The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The slow, secret death of the electric guitar (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2017, slowkneenuh wrote:
Https://www.washingtonpost.com/classic-a......w&wpmm=1

As a corporation, at least in recent years, Gibson was / is a jerk. Google it if you care. Several times it was voted 'worst company to work for in the United States by its employees'. There is even an old thread devoted to it in this very forum.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Years ago when I was in Peter Frampton’s band, we visited the Gibson Guitar premises. I remember Peter was highly amused when our “tour guide” introduced himself as Richard Head.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
AceOfJokers
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AceOfJokers
Anyone remember jaw harps? Are they still even made?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, AceOfJokers wrote:

Yes, they are still made and used, and are only called "jaw harps" by the politically correct.

Meanwhile, you are spamming this forum without gaining any posts toward your coveted 50. You realize that, right? Your post count doesn't go up when posting here.

Wanna stay a while and join us for a discussion? You are welcome. Wanna boost your post count with talk of "jaw harps" in a thread about electric guitars? Smile Just go spam this forum instead: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......5&423380
AceOfJokers
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AceOfJokers
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, AceOfJokers wrote:

Yes, they are still made and used, and are only called "jaw harps" by the politically correct.

Meanwhile, you are spamming this forum without gaining any posts. You realize that, right? Your post count doesn't go up when posting here.

Wanna stay a while and join us for a discussion? You are welcome. Wanna boost your post count with talk of "jaw harps" in a thread about electric guitars? Smile

The discussion was about the 'slow secret death' of electric guitars. My question was merely about the possible 'slow secret death' of jaw harps, which seems reasonable to me. I don't see you jumping down the throats of people mentioning ukeleles, so why me? If this is your idea of 'conversation' you can keep it.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I'm not jumping down your throat. I'm criticizing you for spamming this forum.

You have posted in a dozen threads here in "Not Very Magical Still" in the last few hours, and I suspect you want to boost your post count. Yes, I am accusing you. Yes, I probably seem unfriendly for accusing you.

But I guess that you are trying to reach fifty posts so that you can get to the unbelievable secrets in the secret forums, and if I'm wrong I will apologize in a month or two after you have shown that you want to join our conversations rather than boost your post count.

My name is Jeff. I'm a lecturer at the University of Göttingen. I play the banjo and have a wife and four kids--one of my own, and three step-kids. I like to use pencils and clipboards and I keep a hammer on my desk. I'm not a magician, but most of my online friends are. We come here to chat and brag and play chess and complain about Gibson. Everybody is welcome, but we prefer friendliness to SPAMMING OUR FORUM.

Hope you understand.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I’m with Jeff on this. New Café Members often think they can quickly reach 50 posts by adding meaningless comments in the NVMS section. As soon as they realize it does not increase their point count, they usually disappear.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I read the article with great interest. Kind of like being in an episode of the Twilight Zone. It was just so unreal, but facts are facts.

It brings me back to Segovia and how he thought that an electric guitar was not a real guitar. (Snob). I hope he wasn't right and that the electric doesn't die out in favor of the classical guitar. Because I love them both. I play classical guitar on an electric with nylion strings and a classical fingerboard. To me, ALL guitars are worthy.

Anyway, no matter what happens, I have over one hundred albums that I can listen to by a certain Mr Atkins in multiple muscal styles from Bach to rock and every stop in between, that prove that in the right hands, that is, in the hands of a true master, the electric is a beautiful and venerable instrument worthy of being with us for a long, long time. I pray that will be so.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Oil paints seem to be in use today - as are pencils, charcoal, and watercolors. Fads come and go. Don't fret that the dance hall is dead just because fewer folks are learning the mashed potato.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I’m primarily a keyboard player but I’ve always doubled on guitar. Had my trusty Fender Telecaster since 1980 (actually it replaced an older one which was lost in a plane crash while on tour with Peter Frampton). Got rid of a lot of other gear when I downsized my studio a few years ago. But recently I’ve invested in some other handy guitars: A Squier Bullet Strat, an Ibanez Hollow Body, a Cordoba nylon string acoustic, a Yamaha acoustic-electric, and an Ibanez Short-Scale Bass.

Rock on!
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ssounds like an awesome collection!! Chet used to have a guitar room in his Nashville home, where he displayed his plethora of guitars of every persuasion.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hi Arthur, could/would you describe what's different about composing or playng music on those different instruments?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, stoneunhinged wrote:
I'm not jumping down your throat. I'm criticizing you for spamming this forum.

You have posted in a dozen threads here in "Not Very Magical Still" in the last few hours, and I suspect you want to boost your post count. Yes, I am accusing you. Yes, I probably seem unfriendly for accusing you.

But I guess that you are trying to reach fifty posts so that you can get to the unbelievable secrets in the secret forums, and if I'm wrong I will apologize in a month or two after you have shown that you want to join our conversations rather than boost your post count.

My name is Jeff. I'm a lecturer at the University of Göttingen. I play the banjo and have a wife and four kids--one of my own, and three step-kids. I like to use pencils and clipboards and I keep a hammer on my desk. I'm not a magician, but most of my online friends are. We come here to chat and brag and play chess and complain about Gibson. Everybody is welcome, but we prefer friendliness to SPAMMING OUR FORUM.

Hope you understand.

You seem a bit cranky today Jeff. Are you now an unofficial "Not very magical" moderator?

spam
verb
gerund or present participle: spamming
send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet.

I just checked his posts here. Most seemed on topic. (A slight veering off the main topic here but that's hardly unusual) Hardly what I would call "spamming".
He's new to the Café. Maybe he just discovered "Not very magical" and was going through all the posts and thought he would comment on them. Instead, he discovered a decidedly unfriendly member.

and btw, I thought Jew Harp was the un-pc name for the instrument. Why would Jaw harp be un-pc? And why exactly is jew harp un pc? Simply because of the word jew in it? How did it come by that name? Is it an instrument used predominantly by jewish people? Jaw harp certainly seems to make more sense since it is held in the jaw but I'll admit, the name I heard when I was a kid was jew harp but I never connected that with the Jewish people for some reason.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Hi Arthur, could/would you describe what's different about composing or playng music on those different instruments?

Jonathan, I wanted to cover all bases with my purchases. So each of the guitars I purchased its own unique sound.

Fender and Gibson are probably the oldest and most commonly used guitar manufacturers, but there are many more. But each company also makes and sells various different models of their own brand. And each of these individual models have their own distinct sound. For example, my Fender Telecaster provides a different sound than say, a Fender Stratocaster. I’ve used my Tele mostly for rock, pop, and funk applications. My new Squier Strat gives me a lot more options for other musical textures. Plus it has a “whammy bar”, which is very useful for vibrato, “dive-bombs”, and other special effects.

The Ibanez hollow-body is modeled on a Gibson style, and I bought it specifically for a mellow jazz style of playing. However, with suitable amplifications and effects, it will also allow me to mimic a Gibson Les Paul guitar sound.

Of the others I purchased, the Cordoba is an acoustic nylon string guitar, which means it’s suited to classical, Brazilian or Latin music (but it’s a sound which has also occasionally been used in pop recordings).

The Yamaha acoustic-electric is a steel string acoustic guitar which also has a pickup. This means I have the ability to record it via microphone, or plugged directly into my mixing board. I’ll use this for pop, rock and country styles.

And finally, the tone of the Ibanez bass guitar is flexible enough to sound like an electric bass or an acoustic upright bass.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Jew's harp was what we used to call it around here. Ever have one of those things hit you in the teeth? Wooo-eeee. That'll have you cursing in front of the rabbi and the priest in a heartbeat.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Jew's Harp Boogie:

Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
[quote]On Jul 3, 2017, arthur stead wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

Fender and Gibson are probably the oldest and most commonly used guitar manufacturers ...

Thought I'd qualify this before somebody flips their lid:

Fender and Gibson are probably the oldest and most commonly used ELECTRIC guitar manufacturers ...

Thank you and goodnight!
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Wikipedia has a surprisingly interesting article on the Jew's Harp.

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
History

This instrument is considered to be one of the oldest musical instruments in the world;[4] a musician apparently playing it can be seen in a Chinese drawing from the 4th century BC.[5] Despite its common English name, and the sometimes used "Jew's trump", it has no particular connection with Jews or Judaism. This instrument is native to Asia and used in all tribes of Turkic peoples in Asia, among whom it is variously referred to as a temir komuz (literally, iron komuz), agiz komuzu (literally, mouth komuz), gubuz or doromb.

Quote:
Although this instrument is used by lackeys and people of the lower class, this does not mean it is not worthy of consideration by better minds...The trump is grasped while its extremity is placed between the teeth in order to play it and make it sound...Now one may strike the tongue with the index finger in two ways, i.e., by lifting it or lowering it: but it is easier to strike it by raising it, which is why the extremity, C, is slightly curved, so that the finger is not injured...Many people play this instrument. When the tongue is made to vibrate, a buzzing is heard which imitates that of bees, wasps, and flies...[if one uses] several Jew's harps of various sizes, a curious harmony is produced."

— Marin Mersenne, Harmonie Universelle (1636)

The instrument is known in many different cultures by many different names. The common English name "Jew's harp" is sometimes considered controversial or potentially misleading, and is thus avoided by a few speakers or manufacturers. (For example, the above-pictured tie-in Jew's harp from the movie A Boy Named Charlie Brown is sold as "Snoopy's Harp" instead.) Another name used to identify the instrument, especially in scholarly literature, is the older English "trump", while "guimbarde", the French word for the instrument, can be found in unabridged dictionaries and is featured in recent revival efforts.[citation needed]

Since trances are facilitated by droning sounds, the Jew's harp has been associated with magic and has been a common instrument in shamanic rituals.

The temir komuz is made of iron usually with a length of 100–200 mm and with a width of approximately 2–7 mm. The range of the instrument varies with the size of the instrument, but generally hovers around an octave span. The Kyrgyz people are exceptionally proficient on the temir komuz instrument and it is quite popular among children, although some adults continue to play the instrument. There is a National Artist of Kyrgyz Republic who performs on the instrument, temir komuz. One time twenty Kirgiz girls played in a temir komuz ensemble on the stage of the Bolshoi Theater in Moscow. Temir komuz pieces were notated by Zataevich in two or three parts. Apparently an octave drone is possible, or even an ostinato alternating the fifth step of a scale with an octave.

A few of you may recognize the name Marin Mersenne, whose main fame lies outside of music Smile
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
That Mersenne? Did I get his number?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, rockwall wrote:

You seem a bit cranky today Jeff.

Maybe I was. As I said, I'll apologize later if he comes back and joins us in discussions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The slow, secret death of the electric guitar (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL