We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Andreu's "Secret Passages Vol. 1" (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3840 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I got a review copy of Andreu's and Ever Elizalde's (you certainly know his excellent "Manoeda" or heard of it) new "Secret Passages Vol. 1". As you can guess by the title they plan a sort of series. Although I did not pay for my copy I will be as honest as necessary.

You receive a nicely laid out PDF of 67 pages; it is a fluent read, also easily understandable due to various photographs. Some less white and empty space would have made the PDF certainly a bit smaller, but as it is not printed who cares.

"The Devil's Eye" is a very clever and quite original peek using a gaffed envelop. It might still be not my cup of tea as I personal think that it focuses too much on proving that you cannot peek anything. But it is clever in its construction and you will read also some practical applications.

Next chapter is Robert Watkin's "The Difficult Ploy". Without giving away what it is, it is a strategy you can use to create the impression that a participant could have changed his mind until the very last moment while in fact he will not do so. Certainly, something an unexperienced performer might benefit from; while the experienced and thinking performer might discover that he is doing it already.

Elizalde's "Black Moon" is a take of Max Maven's "Kurotsuke"; it is well thought out and you really might like it if you have difficulties to pull out the "classic" method. As I won't I would rather stick with the original. But it is good.

Andreu's "Extraordinary Perception" is extracted from his book "Intimum Sacrarium". Although Andreu gives necessary credit to Brian Bushwood I must honestly confess that I personal do not like it. I did already dislike Brian's idea. For my taste, simply far too much procedure to divine a chosen ESP symbol. I believe mind reading should look different.

Elizalde's "Locked Premonition" is a heavily (by Cassidy's "Pocket Watch Premonition" and Looch's "Nod to Pocket Watch") inspired routine. It is quite nice, and all credits are given. Personal I find its construction partly wrong; pulling out a prediction all of a sudden from somewhere without bringing it or its container into play or view before you begin is simply wrong.

The booklet closes with two short essays which are so short that I feel they would have been better placed in a forward of two routines which illustrate then what you proclaim.

Nevertheless, if you are into mentalism and still a sort of "newbie" you might benefit from "Secret Passages". You can order it directly from the author ( https://sellfy.com/p/JC9r/ ). The price is $29,99 which I don't find too modest Smile . Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
I wish all reviews were as honest and clear as this one.
Lakewood, Ohio
Max Wells
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Max Wells
Sounds interesting. Thanks.
Max Wells
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of Max Wells
Seems like Uri Geller said some nice things about the release. If it's good enough for him...
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
612 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Thanks for the review Jan.

I would like to clarify some parts though.

Quote:
"The Devil's Eye" is a very clever and quite original peek using a gaffed envelop. It might still be not my cup of tea as I personal think that it focuses too much on proving that you cannot peek anything. But it is clever in its construction and you will read also some practical applications.

As mentioned in Secret Passages, I do not provide an specific presentation with this effect on purpose.

You may present it as you wish, but, for me, it's a big selling point that the envelope is completely opaque. Of course you don't need to repeat this 10 times to your spectators, just once - and of course there is no need to say it, just imply it.

About Locked Premonition by my friend Ever Elizalde, it won't be difficult to present an envelope from the start and finally show the prediction appearing inside of it. I explain how to do something similar to this in a footnote.

I want to thank Ever for being a co-author and sharing this amazing gem.

Although he's no longer active in these forums, he's a brilliant thinker and I'm glad to release Secret Passages with him. Smile

This manuscript is available through: http://sellfy.com/p/JC9r/

Thanks for all your support guys!

Andreu
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
612 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Secret Passages is now available through:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8620

Enjoy!
Svengali83
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Svengali83
I also received a copy of Secret Passages a few days ago from Andreu. I would not be able to top Jan's comment in terms of thorough review (as seen above).

Here are my thoughts, in a nutshell: some pretty good ideas and presentations are covered in this publication.

Routines like "Black Moon" and "Locked Premonition" offer nice variations on classic effects, while others cover new interesting concepts. And although some effects may not necessarily suit my personal style, they did spark some creative thinking.

So, overall, very good job Andreu! ; )

F.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Andreu's "Secret Passages Vol. 1" (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL