The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Are hats important? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
I was wondering - should you, as a magician wear a hat? Do you think it could improve the image, make the magician stand out or do you think it is old fashioned and stupid-looking?
What hats do you wear and what would you recommend for the close-up magician?
-Nik
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Of course you can do what you want, but if you are really old fashioned you would never wear a hat inside, so that would eliminate wearing it much of the time during the magic.
Chris
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Please don't wear a hat!! Please!! And for goodness sake, never, EVER, pull a rabbit from anywhere.

The whole top hat thing is completely outdated, and would just give more fuel to my arguments and theories about...never mind. Check some of my old posts for those.

And I agree with Chris too. Hats should not really be worn inside, which would eliminate 95% of your performances.

-- Topher
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Do you, anyone you know and more importantly...

Anyone you perform for wear a hat? Is a hat part of your performing character? Does your performing character desire to wear a hat? ASK THEM!

Seems more useful for each performer to actualize than to get all PC and insist on some sort of conformity.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
I wear a spanish hat (like Zorro).

It is fun...

Plus when I am entertaining kids, I produce a plush rabbit from it at the very beginning of my show. It confirms to them that I am magic.

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
The only two magicians that wear a hat and look good in them are Harry Anderson and Gazzo! Most people can't pull off the fedora look. But this is the opinion of one of the Geritol set who looks good in a hat!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-04-08 09:06, MagicTopher wrote:
The whole top hat thing is completly outdated, and would just give more fuel to my arguments and theories about...never mind. Check some of my old posts for those.

Dang, seems to work for Tamariz.

Then again, who said anything about a top hat? He just asked about hats in general. Jonathan's got the right idea. What would your character wear?

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1779 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Nothing wrong with hats if you ask me - 'pends on the character, really.

And I completely fail to see the above poster's hatred of the "rabbit from a hat" trick.

Have you ever tried it? It's *immensely* difficult for two reasons:
1. As soon as an audience see a hat, especially a topper, they're waiting for a rabbit - you've lost the element of surprise. And,
2. Getting a live bunny into a hat when everyone's watching you - wow, that is hard.

Any magician who can do the rabbit-from-a-hat trick, well...I take my hat off to him!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Jacko
View Profile
New user
Canada
59 Posts

Profile of Jacko
Hats are a great way to show how much you care about your cranial temperature. And they look magical too!!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2004-04-08 09:09, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Do you,

Yes

Quote:
anyone you know...

Yes

Quote:
and more importantly...

Anyone you perform for wear a hat?

No, but check out my costume. I wouldn't expect my audience to look like me, that's why it's a costume. I'm expected to look different than the guys in T-Shirt and shorts carrying a beer in one hand and a fake sword in the other.

Quote:
Is a hat part of your performing character? Does your performing character desire to wear a hat? ASK THEM!

YES and YES!!!

Quote:
Seems more useful for each performer to actualize than to get all PC and insist on some sort of conformity.

Absolutely! If it fits your "style" then go for it! It works for Gazzo, Harry Anderson, Tamariz,.... and me. If it doesn't work for you then simply don't.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
I use hats all the time, because I love hats. I have like 50 different hats. Great designers these days makes great hats that have nothing to do with a magician’s top hat.

If I recall correctly, the first “civilian” hat was the three cornered hat. An interesting thing is that the rabbit from hat trick was created almost 70 years before the top hat. There are registers of the trick since around 1726 (even a nice story about a pregnat woman who got birth white rabbits, as a popular inspiration for the trick), but the top hat was created by a guy named John Etherington in 1797.

I don’t wear hats because I’m a magician. I wear hats because I like hats. Is not part of a costume, or a show, or a magic trick.

If you get inside a place, you take your hat off. that's the way it is.

So, if you like hats, wear a hat, in the same way you use a jean jacket if you like one. Just don’t wear a hat because you saw David Blaine wearig one, or anything like that. Please!

Be real.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I wear a black felt "Gandalf" wizard hat when performing for children.

For adults I usually perform without headgear.

Exception: when busking I perform in a safari shirt and khaki Australian "Anzac" slouch hat to keep my skull from baking in the Summer sun.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Buskers should, theres lots of reasons for one pm me for more.
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
698 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Sylvester the Jester does - and it works really well for him.

Hats should be a function of personal style. If you'd never wear a hat when meeting friends, it's probably not a good idea (costumes notwithstanding).
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
If you feel a hat fits your style then wear it. Only you can decide if it is right for you. Don't let others tell you yes or no. Be yourself and if it feels right do it.

Dan
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
My fedora is a big part of my character. it says a lot to the audience before I say a word. And yeah, Big Daddy can carry it. It's cool!

Here's the deal on hats - if your character needs to wear a hat, then wear one!
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I don't wear one, but I think they're ok if they fit you. (Your character, I mean)

I love the rabbit from the hat trick also. It is not old fashioned to me, it is tradition.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Hats ridiculous, unusual and serious are great if you are a street, renfaire or children's performer as they can complement the genre. For the other genres that's dependent on your style and identity.

Not essential for street, renfaire or children's, but usually great if you can match one to what you're wearing and performing...

They're also a bit of misdirection which keeps the attention on your smiling face and helps you connect...
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-04-08 09:06, MagicTopher wrote:
Please don't wear a hat!! Please!! And for goodness sake, never, EVER, pull a rabbit from anywhere.

The whole top hat thing is completely outdated, and would just give more fuel to my arguments and theories about...never mind. Check some of my old posts for those.

And I agree with Chris too. Hats should not really be worn inside, which would eliminate 95% of your performances.

-- Topher

How do you know where any one of us happens to perform? You are being quite presumptuous.

I did 90% of my performing outdoors, and as long as I was performing either my Merlin character or my Victorian character, the hat was an integral part of the costume.

Of course, these were old-fashioned characters. But this goes to show you that you can't make a flat statement about everyone else's performing situations or needs.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
If I didn't wear a hat, I'd probably have to cut my day busking very short due to sunstroke. So NOT wearing a hat would cut out about 95% of MY performances. Not everybody works inside.

Oh, and by the way, if you read up on the history of pulling a rabbit out of a hat, you won't find the effect so cheesy. What we see in that effect now, is only the last few moments of a grusome routine. Something along the lines of Bosco's ripped and restored pigeon. It's quite fascinating. You should look it up before you write it off.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Are hats important? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL