The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help with Johnson purchase... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "The best prices I've found on Johnson's products are at themagicwarehouse.com. The service has been excellent has well"

Agreed. However many of the real siver Johnson gaffs are not wholesaled to dealers anymore due to low demand / sales. Examples are the walking liberty ^coin, and the Ultimate Copper & Silver, also the walking lib model. Johnson will sell these items direct to end-users, on a made to order basis. Prices are very reasonable.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
Jbdeen, I see you've already ordered the Ultimate C/S and the S/C/B Set, which should keep you busy for a while.

My suggestion for your next purchase is the Dime & Penny Set, which you did mention in your original post. I like it because it's relatively inexpensive (about $15 for Johnson's version, which includes a bang ring), and it uses coins that are very common, which helps to prevent the "grabbies."

Using Chinese coins, English Pennies and Centavos may seem cute or mysterious to magicians, but don't forget that most people have never seen an English Penny, and certainly not a Johnson "Chinese" coin. If one advantage of coin magic is that it uses common everyday objects, why lose that advantage by using odd or unusual coins? Anyway, that's my two cents (no pun intended). SETH

One more thought: gaffed coins aren't an "either-or" situation. In other words, don't assume that your only choices are 1) performing sleights with real money or 2) using gaffed coins instead of sleights.

Gaffed coins can be very helpful in simplifying the method of an effect. But the combination of gaffed coins and sleights is even better: you can switch your gaffs in and out indetectibly, cause coins to transform into other items, and so on. For example, by adding a sleight or two to a Dime & Penny set, you can cause the dime to penetrate a spectator's hand, then hand both coins out for examination.

So enjoy your "instant fun," but don't neglect those sleights! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1017 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
One other Johnson coin set that is often overlooked is the Visible Coin Penetration..a very dramatic effect. This and the Hopping Half are my two favorites.
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
I agree with the compliments given to themagicwarehouse in this thread for their low prices on Johnson Products (JP). I like their prices and service in general. I noticed today a huge price jump on some of their JPs. They still may be the best. Are JP wholesale costs going up?
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
160 Posts

Profile of Almost-A-Magician
Question for those that have the Johnson Magnetic c/s set.

The c/s insert to the [...on the c side, mine has a slightly visible metalic spot in the middle, that I assume is the m*******. It is small but noticable.

Is that normal? or a quility issue?
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Your's Johnson? I'd like to know where to buy a Johnson magn Cu/Ag and if a Johnson-quality Cu/Ag comes with a 20 Centavos rather than English Penny?
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
RE: "Question for those that have the Johnson Magnetic c/s set.

The c/s insert to the [...on the c side, mine has a slightly visible metalic spot in the middle, that I assume is the m*******. It is small but noticable.

Is that normal? or a quility issue? "

I have two of the Mag. C/S sets, neither of which has a metalic spot on the insert. I'm guessing that you may have a QC issue there.

One defect that the Mag. C/S set does have that is expected, is a slight buldge in the shimmed penny, the shape of circular shim material. Can only be seen if the light hits it just right. It's not an issue, but you're post reminded of it.

Best,

Mike

Is everyone with a Mag set looking at the shimmed penny yet? Smile
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Help with Johnson purchase... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL