The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » After Dark by Matt Johnson (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4677 Posts

Profile of videoman
Kind of reminds me of a paper envelope version of the Quiver purse.
Very good thinking on Matt's part.
As already stated by others...super clever and super practical.
Dark Arts works well and has always been a favorite but this version is definitely an improvement.
You gain a lot without losing anything IMO.
Very glad Matt chose to keep working on this and raising the bar.
TopJimmy
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of TopJimmy
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, Steven Conner wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 8, 2017, TopJimmy wrote:
Is Dark Arts the envelope that required the magician to draw an enormous black solid box? If so does this trick require the same setup. Thanks in advance.

You get templates to work with.

I can see that but does one have to scribble all over the (template) envelope and make up an excuse as to justify these actions. I just wish they would include a full performance. I don't really care about dropping a 20 on a download but some mentalism does not fit my personality at all. The trick looks great would just like to see it in the wild. Thank you
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2870 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Look at Mark Striving's making of "ESP in my Pocket IV" (2004) and you get an idea what to expect (no matter if it's an ESP square, a house or any other 'frame' that you have to draw on the outside).
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Profile of matthewjohnson
Nicolino thanks for stepping in and trying to help. I appreciate it.

TopJimmy. Its a reasonable question. You certainly don't ahve to colour in. As a matter of fact I had never thought of this until now but because you can show the inside of the envelope as completely solid with no window, not only that but they can feel around in there and remove the cards from the envelope if they wish. Because of this its not important that you bring any attention to the outside. So actually you could have a blank envelope with absolutely nothing on it, no pictures, no squares, nothing. That is actually a great idea that did not occur to me until your question.

Those that own After Dark already will understand. Simply use the customizable template but remove the graphics using your favourite photo editing software or print the template, cover the graphics with duplicate coloured paper and then photocopy a master copy.

I personally like using the images on the envelope however if you don't you could go this route Smile Just change your handling of the envelope Smile Being cryptic here but sure you get it.

May be a nice, cool looking all black opaque envelope Smile

MJ
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3136 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Just finished to see the video explanation of this beauty. Is a fantastic improvement of this concept and there is a lot of clever thinking behind it. In the hour+ video you not only get all the info on how to create your envelope but a LOT of insight on how to get the best from your tool! Trust me, if you looking for a practical way to p@@@k you need to get this asap!
Peter Eggink
View Profile
V.I.P.
Netherlands
422 Posts

Profile of Peter Eggink
I had the privilege to receive a copy from Matt and must say that this is a beautiful, well thought out, smart, fun thing. I can't see anybody being disappointed with Matt's latest offer. I really like it!

Peter Eggink
https://www.deceptivedreamz.com/product-page/cash-card-by-armanujjaman-abir-peter-eggink

CA$H CARD -a brand new credit card to bill...and vice versa!
DeeChristopherMagic
View Profile
Special user
637 Posts

Profile of DeeChristopherMagic
I was shown After Dark a little while ago and I think it's a GREAT idea - A real evolution of Mello's work on the concept with some really nice touches.

If you're looking for a practical and easy to set up peek device that you can make at home, you won't be disappointed. You also get a bunch of different templates included, which opens it up to a bunch of different presentational angles.

This is a really cool release, I'm going to go make one up now to play with it! Smile
Producer // PenguinMagic.com

My new book :: Astral Psychometry. Modern Mystical Mentalism.
Magic Cafe members get 20% off - Use code MAGICCAFE at checkout!

https://deechristopher.rocks/collections/dee-christopher-products/products/astral-psychometry
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
870 Posts

Profile of Nechto
I love the Dart Arts effect and use it regularly at gigs so when I saw After Dark I was immediately interested. Matt knows I loved Dark arts so shared this with me and I must say it is even cleverer than I thought. Matt has evolved an already great idea and made it a real worker. You get everything you need to make your own envelopes making it a steal. I can't recommend this more if you are looking for an easy, completely fooling full p***, that looks as fair as can be. Thumbs up for sure, thank you Matt.

Ben
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
It is very like the seer envelope but apart from the pictures bit
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Profile of matthewjohnson
Thanks so much guys for the awesome reviews.

Its really cool to me that pros like it Smile It seems today that more and more releases go after the quick sell and don't care about the people really performing this stuff. I believe (and it seems you all do too) that After Dark is a BIG step forward on this principal and I know, as Ben mentioned, that even if you think you know whats going on you will be pleasantly surprised with the gimmick Smile

Workers will love this and when I say workers I just mean the people that want material that really works, that doesn't end up in the junk drawer and that is as fun to perform as it is for the spectators watching it Smile

It's already reached #10 on the Best Seller list ovet at Penguin which just goes to show that good magic sells (and not just flashy trailers). I have been involved in magic for 30 years and I can tell you, it makes me happy to know people still care about good magic!
MJ
Karl M
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Karl M
Top draw release mate well done,you alwyas hit gold with it
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2199 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
I know that Matt uses this in the real world in his many, many, corporate gigs. I've seen it up close myself as well. It is a sold, easy to do and highly deceptive piece of mentalism with NO funny moves.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Prager
View Profile
Inner circle
e-Mentalism.com
1852 Posts

Profile of Prager
How is it different from Dr. Jaks envelope?

Look CIA envelope at trickshop.com
Jose Prager
The man who knows how to amuse and mystify

www.e-mentalism.com
Secret products for mentalists.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4677 Posts

Profile of videoman
I just recently bought both the Akkelian envelopes and the new Matt Johnson release After Dark, in search of the best envelope for me. I really shouldn't say best because they are both great but as with most things it will surely come down to personal preference. I haven't yet received the Akkelian envelopes but I have watched the tutorial.

Thought I'd give a very brief comparison for any of you on the fence.

Akkelian comes pre-made and ready to go with 20 peek envelopes and 5 regular envelopes.
After Dark is a DL only and comes with templates to print and make your own.
Both envelopes should last a long time so 20 is quite a few to have.
But I do like that with After Dark you can choose to make it out of heavier card stock and in any color you desire. I also like that you can make unlimited regular envelopes and let the spec keep the envelope and business card as a souvenir if you wish. To do this with Akkelian you'd have to buy more regular envelopes because I don't believe you can make matching ones yourself, although it MAY be possible but unlikely anyone would go to the trouble since handing it out is not necessary anyway.

Akkelian is plain white envelope. After Dark has printing or drawings on both sides (in most cases) which some may not care for although it is totally justified in the context of Matt's routine.

Both are gaffed but in totally different ways, and both can be visually inspected by the participants as well as felt around inside. But neither can be thoroughly examined without involving a switch. But it should be noted that usually a switch can be very easily worked into this type of routine if you really like to be able to leave everything in their hands at the end.

I'm not an expert in envelopes but the Akkelian seems to be a rather odd size than what most people are used to seeing. After Dark looks more like a standard change or pay envelope and is probably better suited if you are using business cards. Akkelian are square and about twice the size of a business card so if you use a biz card with Akkelian and have the spec slide the card into the envelope you will very likely have to instruct them to put the card in the proper way since most will want to slide it in oriented differently. Which is okay but it will not allow you to peek the entire card. Trying not to reveal too much here but it could be an important point to some people.

So which do I prefer?
Hard to say at this point as each have their advantages but since I have been performing a Dark Arts style routine for a couple years I tend to gravitate towards what I am used to and my routine makes good use of the drawings on the envelope so I actually like having them on there. Also, I almost always give everything away at the end so being able to make regular envelopes is a plus for me.
But to be fair, I haven't been able to see and hold the Akkelian envelopes yet, let alone actually use them. I do plan on trying them out and it is entirely possible that the advantages they offer will sway me in their direction. Especially if regular ungaffed envelopes were to be made available at a low price.

So much of this boils down to personal preference. For instance I really prefer using a peek envelope rather than a wallet, but many wallet fans can no doubt make a good argument as to why they prefer a wallet.

Both of these envelopes are great additions to the marketplace and I applaud both creators for their thinking and ingenuity in creating these AND releasing them to the community.

I haven't yet seen Jamie Daws Seer envelope so I may have to check that one out as well.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Does the original, Dark Arts, have any advantage over After Dark? In other words, if I own After Dark, is there any reason to get the Dark Arts download?
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2017, Prager wrote:
How is it different from Dr. Jaks envelope?

Look CIA envelope at trickshop.com

They are different, CIA envelope needs flap inside to begin and you cant show both sides.

Prager you will enjoy After Darks, great thinking Smile

Quote:
On Jul 10, 2017, ash2arani wrote:
Does the original, Dark Arts, have any advantage over After Dark? In other words, if I own After Dark, is there any reason to get the Dark Arts download?

Besides live footage and a envelope switch I think you wont need BUT imho live uncut footage is needed in After Darks because it's being released as stand alone effect.
Probably it's me who really like to see the timming and see other details.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Thanks Smile I will be picking this up soon and maybe the original as I believe live footage add a lot to the learning of these kinds of effects.
XeonSteel
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of XeonSteel
My good friend Matt has done it once again! I've seen many "peek" effects and they are great but some take a little longer than the others to setup, etc, etc. What I really like about "After Dark", that it is simple but yet convincing for your audience. Using any specific name or object on a personal level. There are no extra items/gimmicks to use or ditch away but just 1 envelope and just utilizing 1 hand/one finger. I like fast, simple and it's SUPER convincing for close up, parlor and even stage! Amazing work as always Matt!! I will also be using "After Dark" again this coming weekend during my performance and possibly get it on camera for you! (if spectators are cool with being on film!) Smile GREAT WORK AGAIN MATT!! I LOVE IT!!

Xeon Steel
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4677 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2017, ash2arani wrote:

Dark Arts covers much more of the performing aspects and subtleties. Although After Dark touches on some of that, it primarily covers the construction and specific handling of Matt's new envelope. It seems to be assumed that you are familiar with the original.

If you have experience with mentalism you probably don't really need Dark Arts, if not you should get both.
But of course any serious performer knows that even gaining one small tip that you may not have thought of on your own is well worth the cost. Besides the obvious fact of not having to reinvent the wheel.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
I just got this and I am in love with the method. It is very practical and flexible. I agree that the appeal of Dark Arts is in the live footage which is why I am planning to pick up the download in the future.

But this is a great workable solution and even better, the gimmick tipped in After Dark can be used for non-peek work. It is also easy to make.

While the price of After Dark is twice that of Dark Arts, it is a very fair price for what you are getting. I know I will be making this up and using it a moment's notice. In fact, I have quite a few ideas of potential uses that go well beyond the standard routine.

I highly recommend this!

Great work Matt Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » After Dark by Matt Johnson (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL