The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Hand creams/lotions to grip cards better? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
WazMeister
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of WazMeister
Steve,

Thanks
tried that site, wont let me choose UK for shipping
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1260 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2013-11-16 04:23, mindmagic wrote:
Some time ago, on another thread, someone recommended buying a small bottle of glycerin from the baking section of a supermarket. This works very well for coins, but I'm not sure about using it on cards; when I tried it, it left a sticky mark, but perhaps I should have let it dry for longer.

Barry

Hi, Barry:

I've been using this glycerin/alcohol solution for thirty years and never had an issue with it making the cards sticky.

It's true, as someone mentioned previously, that you need to keep rubbing your hands till it dries. I usually wind up pressing my hands on a Kleenex or the like. The idea is to leave a microlayer of dried glyceryin.

After using A FEW DROPS of the solution, don't try to get the benefit of the tackiness IF YOUR HANDS STILL FEEL WET. It's a practical, common sense thing. Wet = wet; dry = dry but minutely tacky.

Also, you need to dilute it with that small amount of alcohol. That's the formula and you can't just not use the alcohol. Glycerin by itself is too thick. And it won't dry without thinning it (with the alcohol).

Good luck! This should be really easy...keep it easy.

- Steve
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Long live Lowell and Richie!
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1260 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2013-11-16 09:25, WazMeister wrote:
Steve,

Thanks
tried that site, wont let me choose UK for shipping

Warren:

Sorry 'bout that.

But I'm tellin' ya, I have super-dry hands (most humans have this condition accelerate after age 50 or 60) and the glycerin/alcohol (and maybe a COUPLE OF DROPS of rosewater) mixture is the answer. A lifetime supply is $2 to $3 US, which, when converted to your local currency, is "dirt cheap" world-wide!

One detail about the glycerin/alcohol mixture: The glycerin you'll buy is a slick, very thick, syrupy liquid. It's too thick in that form for what you want to wind up with, which is that nearly-dry (not powder dry) microlayer on your skin.

Alcohol is used here (and in the commercial products) because it evaporates more quickly than water.

Use a small amount of alcohol. Try a little at a time. If it's still thick, add just a little bit more alcohol. It will always be a little slick when it's wet but it shouldn't be thick. I mean, expect to spend ten or twenty minutes experimenting.

And lastly, I just found this sometime-funny, typically-irreverent discussion about the ingredients in Cornhuskers Lotion. Corhuskers was recommended by a pro who just lectured in Raleigh a couple of weeks ago.

The additives, as I stated yesterday, are water and alcohol to dilute the glycerin (I don't use water) and then preservatives and fragrances, which we really don't need.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.......s-Lotion

I guess the bottom line is, any homemade or commercial lotion made with glycerin will work, as long as it doesn't have some type of oil in it.

Good luck!

- Steve
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Long live Lowell and Richie!
WazMeister
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of WazMeister
Thanks!

Is this the stuff I would need?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vegetable-Deri......2f2945e9
Struggle to find the Alchol stuff though, anyone able to find what product I would need (UK store or UK ebay)

Thanks for your time and help
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1260 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
That should work fine! If you go to a pharmacy, it's usually with the soaps and skin creams, as skin hydration is the most common use of the pure form.

Here's all you wanted to know about all forms and uses of glycerin, plus a couple you didn't want to know about probably.
;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

Good bye and good luck!
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1329 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
You can buy a glycerine and rosewater mixture from UK chemists, but it's very runny and you need to use it over a sink! I didn't find the smell a problem. Neutrogena is what I normally use if I have to handle cards (which I don't do often anyway).

Barry
WazMeister
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of WazMeister
Can someone advise alchol product I can use to mix the Glycerrine?

Cant not find which product I need to mix with it, don't want to go with rose water product tbh

man so wish skinners edge was still avaiabl.e best product ever created in magic! Smile
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1260 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:
On 2013-11-17 14:12, WazMeister wrote:

Can someone advise alchol product I can use to mix the Glycerrine?

???

RUBBING ALCOHOL.....from any druggist in the UK! Just go buy it, for God's sake.

:rolleyes:
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1517 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
http://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/chamber......el-size/

Mark Stevens turned me on to this stuff a while back and it works great.
Doc Svengali
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Doc Svengali
This works well if you are having trouble spreading cards in a rough and smooth deck such as brainwave or invisible deck:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N1......F8&psc=1
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4193 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2002, variable75 wrote:
along with cornhuskers the great card expert Richard Turner recommended using Baby Lotion which I find works great for me. You can buy a little bottle at any supermarket for under 3 bucks. Give it a try!

A vegetarian friend of mine won’t use baby oil. She says it’s cruel to squeeze babies so hard that oil comes out.
Dave “SPARKY” Matkin

http://www.gofundme.com/MyMadTriathlon

Now AKA........
Smile “WHEELS” Smile
That’s the closest smilies to a wheelchair so I’m using them despite not having a horse ….. or being able to do the walking globe. Mmmmm can you do a walking globe in a wheelchair?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8043 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Everyone's body chemistry is different! I've used Chamberlain's
"Golden Touch Lotion for EONS.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4193 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2019, Dick Oslund wrote:
Everyone's body chemistry is different! I've used Chamberlain's
"Golden Touch Lotion for EONS.

Well and good Dick .... but who is this Eon you speak of? Do I know him(or her) is it pronounced like Ian or a more European sound to it? If the latter we will need this thread extending until at least say June 2023 before we can even discuss how to pronounce it let alone start using his or her name.

Yup I’m in a silly silly mood!!!
Dave “SPARKY” Matkin

http://www.gofundme.com/MyMadTriathlon

Now AKA........
Smile “WHEELS” Smile
That’s the closest smilies to a wheelchair so I’m using them despite not having a horse ….. or being able to do the walking globe. Mmmmm can you do a walking globe in a wheelchair?
kcbeave
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of kcbeave
I agree that Chamberlain's golden touch lotion is the best, It has worked best for me 1 spray is all you need
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Hand creams/lotions to grip cards better? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL