The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » IOS 11 and the removal of 32 bit apps. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pwolverine
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
108 Posts

Profile of pwolverine
Hi there,

I thought I'd start a thread around iOS11 which now is limited (rightfully IMHO) to use only 64bit apps within iOS11 and beyond. Currently its in the BETA stages (only public beta 1 is out) with the release in September/October as usual, so there is still time for developers to update to the 64 bit version.

There have been warning messages all through iOS 10 about 32 bit apps not being compatible in the future, so many developers have had warnings / time to update their apps, other people haven't for whatever reason (old code not compatible, too much work, etc. etc.) to update it so it will work with iOS11.

If you click SETTINGS - GENERAL - ABOUT - APPLICATIONS you can see a list of apps that currently do not have a 64 bit version released. (I have about 150'ish apps listed at the moment)

Some apps you click on are removed from the app store bringing up the message:

"XXXXXXX" Not Available In App Store.
This app is not currently available in the sotre. Contact the app developer for more information.

I was just wondering which apps you have that haven't been updated yet? This may be a good indication if its no longer supported not to purchase it only for a few months and for it to then not work, or to politely hint to developers that it would be great if they could update that app to a 64 bit version before the official iOS11 is released. Smile

The app's I currently have listed are:
iForce - Grigor Rostami (last updated 3 years ago)
No Choice - no longer in app store so ? developer
Street Magic - ? Ellusionist?
P&T Chat - Peen & Teller - no longer in app store

All my others seem to be good, some just need a few cosmetic updates to reflect the new iOS11 design.

I was just curious if other people may have apps that still need 64 bit upgrades, that are still in the App store, or that have developers disappeared and are now no longer listed which I guess is the downside to app type magic as opposed to getting a physical prop or DVD. This is no way any attack or anything else against any magic developer at all, however since updating to iOS11 Public Beta I'm now a little more aware of which of my apps still need updating, especially if they relate to my work or business and I hope to contact some of them to ask/request they get updated. Smile Also not meant to be some sort of Android/iOS debate either. Smile

Thanks,
rrubin98
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta (USA)
277 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
Hi,

You're quite correct about iOS 11: 64-bit apps will be required. Beta 3 of iOS 11 should be out later this week. This version of iOS is a huge upgrade for the iPad: it introduces drag & drop as well as other great features.

Given that Apple takes 30% off the top of every sale and charges developers $100 just to sell their apps, it can be difficult motivate a developer to update an app that is no longer making money.

To upgrade older apps developers need to use a recent version of Xcode with typically the latest iOS version as the base SDK. Then any deprecated API calls need to be updated to use their newer replacements. Further, older apps often need to be redesigned to look correct on newer device sizes. So it can be a significant amount of work if the developer didn't use Auto Layout and other forward-thinking approaches. Heck, it's a lot of work no matter what. That's one reason I create only apps that I will actually use myself.

Thanks,

Richard
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Special user
Norfolk, UK
892 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
When I click - SETTINGS - GENERAL - ABOUT - APPLICATIONS it just shows the number of apps but you can't click on it to show 64bit versions? Have I missed something?
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
pwolverine
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
108 Posts

Profile of pwolverine
It should show you a list of applications that are 32 bit which haven't been updated to 64 bit yet. So on iOS 10.3.? you should be able to see those apps, and run them (not from settings). But when you run them you get a warning saying they may slow your device down and won't be supported in the future.

In Settings, when you click on the app it should either take you to the app store so you can contact the developer to request a 64 bit version be updated. Or it gives you a message saying the developer has removed the app from the app store.

In iOS11 however, you can't run those apps at all. It gives you a message saying its no longer compatible.

But we're still in the beta phase of iOS11, so there's time for developers to update their apps if they chose to or release a new version that is 64 bit.

It will be interesting to see what happens when iOS11 goes live however, not just for magic apps, but for other apps people have paid for.
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Special user
Norfolk, UK
892 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Good news then, all my apps are fine, including MagiDate which is my own! My developer couldn't remember if it was 64 bit but that confirms it!
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of Secret Servante, Genetics, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2594 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
We will be updating iForce and other apps to be 64 bit.

Greg Rostami
qualysoft
View Profile
Regular user
Presidente Prudente/SP - Brasil
106 Posts

Profile of qualysoft
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2017, Greg Rostami wrote:
We will be updating iForce and other apps to be 64 bit.

Greg Rostami

Great news, Greg! Thank you!
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of LesL
Apple Store is still selling 32bit apps. Buyer beware.
Marshall the Magi
View Profile
New user
Oxnard, CA
11 Posts

Profile of Marshall the Magi
@pwolverine - Great topic! These are real concerns because time and money have been spent that could be lost due to obsolete apps.

Here's my two cents -

Keep a spare device with an older iOS version to run legacy apps. It doesn't have to be connected to a cellular network (unless that's a requirement for the app of course). Manage the apps using iTunes from a computer instead of relying on a data plan connection.

Also, try contacting the developer to determine if there are any plans to update their app. If the app has already been removed from the App Store, give good ole' Facebook a try. Many app developers (not just magic apps) create a FB presence for additional support. Try searching for the app in your favorite browser, too. Maybe there's still an active web site for the developer.

Upgrading an existing app should be relatively easy to do, compared to creating an app from scratch. Of course, a developer is under no obligation to support their app in perpetuity. We are talking about a very niche market yielding relatively minor compensation. I doubt if anyone is planning on funding their retirement from magic app revenue.

BTW: Other than iForce, all of my installed magic apps are safe. Greg - Looking forward to the update.
- Larry

Oracle Board - Magic that happens in the spectators hands!
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
433 Posts

Profile of Hushai
I'm so happy to hear that iForce will be updated! I would hate to lose it.
What about Magic Draw, and NFW?
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
222 Posts

Profile of terrillific
IForce is still my fav app I use the most for predictions.
lukkudlek
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of lukkudlek
As an iPhone 4S owner, iOS 11 isn't even available for my device...
qualysoft
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of qualysoft
IForce stopped working. Smile
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1575 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
I lost 12 apps. I force, MagicDraw and handzoff were the three that hurt the most. Not buying anymore apps. What a shame.
rrubin98
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta (USA)
277 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
Happy to report that all the magic apps I've written still work in iOS 11 and WatchOS 4.

- Richard
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1563 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Iforce need to update for ios11...

such an excellent app and very useful in mentalism close up work.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

http://rubiksdream.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
IForce has been updated and should now work with iOS 11.
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
qualysoft
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of qualysoft
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2017, Phil J. wrote:
IForce has been updated and should now work with iOS 11.

Nice!

Thanks!
Marshall the Magi
View Profile
New user
Oxnard, CA
11 Posts

Profile of Marshall the Magi
Just installed version 1.7, compatible with iOS 11. Loads and runs fine, but the "springboard" option is missing. The release notes mention it should return in a future update. I can certainly appreciate how difficult that could be to code, especially for the iPhone X due out in November.
- Larry

Oracle Board - Magic that happens in the spectators hands!
birdman69
View Profile
New user
Sydney, Australia
76 Posts

Profile of birdman69
Magic Spider - My Pet Boris and iThump with TOXIC+ Are both 64bit apps and work properly with iOS8 through iOS11.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » IOS 11 and the removal of 32 bit apps. (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL