The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help with Johnson purchase... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jbdeen
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of jbdeen
I am a newbie and while sleights are the ultimate goal, I want a Johnson coin effect to have some instant fun. Johnson seems to be the name in quality gaffed coins (beside custom made sets).

My question is, which Johnson coin set provides the most visual, strongest effects? Secondly, which set is most versatile (i.e. most effects)? Thirdly, which sets (if any) are instantly resettable? I guess that's three questions, but if someone could give me some insight as to where to go on this I'd appreciate it...

I'm considering Scotch and Soda, Hopping Half, Stack of Quarters, Dime and Penny, S/C/B Transposition and $1.35 trick.

BTW, I know there are topics covering these separately, but I'm interested in hearing from folks who have had most of these sets and can COMPARE them as described in the first paragraph.

Thanks guys!

JB
(My first post!)
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
If you get the Hopping Half Set you'll get some other great gadgets with it. Also a copper/silver coin will go a long way.
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
I would recommend Scotch & Soda the Millenium Edition. It's the one that uses the newer Golden Dollar and a newer quarter (the State ones).

Being that the Golden Dollar did not go over well in area, I use that as part of my presentation. I tell the spectators that the Golden Dollar didn't catch on because there is a flaw in the design...and go from there.

I still have an older set (half dollar and Centavo) but I use the newer version more often. The main reason I would suggest this set is that it is versatile. I'm not saying the others are not. I don't own any of the others.

When I bought my first set (the older, naturally) I also picked up a booklet that had 25 effects (I think it was 25, could have been 50) that you can perform with the set. The booklet was $10-15. Granted, you probably won't like every effect, but I'd be willing to bet you could find more than just a couple you be interested in learning. All of it is very easily performed.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse! Smile Smile

Lee
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would have to agree that Hopping Half will also permit you to do Goshman's Sun and Moon from Bobo's Coin Magic Book. The Gaff coins you receive will permit you to do a very large number of tricks.

It comes with a X S**** coin for coins thru table and coins across, as well as assemblies.

A very nice trick. The original coin trick is tops also. Plus, Johnson guarantees them for life. I have taken them up on their offer and they replaced, no questions asked.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I'm a big fan of the Johnson Ultimate Copper & Silver set, and the Magnetic Copper & Silver set. Both use unexpanded shells and milled coins, instead of E]'s and standard coins. The Ultimate set is not instantly resettable, but the magnetic set is. Look at my website (link below), on the review and free trick pages to see a bit more detail on the Ultimate C/S set.

I'm going to be very unpopular after this next comment, but here goes anyway... It's my opinion that the hopping half routine tips any savy spectator to the gaff. "How'd all those coins get there?" "And how do they keep coming back..." Well, umm, der, there must be something going on involving shells or fake coins. Not every one knows about shells, but a lot of people do, or they suspect. It's true that the set comes with lots of goodies to use in other ways, but doing the stock HH routine just simply screams... GAFF, GIMMICK, FAKE!

Copper and silver routines, again, in my opinion, don't give the spectator anywhere to go... two coins, one here, one there, then they switch, they vanish, they reappear, and now they can be examined. Although, a bazzilion variations on that basic premise exist, so an endless number of routines are possible.

Outside of Johnson's, if you want a great, resettable, easy to do, and visual effect, get yourself a half dollar, a quarter, and an Eddie Gibson Coin Unique (US version). There's some very confounding and entertaining possibilities there.

And now I stand, cigarette in mouth, blindfold on, awaiting the firing squad of Hopping Half fans to exact their retribution... Smile

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Justin Craddock
View Profile
Regular user
buffalo,ny
127 Posts

Profile of Justin Craddock
Personally I would go with the copper, silver, brass transposition, it is a great effect and keeps the audience interested.
"When a performance is over, What remains"
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
I partly agree with WildStone: the HH must have a very strong presentation, otherwise it's ... just fooling specs, and they are the stupid ones on this. But if presentation and story is superb it's a strong trick! I myself have HH, but still in the drawer due to the lack of THAT STRONG story. But for what you get from Johnson when buying this HH set, you won't be disappointed! Get two extra chinese coins (the brass/black ones) and you can easily make your own CSB-Gimmick; it's soooo easy.

S&S is good - also Coin Unique. But important (well, I'm not a coin sleight purist) is a exp. e] and a c/s-coin. Good luck.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Hey Bernd:

I just got a package from the magic warehouse this morning that included one of your "M" cards... nice work, and very reasonably priced! I'm playing with it, and my Johnson Mag C/S set as I'm typing this... Thanks to you I just improved one of my standard coin / card routines about 100 fold. Thanks man.

I'll definitely keep you in mind for future card gaff needs.

Best,

Mike

CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
@Mike,

get a shim card too! When you have a mag***** coin, you'll discover penetrations as fair as possible.
Think of it. And don't hesitate to contact me for custom gaffs...
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I would suggest Hopping Halfs.

In addition I would suggest comming up with your own ideas using the parts(or part) of the set.

E.S. and sun/moon(c/s) coins are great utility items.

Enjoy the journey.

Happy HOYC.

Holiday of your choice.

Just my two E.S.... worth

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I'm with the majority Hopping Halves...
jbdeen
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of jbdeen
Wildstone,

What's the difference between Ultimate C/S and S/C/B Transpo? If I bought Ult. C/S can I add a normal "B" coin to do the S/C/B Transpo?

Is SCB instantly resettable? Examinable before the routine?

For that matter are any of Johnson's sets examinable before the routine?

Thanks again, you all have been very helpful.

JB
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Ult. Copper & Silver is a three piece copper/silver set, like a scotch-n-soda, but different in that you get a machined copper that fits under the unexpanded shell, which opens the doors for a lot more in hand transposition type effects than when using S-n-S, where the copper does not fit under the shell.

You could add a Chinese coin to the Ult. C/S set, and you have a CSB set, of sorts. Similar to the type that Reed and Curtis use, but nothing like the gaff CSB set the Johnson sells. Basically, take a C/S, a chinese coin, and a half dollar, and you've got a CSB, again, of sorts. I'd personally prefer the Johnson / Lassen gaff concept, and my own personal customizations to it.

Any effect is examinable before and after a routine, if you want it to be. Think Util. switches and shuttle passes. The Johnson Ult. C/S & CSB are examinable before and after without much fuss... you just need to routine it the right way. Why do you want to hand out your props?? You can show the legitimacy of coins without passing them around the room. Sometimes it helps a routine to do so, but usually it only causes you to lose, and then have to regain crowd control.

Rule of Thumb #1 - only pass out props when it benefits you and your routines, never do it to squelch sceptics. Find other ways to do that.

Best,

Mike

jbdeen
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of jbdeen
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I couldn't decide, so of course I got both the Ult. C/S and the S/C/B Transpo (dang it!).

Also ordered me a copy of Bobo's... Smile
rayg1952
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of rayg1952
Can any one tell me, I do have Johnsons Hopping Halfs, but not Copper, Silver & Brass if I buy one Johnsons Regular Chinese Coin can I do Copper, Silver & Brass routine with some of the Johnsons Hopping Halfs coins.
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
I've searched on the net for Johnson's homepage, does that exist or ever exist? I'm sure it'd be cheaper buying directly from them, that's why I'm curious. Thanks much,
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Justin,

Call Kathy at Johnsons - 626-445-1411. She'll be able to help you.

Rayg1952 - You'd be able to do some variations of CSB if you bought a chinese coin, but you would not have that special something that you get when you buy the Johnson CSB set. Honestly, you can do CSB routines with a C/S, a copper coin and a brass coin. However, the CSB gaff allows for some truly amazing looking transpos.

Best,

Mike

Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-04-08 23:14, leefoley3 wrote:
I would recommend Scotch & Soda the Millenium Edition. It's the one that uses the newer Golden Dollar and a newer quarter (the State ones).

Being that the Golden Dollar did not go over well in area, I use that as part of my presentation. I tell the spectators that the Golden Dollar didn't catch on because there is a flaw in the design...and go from there.

I still have an older set (half dollar and Centavo) but I use the newer version more often. The main reason I would suggest this set is that it is versatile. I'm not saying the others are not. I don't own any of the others.

When I bought my first set (the older, naturally) I also picked up a booklet that had 25 effects (I think it was 25, could have been 50) that you can perform with the set. The booklet was $10-15. Granted, you probably won't like every effect, but I'd be willing to bet you could find more than just a couple you be interested in learning. All of it is very easily performed.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse! Smile Smile

Lee

That is also known as "Vodka and Orange Juice"
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
The best prices I've found on Johnson's products are at themagicwarehouse.com. The service has been excellent has well.

http://themagicwarehouse.com/johnson.html#jo1402
rayg1952
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of rayg1952
Thank you all for your help, one more thing and this is off topic why is there lot of repeating post
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help with Johnson purchase... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL