The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Are hats important? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Hats should not be worn or used as a prop, just because you may see other entertainers using them. The only reasons, and stress ONLY reasons I USE a hat (fedora) as a prop, is because it is part of my dancing cane routine... and the fact that my entertainment group is The Magic Mafia. So, there is a certain 'gangster' personna that audience members expect to be able to relate to. They see the fedora, which makes sense to them. Jay Humann (one of the other performers in The Magic Mafia) does wear a hat. He wears it for publicity photos only (again, there has to be something our audience members can relate to as being 'gangster' or "mob'ish"). You're more than welcome to go to http://www.magicmafia.com and see what I'm referring to. You may think hats look stupid, and that's your opinion. But to the person with a hat, it is there for a great reason (performance character/completes the costume, goes with the illusion, or used as a stage prop.)

Many, many magicians wear hats (David Mann and Jaxon, just to name two from the Café here). Jeff McBride wears numerous different styles of hats, giving a certain 'look' to the routines he's performing. The hats they've chosen to wear as part of their performance personna, matches their characters very well. Rocco Silano used to perform his 'Light in Flight' routine, by walking on stage carrying his fedora. He needed the hat for a very specific reason before setting it down onto his side table.

I do not wear the fedora at any time during my show. It is merely a prop (along with my Dancing Cane) that I carry on stage from the beginning. Then, the fedora acts as a receptacle to place my production items (billiard balls) into, AFTER they've been produced (makes perfect sense to the audience as WHY I have a hat in the first place.) They soon forget about the fedora, until my final routine (Dancing Cane), in which the fedora is taken off the hat rack as I finish the cane routine. I then walk off stage, just as I entered (holding the fedora and cane).

Hats can either compliment a particular costume, enhancing the entertainment value of the show/routine... or look completely out of place. I wish for all performers using hats in their acts, use the hat to enchance their entertainment value.

Take Care,
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Dear Troy
I do magic tricks with my hat, I juggle my hat, I do comedy routines with my hat, I do flourishes with my hat, I flip my hat from my head to my foot, I flip my hat from my foot to my head, I pass my hat through the crowd when busking, I also wear my hat to look like a professional. All of the above, and probibly a few I forgot are valid reasons to wear a fine hat.
Thanx
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Al;

Sounds like you understand the importance of 'Entertainment Value'. Even though I do not wear a hat while performing, I do advocate the wearing of hats, as long as it helps create a deeper/better/funnier experience for the audience. It also sounds like your hat is a main part of the juggling you perform, as it should be.

I've seen magicians wear hats (many different styles), and many of those hats do not match, or have anything to do with the performer's act/style/routines, etc... Makes me think they are wearing them just to look cool.

Take Care,
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Troy
My hat is used in one fourth of my act, and I wear out two hats a year.
Thank you and good luck
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
I think I look stupid without a hat. I may also look stupid with a hat, but at least its a distictive stupid look.
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
In kid show I think its a must

walk around at expos and fairs yes

stage.... dispite my rapidly retreating hair line I don't

Topper
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
In kids show I think its good to wear a hat as they tend to associate magicians to be people in hats and jackets with a magic wand. It helps them to identify you jus like santa claus is to christmas to them Smile

For walk around I usually don as IMO wearing as casual as possible remoevs the suspicion that you are hiding stuff behind hats etc. But of cos, if the performance requires, then by all means wear it

In all, I think jus do wat you feel suits ur personality. Its good to be comfortable with yourself before performing as that way you can really concentrate on the act.

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
olivertwist
View Profile
Special user
Nashua, NH
588 Posts

Profile of olivertwist
My hat has had a noticeable effect on the audience response to my act. It may be that it rounds out my character, or perhaps it just covers my thinning hair and bald spot, but for me it works.

Oliver
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
If the hat fits, wear it!

As Max the Magician, I perform silent-comedy magic and I am comfortable in my bowler hat. Audiences seem to rememebr Max and his hat years later.

As Jack the Gambler, I wear my dealer's visor.

As Dr. Zee, the mind reader, no hat, but half-glasses.

If it is an extension of your persona, and suits your style, the right head gear can make a strong statement and memmorable impression.

Besides, if you eventually lose your hair, you won't be as vunerable to catching cold.
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Burnt
View Profile
New user
England
66 Posts

Profile of Burnt
I don't normally wear a hat during a stage show but I walk on wearing one. It's really become part of my individual style just to wear a hat. I like to dress the style of my magic. And then when I get on stage I do the old appearing cane and put the hat on that at some point and put it down.
There is no rule restricting you to a specific hat e.g a tophat. Wear what suits you and your magic.
I ither wear a trilby or a beret or sometimes something else but I find the beret suits the most (that reminds me, I must update old avatar!). I just like the hats as an accesory which are just as suitable as nice cufflinks, pendants, earings, ties etc
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I used to wear a Shriner's-type hat, but my wife wanted me to be something more than just another pretty fez... Dese odder guys may be a magic mafia, but I am de master of Pun-fu...!

;)

However, I will use one if I can borrow one for the Benson Bowl routine...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
scottasf
View Profile
Regular user
san leandro, ca
157 Posts

Profile of scottasf
Quote:

Any magician who can do the rabbit-from-a-hat trick, well...I take my hat off to him!

How about the Hat-from-around-a-rabbit trick?

Fedoras are cool looking, especially the one I got from the hat guys in Oakland, Ca.

I will wear it as I walk onstage than take it off as I start the act.

scott
2008/2009 President Oakland Magic Circle

"Life would be so wonderful if we only knew what to do with it." - Greta Garbo
Doc Pepper
View Profile
New user
Black Hills of South Dakota
82 Posts

Profile of Doc Pepper
If a hat is a part of your `look' by all means wear it. Someone saying a magician should not wear a hat is ridiculous. Mind your own look and we hat wearers will mind ours. Doc
The Doctor will see you now! ;-)
Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Doc Eason wears his trademark derby hat, and his multiple selection routine always ends up with the final card being in his hat, after showing his hands completly bare.

I have seen street magicians who wear baseball caps and use similar routines. Like many have said, if the glove fits, why not?

Hats suit some people, and don't suit others. Im not keen on them if I can help it, but maybe you can work a trick into your hat nik?
Static
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Static
I almost always wear a hat when preforming on the streets, but I don't think I would ever wear one inside if I was doing resteraunt. I usually wear a trucker or Red Sox baseball hat when out on the streets. Love my hats, But it would be odd if I was inside I think. I would never wear a top hat, just because it doesn't work for my character. All about who you are, and what you want to do.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Are hats important? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL