The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mysteries of Uri Geller (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
581 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
"WAR"? LOL
Use the FORCE Luke.
TomasKancyper
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of TomasKancyper
I've just googled Geller's net worth and it's 10 million. So I don't think 1 million is pocket change for him. Besides that I don't even know why we are discussing if he has psychic powers or not, when we all know that supernatural powers DON'T EXIST
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I don't think we all know that
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
seanmccarthy121
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of seanmccarthy121
In my opinion Uri Geller is a character, and a darn clever one. Of course he wouldn't accept Randi's challange, Geller knows he doesn't have real powers. Where Geller's genius lies is in his ability to create such a compelling character.
He has created some of the most watched mentalism performances of all time and brought the art into the public eye like never before, for that we should all be grateful to him. Whether you like him or not on a personal level is up to you, but I would be surprised if anyone here would you turn down the opportunity to meet Geller in person.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
581 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2017, TomasKancyper wrote:
I've just googled Geller's net worth and it's 10 million. So I don't think 1 million is pocket change for him. Besides that I don't even know why we are discussing if he has psychic powers or not, when we all know that supernatural powers DON'T EXIST

Quote:
On Jul 20, 2017, Last Laugh wrote:
I don't think we all know that

Perhaps we don't all "know it" but without evidence it's the intelligent side of the fence to sit on.
Use the FORCE Luke.
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
If you have no experience with something, it is certainly wise to be skeptical. If you have experience you should have informed opinions. If encounter contradictory opinions, remember that everyone has their own unique experiences and that yours don't trump others or vice versa. The best we have is consensus and even in science there are conflicts in consensus.
John
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
My point was just that though the mystery arts attract a fair share of very skeptical people, there are definitely others here who have varying degrees of interest in the possibility of some type of genuine psychic phenomenon.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
solarzar
View Profile
Regular user
Solarzar
109 Posts

Profile of solarzar
The problem with the skeptical community is the point mentioned earlier, they start with the bias it's all false because they can duplicate it with trickery.

I'm not claiming anything is real or not, but the proof of whether something is possible or not was never whether someone won Randi's million dollars. That outcome was the marketing pitch of Randi and his JREF.

A true skeptic would acknowledge the possibility and only test to discern trickery. Randi always claimed trickery and spent his time trying to show everyone was a fraud.

Regardless of anyone's personal belief Geller did open up attention and vistas for magicians and mentalists. And his true genius was always operating as 'less is more'.

Like him, don't like him, but he wasn't cheating anyone any more than Joseph Dunninger who claimed he could read thoughts. Dunninger's public and private persona had to live up to his claims.

Just my thoughts, Solarzar
Solarzar
The Magic is within us!
www.Magic4Life.com
www.Solarzar.net
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Well said, thanks Solarzar.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

On Penguin Magic
Raum
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Raum
Today a funny thought occurred to me:
If Randi tells you "You're a telepath only if you pass my test, according to my conditions and my rules," then this is normal.
If you tell Randi "I'm a telepath if I pass my test, according to my conditions and my rules," then you're a fraud.
willmagicman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of willmagicman
To me Uri Geller is an unforgettable character whose name is synonymous with the very word 'Psychic'. Whether fraudulently or not, he certainly entertained us, and a large percentage of our nation [UK] would tune in to watch his TV appearances with broken clocks, watches, even fridges at the ready! He was quite loved really. He has the perfect looks and persona for the lifelong role he has assumed, and could be considered as the 'Consummate Modern Day Psychic' Love him or hate him, he has achieved some modicum of greatness.
Will.
A Man's gotta know his limitations ... A Magician sets those limitations.
Maddies Ghost
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Maddies Ghost
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2017, Raum wrote:
Today a funny thought occurred to me:
If Randi tells you "You're a telepath only if you pass my test, according to my conditions and my rules," then this is normal.
If you tell Randi "I'm a telepath if I pass my test, according to my conditions and my rules," then you're a fraud.

Minor point not HIS conditions and rules.Mutually agreed.Nor is it(was) his million to the poster before who claimed it was.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1156 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I have seen his "ACT" in person, his is a fake.
PhilDean
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of PhilDean
Hmmm. Uri Gellar has always conflicted me. On one hand, I do dislike people claiming to be legit psychic, yet I am an entertainer by trade, and respect that there are many out there (not just in magic) who live their gimmick. Part of me says 'well you're a bit of a fool if you take his claims seriously in the first place' and that you have to have mad respect for a guy who created so much controversy by simply benging spoons and duplicating some drawings. But the other side of my brain respects that there are people out there who are naturally opposed to any kind of fraud. But then I wonder what those kind of people are doing dabbling in the world of magic and mentalism in the first place as literally everyone from these disciplines are technically fraudsters and swindlers of the highest order. No one is 'legit' no matter how much they believe it, otherwise as many have pointed out the Randi Challenge would have been won by now.

Personally I'm of the age where I'd actually like to see more fun gimmicks like Gellars being employed, as much as it would anger certain others. Haha!
jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
One reason the MDC may not have been won may be simple statistics. Assume perhaps 3 percent of a population has a specific ability, like being psychic or an excellent basketball player. This is in line with statistical data in social sciences experiments, so it provides a reasonable estimate. Given that, it may be that no one who has ever applied happened to have had psychic ability. Of course this doesn't mean no one does. And it suggests that the assumption that no one is psychic because no one has won the MDC may be false.
John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mysteries of Uri Geller (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL