The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » After Dark by Matt Johnson (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Profile of matthewjohnson
Hi everyone,

I am posting to let you all know about my new release "After Dark".

About 4 years ago I had the pleasure of being asked to present my handling for "Dark Arts" by Matt Mello which many of you know to be an incredible creation by Matt and one of my favourite go to peeks of information written by a spectator on a hidden business card.

Over the past 4 years I have been working on a new envelope. One that allows you to achieve the same peek but with a single envelope. The envelope can be shown to the spectator not only on the outside but also on the inside as being solid and opaque both before and after the effect.

I am very proud of this release and believe it to be one of my best to date. The envelope is a worker, easy to do, instantly resets and is customizable for your own performance style and presentations.

Take a look: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8643

Love to know what you think.

Cheers,

MJ
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3732 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I while back I purchased Dark ARts. As soon as I saw this available I purchashed it as well. Dark Arts is terrific. I like that it comes with a pdf with all of the necessary graphics. I will watch it a bit later. I know it will be jsut as good if not better than Dark ARts.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
magic maniac
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
Magicinsight - I'd be interested on your thoughts on if/how this is an improvement over Dark Arts.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1045 Posts

Profile of sbays
It's Dark Arts amped up a little bit. The envelope can be opened and shown on the inside. The spectator can remove the cards from the inside. They can look in and see nothing amiss. It's a very clever advancement of the Dark Arts principal. The PDF's are provided so that you can make up the envelopes. And it also gives away to construct the envelopes using standard coin envelopes. It's a neat idea.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4675 Posts

Profile of videoman
I really liked Dark Arts a lot so I will probably check out Matt's improved version as well.
Over the last couple years I have changed and modified the envelope as well so maybe it is a similar idea, but I'm sure this is likely better than what I came up with.
But I almost always like the Matt's (Mello & Johnson) so I'm confident there is some good ideas in there.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2468 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
If you liked Dark Arts, you're going to love After Dark. This is a definite improvement with proper recognition to Matt. MJ knocked this one out of the Park.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
MagicallyMe
View Profile
Veteran user
Manhattan Beach, CA
350 Posts

Profile of MagicallyMe
I love and use Dark Arts and already own Matts download on it.
Not that that's a big deal for me (it wasn't for the original Dark Arts), but was curious if this version could be freely handled by the spectator.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1045 Posts

Profile of sbays
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2017, MagicallyMe wrote:
I love and use Dark Arts and already own Matts download on it.
Not that that's a big deal for me (it wasn't for the original Dark Arts), but was curious if this version could be freely handled by the spectator.

Short answer is no. Bu they will feel like they did at the end.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2502 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
You have to make your own envelope? Or,can you put the work into a regular envelope?
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1045 Posts

Profile of sbays
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2017, Jerskin wrote:
You have to make your own envelope? Or,can you put the work into a regular envelope?

You can do either with some minor variance.
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the reviews guys, so glad you are enjoying this Smile

I believe Dark Arts by Matt Mello is great, let me say that right off the bat. I could not have developed After Dark without his creative thinking and ingenious work. That being said I believe I have made it better and I know when you get this you are going to think so too. Matt Mello is a legend I am simply standing tall on his shoulders and with his full permission Smile

After Dark is quite different to Dark Arts, it is in my opinion, a major step forward in the brilliant concept Matt created. The envelope can be looked at closely both on the outside and the inside by the spectator which was not possible with the original, even with my added handling. This is a single envelope. The spectator can even put their fingers in the envelope and wiggle them around if they want to get that close. It is a solid envelope.

Even with all examination before the card is placed in the envelope the After Dark envelope will still give you an unobstructed view of the contents of the envelope. I cannot say anymore than that without tipping the method. I am really proud of the method. While simple it took quite a while to develop and get just right. The method is ingenious and one of those "That's really cool" moments.

To answer Jerskins question. You can make your own envelopes as I suggest in the download and I give you templates for 4 different envelopes to cover all manner of mentalism routines. One of the envelopes is even left blank so you can add your own images or drawings to the envelope (either printed or freehand) to customise After Dark for yourself. I also go into great detail to show you how to put the work into a regular envelope too, so you have both options.

The envelope template I provide is all made from one piece. That is to say the After Dark envelope is not made up of multiple pieces that could come apart in performance. It is strong and when you construct it will last. The envelopes design to make it out of one piece took me some time to figure out and get just right.

I hope all of this helps.

MJ
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2228 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Are the presentations from the previous download covered on these or are they better?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12068 Posts

Profile of John C
If the awesome beard and stash come with it, I'm in.

Looks good. The envelope, the stash and beard.

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
100% getting it when I get some cash I'm due tomorow
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

MagicBrent,

Presentations are really unlimited. 3 of the envelope templates have custom printed graphics for set presentations. The last envelope is blank for your own presentations and ideas.

Cheers,

MJ

JohnC it took almost as long to grow the beard and stash as it did to create the envelope Smile

Reviews are starting to come in.

"Just got this. Very cool envelope. Nice work" - Greg Arce

"This is a definite improvement to Dark Arts. Matt's new envelope can clearly be shown open and empty, completely with NO visible "windows" at all. Yet the envelope is so devious for getting the information right in front of the spectators on the fly! For the money this is a steal. Really good!" - Justin Lewis

"Simply Diabolical and a home run! The fact that it is still customizable is really fantastic!" - Billy Jamez
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Super excited that After Dark has now reached the top 20 best sellers at Penguin Magic. Thanks to everyone, it means a lot that you are all enjoying it so much. I truly believe this is a game changer and am so proud of it after all the hard work.

Thank you sincerely everyone.

MJ
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5377 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Ok so I don't buy much these days BUT when Matt Johnson comes out with something new I usually take notice.He seems to be one of the most creative guys in magic and his material always and he never lets me down ....are workers..... Well he didm;t let me down with After Dark. If you're a guy who leans towards mentalism I don't know how you can ignore this release....its just KILLER and it has a million possibilities....

Im not sure how anyone can go wrong with this one.....Im going to use this....

The only thing I don't like about this release is I didn't release it through Kozmomagic....but maybe someday Matt will come over from the dark side Smile

Kozmo
TopJimmy
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of TopJimmy
Is Dark Arts the envelope that required the magician to draw an enormous black solid box? If so does this trick require the same setup. Thanks in advance.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2468 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, TopJimmy wrote:
Is Dark Arts the envelope that required the magician to draw an enormous black solid box? If so does this trick require the same setup. Thanks in advance.

You get templates to work with.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1765 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, matthewjohnson wrote:
I truly believe this is a game changer and am so proud of it after all the hard work.

MJ

Agreed After Dark is indeed a game changer. This is a truly excellent release. Everything so carefully thought out and all the details worked through. I've seen many p@@k envelopes, but never one like this. Conceptually it's almost like a "self sealing" P@@k envelope in that the secret method for gaining the information is there one second, then becomes invisible the next...only to be instantly re-set for repeat use.

Very innovative. Very clever. Very practical.

Nice work, Matt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » After Dark by Matt Johnson (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL