The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Are hats important? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Chevrie
View Profile
Regular user
West Texas
120 Posts

Profile of Chevrie
I'm from Texas. Hats are quite commonplace around here. Truth is, if the hat fits, wear it.
PyroJeffNic
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
161 Posts

Profile of PyroJeffNic
I used to use a top hat to produce a ball but since then, I have left that idea. I realized that most magicians don't wear hats. I now produce the ball with a little manipulation.
retrostylemagic
prettylady1990
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of prettylady1990
It's up to your characters style
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
As a kids magician, I think hats work for me most of the time. I use it in a couple of routines, so it is just natural that it is a part of my show and I show it by wearing it. Just ask "silly billy" about his hat. He'll tell you it's part of his character I'm sure. Hats/caps do make up your character and look. If that isn't you then don't worry about it.

Snidini
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I don't wear one, it just isn't in my character.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
No, they are not important, I use hats like Michael Jackson in his videos, but I usually throw them away in the beginning Smile

God Bless You, I Love You All
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Okay, so my two cents, or pence on hats:
It depends on your style, and character as well as your prop needs, a Hat can be useful, it can act as a servante, or a ditch for props you are done with and do not want left out as a distraction.
It may even be part of your routine- I have a change Tarbush (Fez for the tourists) that I use in a middle eastern set of effects.
The key is, is it part of the routine, or does it detract from what you are doing.
Hats for YOU should be of the right style to look good when you wear them. Some folks just cannot wear a cowboy hat, or if they can, it must be a certain style to "look right" You have to look at the entire package, not just say "WOW! cool hat, I gotta have it" . Also consider that the image portrayed with hats can be used to make a pre-judgement about you,(sort of cold reading if you will) if you keep it pulled low, are you "hiding", or holding back.
Pushed back on the head, never take it off, wear it backwards, etc. think about what opinions if any you make when you see folks in hats on the street.
The concept of protection from the elements is not new, but also not universal it seems!
Now that that is said, I do know a number of folks who use hats in their performances, and many I have seen who do not. Some perhaps do not use their hat to best effect and should avoid it, but that is my opinion alone.

Only you and your audience will know for sure! Good luck!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Don't listen to others. There are no written or unwritten laws. Except for maybe do what works for YOU.
If it fits what you want to do then do it.
I have seen hats used plenty.

A couple more magicians not yet mentioned that wear a hat...Doc Eason and Doug Anderson (cowboy hat), Robert Baxt. And I know there's more!
Daniel Faith
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
I think you should never ever wear a hat as a magician. I know one who does, and to me this looks just stupid.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
I think you should never listen to magicians, you don't even know, who think they know how to dress you.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Firstly saying a magician should never wear a hat is daft, just as daft as saying a magician should always whear a hat. There are no rules, horses for courses. I like them though.
I've a red fedora like Daddy Cool's, a sparkly topper (a bit like another Café member: Jewls) and the turquoise bowler you can see opposite.
I think they look different and interesting but also you can have a lot of fun with a hat they're very versatile props. I've a 10 minute routine with just me and a hat in one of my shows.

George
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Hats are the most important thing in magic... period, end of story.

Well... socks are important too... So hats and socks, and that's all any magician ever needs to know.

... and a comfortable pair of slacks... but that's definitely all there is to it.

:huh: Smile

Wear what you want to wear Niko. There are no rules or guidelines that dictate what clothes or accessories you can or cannot wear.

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
daleshrimpton
View Profile
Regular user
the u.k
135 Posts

Profile of daleshrimpton
It helps hide the bald spot
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Clifford`s post says it all. Decide for yourself. Still, I think hats look stupid.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Well, one does not want to be thought of as just another pretty fez after all!

Just couldn't resist that one...!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
whoton
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of whoton
I do Larry Jenning's Card to Hat with a bowler hat, such a great routine, if ever I needed incentive to wear a hat busking, there it was! Also good for doing flourishes etc. whilst gathering a crowd and establishing yr skill level. Obviously it also provides another load receptacle for the cups and balls finale. Also on the street when you take your final bow it creates a nice picture if you remove your hat at the same time, providing a convenient receptable for your audience to throw money into.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
What a bunch of hokey pokey. Costumes are what seperates the entertainers from the audience. Anything that makes you stand out the crowd is valid. If you don't want to wear a hat don't. My stage character absolutely needs a top hat, and I would feel naked with out one.
Thanx
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
578 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
I recently added the Caroler's Top Hat to my costume and have gotten great response from all my audiences with it. But it really suits my 'Oliver Twist' character. Another friend performs in a derby. As juggleral says, it separates you from the audience and says you're someone special.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
If I'm doing childrens' shows as a Rowling-esque wizard, I wear a black felt 'Gandalf' hat; it's essential to the character, being part of that costume.

As a mentalist or escape artist, however, I wear no hat (except when busking in the Summer, where I wear an Anzac type slouch hat to protect me from the sun).

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
When I do walk around magic with my hat on I am the tallest person in the room, and the center of attention. Isn't that what it's all about?
Tanx
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Are hats important? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL