The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mysteries of Uri Geller (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicman700
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of magicman700
Hi guys,

Just wondering, how many people in the world today can pull miracles like this besides Uri Geller? From training CIA Agents on remote viewing to moving a football from a flying helicopter around the famous Wembley stadium, this guy is phenomenal! He has done tons of other feats and made it big. Yet I don't understand why many magicians/mentalists are unhappy with him. I guess envy is a human instinct! Mentalism owes him a lot, as he did make it popular. Credit must be given to him for becoming a legend.

Found this clip, quite remarkable I must admit:

https://vimeo.com/221014781

What do you think guys??
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2006 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
One person's ethical line is different from another's. Randi seems to hate anyone who claims to be legit psychic, and a lot of people agree with his stance.

I love that Geller was able to take spoon bending and a couple of other minor feats and turn them into a major career. That's inspirational.

However, apparently there were times he took money for "helping" to find missing persons and plenty of people find that to be rather distasteful. That would be a reason people would be unhappy with him.

I remember seeing him on TV as a kid and being amazed that he could make a seed sprout in his hands. That one stuck with me a whole lot more than the bent spoon.

-Patrick
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2739 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Back in that time he was everywhere, TV, newspapers, magazines, you couldn't not know who he was. Like him or hate him he built an incredible career.
Luccky
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Luccky
Pablo Escobar and Ted Bundy did an incredible career too... Geller's career doesn't justify to swindle people.
magicman700
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of magicman700
Luccky,

If you think Pablo Escobar and Ted B. had a 'career', you seriously need to Google : Uri Geller.

Not sure where you are getting articles that he 'swindles' people, but good to check 'em out!
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
581 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2017, Mr. Woolery wrote:
...[Randi seems to hate anyone who claims to be legit psychic]...

-Patrick


Randi, and others ( I include myself) equate modern day psychics to the Victorian parasites who preyed on the bereaved and the vulnerable. The term "legit psychic" is an oxymoron and anybody who contributed to Geller's millions after seeing the cringeworthy and totally embarrassing exposure on the Johnny Carson show is minus the 'oxy'.

If Geller is legit he could have taken Randi's million dollars, they dislike each other intensely so why not?

I think we all know the answer.
Use the FORCE Luke.
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But it might be wise to actually read the published research to become better informed.
John
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2006 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I said anyone who claims to be a legit psychic. There is enough body of evidence for the existence of psi that dismissing it out of hand is just as much evidence of bias as accepting a person's claims without proper testing.

As far as it goes, I truly admire Geller's ability to stay in character for a lifetime. He took a few effects and turned them into a career for himself, studies by scientists, and a very high-profile career for a magician turned arch-skeptic. Not many others can claim as much.

He also changed the public perception of psychic abilities, which is amazing on its own.

Patrick
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
581 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2017, Mr. Woolery wrote:
I said anyone who claims to be a legit psychic. There is enough body of evidence for the existence of psi that dismissing it out of hand is just as much evidence of bias as accepting a person's claims without proper testing.

As far as it goes, I truly admire Geller's ability to stay in character for a lifetime. He took a few effects and turned them into a career for himself, studies by scientists, and a very high-profile career for a magician turned arch-skeptic. Not many others can claim as much.

He also changed the public perception of psychic abilities, which is amazing on its own.

Patrick


and yet (unless I am ill informed) Randi's $million remains unclaimed?????
Use the FORCE Luke.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Uri Geller doesn't need $1 million
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
581 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2017, Jerskin wrote:
Uri Geller doesn't need $1 million


..the comment is obvious and facile.
Use the FORCE Luke.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2739 Posts

Profile of Tom G
At the same point even at "odds" with one another Randi and Uri helped each others career.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2006 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
My understanding is that the million is no longer being offered. But so what? Being unable to convince a group of skeptics of something they have decided already does not exist is not very surprising.

-Patrick
magicman700
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of magicman700
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2017, art85y wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2017, Mr. Woolery wrote:
I said anyone who claims to be a legit psychic. There is enough body of evidence for the existence of psi that dismissing it out of hand is just as much evidence of bias as accepting a person's claims without proper testing.

As far as it goes, I truly admire Geller's ability to stay in character for a lifetime. He took a few effects and turned them into a career for himself, studies by scientists, and a very high-profile career for a magician turned arch-skeptic. Not many others can claim as much.

He also changed the public perception of psychic abilities, which is amazing on its own.

Patrick


and yet (unless I am ill informed) Randi's $million remains unclaimed?????



Come on guys, a million is pocket change to Geller..He doesn't need it. Between, you should do some research on Randi's bogus operation where he sets impossible conditions in order to get the dough. And, don't forget that Randi kept the $1mil untouched in a FIXED DEPOSIT account. Randi can live of the interest with that alone! So, who's real now?
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
581 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Magicman700[/quote]


...where he sets impossible conditions... [/quote]

The conditions are only impossible because you need true paranormal abilities to satisfy them. Isn't that the idea of laboratory conditions? To make it impossible for the fakers (And Gellers).
Use the FORCE Luke.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
581 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2017, Mr. Woolery wrote:
My understanding is that the million is no longer being offered. But so what? Being unable to convince a group of skeptics of something they have decided already does not exist is not very surprising.

-Patrick


All scientific enquiry should be from a skeptical standpoint, having pre-conceived notions or bias is bad science...

...being a skeptic does not render you incapable of, or unwilling to, accept convincing evidence.
Use the FORCE Luke.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
581 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
magicman700 wrote:


Come on guys, a million is pocket change to Geller..He doesn't need it. Between, you should do some research on Randi's bogus operation where he sets impossible conditions in order to get the dough. And, don't forget that Randi kept the $1mil untouched in a FIXED DEPOSIT account. Randi can live of the interest with that alone! So, who's real now?


'pocket change or not if he could pass the challenge he would milk the publicity and multiply the £million dollars again many times over'
Use the FORCE Luke.
MultiSlacker
View Profile
New user
GA
59 Posts

Profile of MultiSlacker
If ANY type of psychic "powers" etc. are real, and all one does is bend frigg'n spoons, they are defacto unethical and should be called out.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
581 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2017, MultiSlacker wrote:
If ANY type of psychic "powers" etc. are real, and all one does is bend frigg'n spoons, they are defacto unethical and should be called out.


I could not agree more.
Use the FORCE Luke.
Raum
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Raum
If Randy had a big red button with the inscription "Erase all psychics from this reality or history" he would never have pressed it. Because right after that he will become an ordinary magician. It think your "war" is meaningless.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mysteries of Uri Geller (19 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL