The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » 4-door production cabinet (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Edison
View Profile
New user
Chicago
11 Posts

Profile of Edison
When I stumbled across this deceptively simple production cabinet in 'My Best', attributed to Walter Gibson, I wondered why I hadn't seen one in use. EVER. It employs a classic principal familiar to most magicians. In fact, when I described it to one, he said; 'Oh, like a 4-door Funder box?' YES. Exactly.
I had to make one for myself, which was a bit tricky. The hinges required some rethinking and I devised my own method, which works great.
I still have to apply stain and urethane, I want to show the oak grain.

What I like about this particular cabinet is its smooth operation. It's attached to a lazy susan assembly at the base, and all 4 panels swivel loosely on rod hinges that flip at the corners and comprise the entirety of the cabinet. This enables the magician to show the box 'inside-out' and all around, prior to producing.

Yes, it's angle-sensitive, but in the right setting and executed smoothly, it's quite a stunner.

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/edisongi......0cabinet
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It's known commonly as the Gibson Box. Norm Nielsen made a gorgeous "Okito" style version, and the Café's own George Ledo also made a beautiful version in natural woods.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dr. O
View Profile
Veteran user
NC
395 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
I have one of George's Gibson boxes obtained via Stevens Magic Emporium. Superb!!
DavidMor
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of DavidMor
Edison, delighted to hear you built a Gibson Box. I am thinking of doing the same. How large is yours?
Edison
View Profile
New user
Chicago
11 Posts

Profile of Edison
Quote:
On Jul 12, 2017, DavidMor wrote:
Edison, delighted to hear you built a Gibson Box. I am thinking of doing the same. How large is yours?

@DavidMor: Mine stands a little over 15" tall x 7 1/4" square, including the base.
I had the ball bearing lazy susan mechanism for a while*, intending it for use on this project.
I let the size of that, and the thickness of my oak stock determine the overall scale.
If you're interested in building one I'd be glad to share my own solution for the hinge, which work very smoothly. I'd be interested in comparing mine to another model.

Really, I'm so glad to learn this is not such an obscure or overlooked item. I would love to see photos of other Gibson boxes!

*(it's GREAT living near an American Science and Surplus store! I found 8.5 x 11 jumbo card decks for $9 each)
Edison
View Profile
New user
Chicago
11 Posts

Profile of Edison
.. Well having some key-words did help in googling other Gibson boxes.

Impressive craftsmanship!

Click here to view attached image.
Edison
View Profile
New user
Chicago
11 Posts

Profile of Edison
Beautiful work on these.

Interesting that neither of the other models have knobs on the doors, as in the original drawing found.

I also didn't think them necessary, I found they detract from the simplicity of the design, which is pagoda-like.

I did choose to omit a door on the top of my model. I like the way these look and ultimately may add one to mine.

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Here's the one I made for Stevens Magic a few years ago, on Martin's Magic Collection web site:

https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/st......ge-ledo/

It was a run of 12 pieces, all sold.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Edison
View Profile
New user
Chicago
11 Posts

Profile of Edison
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2017, George Ledo wrote:
Here's the one I made for Stevens Magic a few years ago, on Martin's Magic Collection web site:

https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/st......ge-ledo/

It was a run of 12 pieces, all sold.

Thank you for posting that link, George. I really like the natural finish of your model! Looking at yours, again I'm rethinking adding a lid to mine.
ThunderSqueak
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of ThunderSqueak
This is interesting, I have that book so after reading about it here I had to go look it up Smile. Always find the neatest tricks in old books !

I like how yours turned out Smile

Cheers!
Dr. O
View Profile
Veteran user
NC
395 Posts

Profile of Dr. O
I have one of the 12. Fine craftsmanship George. The natural wood finish make this look like a piece of fine furniture instead of a magic prop.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Thank you. I'm delighted you like it.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Edison
View Profile
New user
Chicago
11 Posts

Profile of Edison
Update:

I did end up fabricating a lid for my Gibson production cabinet. I tried to keep the pagoda feel, using a square oak pull.

I knew I wanted a 2-tone effect, even though it's all red oak stock. I used a Sedona Red & Cherry stain.

Glad I added the lid.

Edison
View Profile
New user
Chicago
11 Posts

Profile of Edison
Edison
View Profile
New user
Chicago
11 Posts

Profile of Edison
Edison
View Profile
New user
Chicago
11 Posts

Profile of Edison
Another view of the closed cabinet;

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Nicely done!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Edison
View Profile
New user
Chicago
11 Posts

Profile of Edison
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2017, Michael Baker wrote:
Nicely done!

Thank you, Michael. I should say, I find your pieces astonishingly beautiful. I've looked elsewhere here, as well as the wares on your site. A classic aesthetic and subtle palette (Okito inspired?). A timeless look, yet uniquely yours.
1Show4U
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of 1Show4U
Edison... well done on that box. Does it rotate off the pedestal? How did you get that piece of wood to arc like that for the concealed side?

M
It's Entertaining!
Edison
View Profile
New user
Chicago
11 Posts

Profile of Edison
Quote:
On Aug 24, 2017, 1Show4U wrote:
Edison... well done on that box. Does it rotate off the pedestal? How did you get that piece of wood to arc like that for the concealed side?

M

Thanks M. The cabinet is permanently attached at the base via lazy-susan on ball bearings, so it rotates very smoothly. I opted out of any vertical column part to the pedestal, which is atypical to the original design. I didn't want it to be top-heavy, nor did I think the column necessary.

For the load can I laminated some sheets of veneer together, bending it around a form for the curve. The rest is thin plywood.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » 4-door production cabinet (15 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL