hard you try.

If one want to see Jay at his all time wierdest, just watch the L&L shoots he put out a few years ago. There is Jay, in front of an audience, being as wierd as he can be, and the people just eating it up! Thay loved him! So what's the beef with other magicians? Are we not told all our lives "Just be yourself! Don't try to be someone you are not!"

So here comes Jay, and he follows that timeless sage advice, and what do his brother magicians do? They bash him for it! They tear him apart like sharks at a feeding frenzy!!

Can you say "jealous" boys and girls? I knew you could!!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Maybe becuase magicians se him a lot and then they kind of get bored. But I must say I like his style. It's refreshing and different.
Yours,

Ivan
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2957 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I for one like Jay Sankey's style, but to say that people who don't are jealous is pretty stupid. I don't like rocky road ice cream, does that mean I'm jealous of it? The people who don't like his style don't like his style, I for one do. I don't like the fact that he is putting out every idea he thinks of that he doesn't think all the way through.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I don't mind him being different, but when he talks in a pretend dialect, it takes away from the magic and is annoying.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
lewis
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of lewis
I like the old man voice - very funny

Also 'wooowee' and wiggling his glasses
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of jimesw
I haven't received an email from Penguin about a new Sankey product for over a week now. What's up with that.

Personally I like Sankey. A lot of his tricks are really weak though. With so many released, there are bound to be. I personally only use 2 of his tricks. Some of his ideas and patter are great though.

Cheers
James

:) Penguin must have read my post above. Received an email from them today about a new Sankey product.

James
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I personally don't care for Jay's performing style, I admire him as a talented magician, I just can't get into his style.

As far as releasing too much material, well, I think you reap what you sow. Take Gregory Wilson, for example. He has much less material out there, but it is almost all well-received and top notch stuff. Also, his limited release of material creates an exciting anticipation for his latest stuff. I think Jay's credibility will suffer in the long run.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
But you cannot please everyone too. The more you release the greater the chances you will find people who don't like somethig from them.

I have been reading all these posts and I have noticed that some people liked the 3 Ring Circus while others did not, some liked the Magus Capsule, others din't... and so on. I like almost all his stuff.
Yours,

Ivan
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
He's a creative guy and is funny. But, he gets carried away sometimes ( like I don't? lol )
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Smile
Yours,

Ivan
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I was going to say that Jay is back to the "old Jay".

Before I did, I checked Penguin Magic. Not only are there are 2 old tapes now on DVD (considered new), but5 of the 10 new releases on the site are Sankey stuff.

Don't get me wrong. I have most of Jays DVD's and I think he is an excellent performer.

I still have the same problem as I did when I began this thread. Jay is doing too much with too little.

I thought we had him back Smile
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
But I still cannot understand what the problem is.

Many people liked 22 Blows o the Head. Many others liked the Magus Capsule, and others the Three Ring Circus.

Is all this because he is releasing a lot of effects like no one else???
Yours,

Ivan
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Got me baffled too.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I suppose its a matter of quality vs. quantity. No matter how good someone is, they can't do both.

On that note, I saw the new 2 DVD Sankey collaboration set at Penguin. I think they look like a winner. I almost ordered them but decided to wait for reviews.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Bt how do you define quality? Is it not by how many people like them.
Yours,

Ivan
usa
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of usa
Quote:
On 2004-05-09 09:21, niva wrote:
Bt how do you define quality? Is it not by how many people like them.

I agree %100
Thank heaven for all quality stuff. Just to name a few:
Walmart, Britney Spears, McDonald's, Sankey,
Survivor, dr. Phil, Jerry Springer, Cigarettes.
Billions sold it must be good.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Jay Sankey is the McDonalds of magic? His most recent marketed magic has been very Big Mac & fries type eating.

Don't get me wrong, I like a Big Mac as much as the next guy but I prefer good slow-cooked bbq that takes patience to create and care in the pit before you have something that's just right.
usa
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of usa
"Jay Sankey is the McDonalds of magic? His most recent marketed magic has been very Big Mac & fries type eating."
And if you think you can't supersize both, think again. Just to refresh your memory:
You can order "big finish" or supersize to even "Bigger finish"
Plus I think they misspelled "magus capsule", it was suppose to be "MAGNUM capsule" but this still could be coming our way soon.
later...
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
The "MAGNUM caspule" is being put on hold. I hear he is working on a DVD with "GOTCHYA NOSE" trick, where you you put your thumb between your fingers and tell someone you got their nose. OOOPS, I think I just let out the secret....sorry Jay.
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
I'll always be indebted to Sankey for "Paperclipped" -- formerly titled "#!@*" -- or something like that. It opened my eyes to the wonder of absolute simplicity. It is my opener in a strolling performance. It sets the mood for whatever I do next. It takes people aback and makes them laugh. It stuns and disorients. It is amazing.
fib
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » A New Low For Sankey ??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL