The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » I've Been Asked to Perform Next Week (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Were you well paid?

Do they want to re-book you for another show?

Did anyone else ask to hire you?

Were you REALLY comfortable or nervous?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
big k
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of big k
I was not really nervous. I did a show last year, and then they wanted me to do another show this year. I didn't get paid; I just did it for fun. (Man, I wished I got paid, I'l look into brusking or some thing).

Man, I wished I could just ask "May I have a tip?", but to me that sounds rude.
Do thhey want to book me for another show?
I have a feeling they might want me next year. (I really don't know.)

big k
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Quote:
I think I can handle it. I've also tried cancelling it. But they won't let me, so it looks like I'm stuck.

Quote:
I didn't get paid I just did it for fun.

Wow, you're being forced into working for fun. I would seriously re-evaluate yourself in terms of magic.

Big k, it sounds like you have had no direction so far. I want to give you one piece of advice:

Go to a club or a close town and find a mentor!

It sounds like you have a bunch of tricks that aren't routined together or have good patter. The fact that you listen to ellusionist and do the pass as an effect are big signs that you need to grow up on a magic level.

You should get paid if they are telling you that you can't cancel.

It's not your fault if you haven't known other magicians or much before, but from the moment you read this, PLEASE take the advice of other magicians! And please seek out a mentor that you can talk with.

There are many things wrong with the way you are approaching not only your magic, but the business side of things, and also how you are maturing as a magician.

I really don't know all what you're into and things, but from all your post it sounds like you need major help from another more knowledgable magician.

-MacGyver

P.S. In no way consider myself qualified to help, but in any case, if you ever want to talk about anything magic related, please PM me or someone else before going out to do any more free shows.
big k
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of big k
I really don't feel the need for a routine. I don't even know what a patter is! Anyway, I've been into magic for about two years now. This may sound stupid, but isn't a mentor a person to guide your through life (or magician this case)? If so I don't even know any magicians around my area.

About the growing up on a magic level, I don't understand. (Oh man do I feel so stupid right now.) *sigh* I sure do feel stupid. Great now it's driving me nuts!

big k
symbolmike
View Profile
New user
McAllen, Texas
4 Posts

Profile of symbolmike
Glad you got through it big k. Now the best thing to do is learn from that experience. That will be a lesson. Don't feel stupid one bit. We live and we learn. I give you credit for at least going out there and giving it your all. So we have to pull the positive out of this rather than the negative. If we do pull the negative out of this whole experience, then we need to see how we can turn it into a positive.

By that show you did, you should have found out a few things that will drastically help improve you as a magician; you just have to evaluate the situation.

What effects did you do that the audience enjoyed? Can you make them better? What effects didn't the audience enjoy? Can you change them to make them suit you and also entertain your audience?

Did you learn about angles (where the spectators positions were)?

What did they think of you as a magician? Your character, your style?

Those are just a small few of the questions that you want to ask yourself and maybe write down and solve them like a math puzzle. What effects that you know about could have also been performed in that situation and would fit your style?

Again, take this as a lesson learn and turn all the negatives into positives. Turn all these negatives into motivation and inspiration for you to strive to become better, perform quality magic and become the ultimate you!

Best of luck on your magical journey.
______
Don't feel stupid about anything! Never feel stupid!

We all started from the same "nowhere". I came into this art with the same questions you are putting forth! What was patter?

Although it is nice to have a mentor to meet face to face, unfortunately I do not have one. So I turn to the forums for help and guidance. Find someone here or wherever that inspires you and seems helpful to others. When you have a question ask them; you will quickly know if they want to help you.

I think we all came to know what we know by reading, watching and most of all asking questions.

Take Care.

As Always. In Magic.
Your Friend,
Mike
Mike Delbert
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
627 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Big K,

Don't feel stupid. When I first started doing magic, I did some tricks that now make me look back and shudder. You learn as you go, everyone starts as a beginner. As far as doing shows I think that the book The Magic of Michael Ammar is a great book as far as essays, and magic as a business go(but then again, it's one of the few books I have). Mentors are great....You can even have a mentor online. The amount of material for someone new to magic to wade through is staggering and a mentor can provide you with help as far as what to study, etc. A year from now you will look back and laugh about many of the experiences you have now.

Best Wishes,

Jordan B
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
My first shows sucked to high heavens, but I also went on to dust myself off and move on. Keep on plugging at it guy. You'll make it!! Take it from Daffy Doug!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
big k
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of big k
Yeah, you guys are right. I feel much better now. Smile

big k
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » I've Been Asked to Perform Next Week (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL