The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » I've Been Asked to Perform Next Week (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
big k
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of big k
I've been asked to perform in one week. (April 8, 04 is when I started this thread).
Here's what I have:

1.) Ellusionist videos (PM me about the videos; don't want to get in a conversation about Ellusionist, because this will be another Ellusionist bashing thread).

2.) Banachek Silverware.

3.) Raven (don't want to deal with set up)

4.) Invisible Thread (again set up I don't want to deal with).

5.) Pen-thru dollar.

6.) Coin bite (50 cent piece).

7.) Healed and sealed (not planning to do this because I'll be inside a building).

8.) Banachek's PK pen.

I know I have more items but I can't really think of them right now.

So like I've said, I've been asked to perform in about one week, and I really don't think that's enough time. I pretty much being in a setting that I will go to people or people will come to me, not like a stage show kind of thing.

What's your thoughts on this?

Thank you.

big k
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
Big K,

My view has always been if I don't feel prepared to do a show I don't book it. A week is a short time to prepare a show. Do you perform on a regular basis?

Seth
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
That isn't a list of effects; it's a list of props.

Think of what you could do with the PK pen. You could tell a story around it that lasts three or four minutes before you actually start the 'effect'. Also think of some effects that require nothing.
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
If I only had gimmicked effects, I would say, "No thanks, I'm flattered, but I'm not ready to perform yet."
ashah
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of ashah
The performance would be a great opportunity to get experience doing effects for real people. But if you don't already know what effects you are able to perform smoothly, a week is not enough time. I don't feel confident with effects until I have practiced them enough that they are second nature. That way, when you perform for people who come up to you, you will not be worrying about remembering methods; rather, you can concentrate on entertaining the audience. It might be best to turn down the offer if you don't have effects that you know you can execute well.
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Where have you been asked to perform?
Is it a paid gig?
Is it practise?
Who is the audience?
How large is the audience?
How comfortable do you feel in front of this audience?
How comfortable are you with your effects?
How comfortable are you with your presentation?
Can you do your routine with the confidence to not expose the workings of the effects?
What are the benefits of saying yes?
What are the disadvantages of saying yes?

In your post, you suggest that some effects will not be suitable. By your tally, you leave Banachek silverware, Banachek pen, 50 cent piece and pen through dollar as possibities for performance.

I'm not sure what you have learned from the videos so I can't comment. Sorry.

The four items above cover a fairly wide cross-section of magic performance. It might be difficult to theme them in a way that gives your character any consistency, though I can see that they all have a "WOW" factor which is probably why they appealed to you for purchase.

If you are just going to show a few things casually, others will remember your performance. Is this the impression that you want to leave?
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Eric Woods
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
115 Posts

Profile of Eric Woods
If you know these effects and have already mastered them, go for it. It sounds to me that these are items that you plan to get started on for this event, though. If that is the case, you will do a great injustice to yourself by taking this gig. To get better help let us know more.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
So like I've said, I've been asked to perform in about one week, and I really don't think that's enough time. I pretty much being in a setting that I will go to people or people will come to me, not like a stage show kind of thing.

Sounds like walk-about to me. Stuff the props you just need confidence; some times you have to pretend you're confident. If you have got/there confidence you could convince them your a master with a thumb tip and 101 stunts. My one tip is keep moving (at this stage) and if it is a whole-day tacke breaks, be in control, if you don't think you can then.

"Don't do it, put the Gun down."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Since you have not responded I assume you are practicing?

Seriously... lay out the tricks/props you are most familiar with on a bed.

Pick each one up and work on it.

Less is more... don't try to do too much. If walk around you can get by with three or four items and just move from group to group.

If you don't think you can handle it... DON'T DO IT.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
big k
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of big k
I think I can handle it. I've also tried cancelling it. But they won't let me, so it looks like I'm stuck.

Oh, by the way they're not all gimmicks. I don't know why you thought they were gimmicks. Anyway, I guess I'll practice. I got no other choice. And to be honest with you guys I really don't feel I am ready for this, but I got to do it. I know the effects and I can do them any time, but I'm pretty sure I need to fresh in up on the effects.

Do I perform on a regular bases? Nope, I might do a trick once a day, but it's mainly I don't do any the whole day. (Mainly because I'm nervous, and I don't want to get caught.)

big k
Mr. Ed
View Profile
Veteran user
California
337 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ed
You can always cancel. I don't think you should do this gig. If you do, you will be nervous unpolished and leave a negative impression of magic on your audience. When is the gig? Can you find someone to fill in for you. What area are you in? Maybe someone here will help you out.
He who laughs, lasts.
big k
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of big k
Well I have to do it. They won't let me out of it.

*sigh* I hope I do good.

Quote:
On 2004-04-09 03:05, SethHoward wrote:

Big K,

My view has always been if I don't feel prepared to do a show I don't book it. A week is a short time to prepare a show. Do you perform on a regular basis?

Seth

Believe it or not, I didn't book it. The person who booked it has known for quite some time that I do magic. Then suddenly the person has me book this whole year for this show, and then tells me one week before I have to do the show. It made me mad at first. But like I've said this whole time, I'm stuck.

big k
x303
View Profile
New user
St-Hubert, Quebec, Canada.
74 Posts

Profile of x303
Well, how did it go?

Bob
big k
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of big k
What I did:

1.) cards tricks.

2.) Banachek silverware:
This was really good. I had a table out, and I had at least 20 people surrounding the whole table. I had to get up from my seat because I had so many people wanting to see. I had one person even screaming after they saw one of the silverware bend.

3.) I did the coin bite.

4.) Pen-through dollar:
I had a lot of request for that trick. Specially when I borrow the bill and then stab it and rip it out and no hole.

5.) Balducci. I did the self levitation once. But since it was exposed on TV, every one knows how it's done. I don't even know why I even bother with this trick.

6.) The pass: I did this one a lot. In fact no one can see it. I actually had people testing me and saying this my deck was a fake deck (Talley Ho deck I was using), and so I hand them the cards to look at, and then I tell them to take out any card and place it in the middle. Boom, then card is on top. I can do it five times on a row and no one will see the move. After I do the trick I tell them that "they do actually do this in Las Vegas and rip people off with this move. Like I can bet you 100 bucks and you WILL LOSe every time."

And that's pretty much what happened. I had a lot of fun.

big k
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
You just did the pass over and over again. LOL
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Rofl, that's what you get from listening to Ellusionist.

Oh well, at least it was a one-time gig.
big k
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of big k
Ellusionist? How did you know I buy magic from them?

big k
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Big K,

Forget it if you're not ready. Give it to a magician that can do our art justice. There will be other shows to come along, and you will be ready by then.

Also, forget Ellusionist!
Daniel Faith
Ember
View Profile
Regular user
London
121 Posts

Profile of Ember
Big K

We are not psychic, your first post stated you bought Ellusionist videos.
big k
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of big k
Oh, duh, never mind. LOL

By the way, what's wrong with ellusionist? I find that their videos are well worth the price because of the quality of their videos. I mean they are the ones that got me my first magic video.

quote:

Forget it if you're not ready. Give it to a magician that can do our art justice. There will be other shows to come along, and you will be ready by then.
-----
You see I wasn't ready, but as you can see I did the show anyway.

big k
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » I've Been Asked to Perform Next Week (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL