The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What a nice message (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
Hi Al,

Could you share an update with us on the purchase regarding how long it takes for delivery.

Thanks,

CHRIS
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
753 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, Darkness wrote:

Too bad for Tim's legacy work, its now literally worthless as a collectible (made by Tim). Glad I sold all mine. I got out before the market dipped Smile Wait a second I have Pandora left. Anyone?

I know you feel passionately about what has occurred (I do too) and continues to happen but I think "literally worthless as a collectible" is a little over the top. Trusted sellers at the Café, especially those who are the original owners will still get a reasonable asking price if they want to sell but honestly I doubt that many thought they were going to strike it rich when they bought one of those items. They have been for sale in the café for some time and haven't gone up in value much as far as I can tell and I'm not disappointed – I know the provenance of my items and have thoroughly enjoyed and continue to enjoy them. I expect that Tims quality work will always stand out among the rest.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2618 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
I couldn't agree more, Lo Pan. I own and have owned many of Tim's pieces. The one's I've kept I enjoy regularly. The ones I've sold, I got a good price for. IMO, the value of these items is not just in what you think you can sell them for.
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
horus1
View Profile
Special user
639 Posts

Profile of horus1
I own many of Tim's pieces. To me they are priceless. I also have first hand experience of him recently, and generously supporting his legacy work.
I find Darkness's post bitter and unsubstantiated. I'm not sure what the future holds for OE, but Tim and Karl's work is golden and as valuable today as the day it was released, if not more so.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5469 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Darkness is spot on with the Fender analogy. But I don't agree at all with the value of Tim's past work. This is a small club of followers whether they be practitioners or collectors, and all are pretty well connected and savvy. I have over a dozen of Tim's pieces and know that they will hold their worth and maybe more so now, and those who are in the know, will always know what to look for. I have no doubt that if I wanted to...and I don't (more than ever)...sell these props, I could get as much or more than what I paid for them.

Beyond that, this issue supports my belief that one should purchase and collect only what she or he loves, that way, you are never in the hole. And that makes your collection pretty much priceless.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Don't get me wrong. I'm talking about the $ value as a collector item. Who can be sure its an original as I mentioned if you buy second hand. Not the worth or value of an original prop you currently own. The market will soon be flooded with copies. I'm taking about new guys buying off of strangers. I'm not paying the same price for a knock off and btw it might be a very close knock off. You think you will be able to spot a fake. What about a guy who has never seen a real one and wants to collect. I'm hardly bitter it is a logical fact. Now some guy will pay fair market $ for a tim prop that is not made by tim. Is that fair market?

Collectors can still collect but the resale market is dead for legacy props because you will never know if you are buying a fake. $/value is also why people collect. That part of the value is dead.

Read the fender analogue. A usa strat is what collectors really want, not the ones made in japan. Unless you collect the japan ones. If you don't know which is which, are you saying you would collect it if you didn't know who made it? Or would collecting those now be less desirable?

I guess you may have to be a guitarist to understand fully what I was getting at?
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2156 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2017, Rattooth wrote:
Some of you may be interested in a brand new show on NETFLIX - GYPSY, starring NAOMI WATTS. I watched 5 minutes , and it showed her walking down steps to a coffee shop called RABBIT HOLE. The voice over said , " Our lives are not ruled by free will, but the subconscious.
( With the recent release of Dopps book ALICE IN WONDERLAND, and ALICE DECKS , I thought of you all. Maybe the show could spark an idea.)

Thanks for the tip on the new Netflix show. It has nothing to do with gypsies or Alice but it is an interesting psychosexual thriller about a psychologist that leads a double life with people her patients mention in therapy.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
All of Tim's stuff is excellent. I bought his original Spirit Telegraph when he first came on the scene (I still have to find whacky thin batteries for it Smile) - and I've been collecting his materials ever since.

I really don't think any company making knock offs is going to ever make enough or good enough to bring down the value of the devices. Besides, as a collector, who the heck wants to sell until a significant other demands money for the mortgage?!?!?!?! Smile

(Oh I know my stuff is real as I bought all mine ages ago and stopped buying years ago except direct from the artisans themselves)

Anyway, the who knows what is real or not anyway?

Time for everyone to reread TMITHC (and not the TV show - read the book)

http://www.nineroses.com/pkd/tmithcnf.html

"..."Historicity"--a key element in the TMITHC--turns out to be deceptive. Frank, for instance, has been making fake "antique" guns. Wyndam-Matson's lecture to his girlfriend shows that the "authenticity" [of historicity] lies in a piece of paper, not in the thing itself. By extension from this theme, we therefore can ask 'Is the universe depicted in Grasshopper any more true than the universe Juliana is currently in?'..."

What a world!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of Darkness
[quote]On Jul 5, 2017, Dr Spektor wrote:
I really don't think any company making knock offs is going to ever make enough or good enough to bring down the value of the devices.
/quote]

The problem is new guys will never know the difference down the road and they will be paying top dollar, thinking they may be buying an original Tim's. Even one copy in the market is a problem for someone (maybe not you). The devices are pretty simple, unless you have Tim's schematics for the device to compare like for like, you may never know one old box for another.

The only way for Outlaw to help guard against this watering down is to stamp the doctors seal on it. But why would they? Who wants to buy a copy and pay the same retail price?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor

Rattooth
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Rattooth
As I journey through the landscape of mystery , I seek knowledge . TRUTH! Enlighten the unitiated. Who is this neferious character , you refer to as DOCTOR? Does any dare to utter a Christian name , even in the light of noon sun?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
The interesting title of The Doctor is that, just like the TV character, you can have multiple people be that title over time.... when one is used up, time for "regeneration."

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I'd just like a very basic spirit bell...
I've asked to be banned
Terrormaster
View Profile
Regular user
New England
139 Posts

Profile of Terrormaster
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, Dr Spektor wrote:
The interesting title of The Doctor is that, just like the TV character, you can have multiple people be that title over time.... when one is used up, time for "regeneration."

THIS... I think this hit the nail on the head.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1512 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Dr. Chris SIpes

http://www.chrissipes.com/
Rattooth
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Rattooth
Thank you.
xtrouble
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of xtrouble
I would have thought that most of Outlaw's clients pass through here at some stage. I can't see many people buying basically "ripped off" items, when the original creator is still in business !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What a nice message (31 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL