The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fun Sci Fi Site to Explore (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5471 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Found myself spending the morning on this odd little site. As a designer I was interested in the typography mentions, but the stories are much more interesting than that. I hope you like...

https://typesetinthefuture.com
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1199 Posts

Profile of imgic
That was some interesting stuff. Thanks for posting
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
P.K. Dick was a genius. Ridley Scott is an arrogant jackwagon. Deckard is human. Period.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1199 Posts

Profile of imgic
Deckard was a replicant.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5471 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
And so it goes. This question regarding Deckard may never be answered...which is cool by me. Keep it a mystery.

Deeper into the sci-fi void, P.K. Dick, like Gene Roddenberry, were visionaries I think. P. K. Dick's future will probably be part of our future I'm guessing, though probably late in coming according to the films' timelines. But synthetic beings going off-world? I think we could probably imagine this being a real scenario relatively soon, whether we agree with the moral implications or not.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2017, imgic wrote:
Deckard was a replicant.

My question on this is; if Deckard was a replicant, how could he be an "ex-police officer" who has to be coaxed into taking on "one more case."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner

If he was a replicant and his length of duty was done, why wasn't HE "retired" the way he "retired" other replicants? Why was he still alive?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5471 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Perhaps they are programmable? He was not retired, he was reassigned?

I also look back on sci-fi timelines and am blown away by how hopeful post industrial revolution society was of the future, and the accelerated timeline they assigned for our world's advancement. I remember feeling the optimism as a youth in the '60s. I think everyone thought that 2000 would be the new age of enlightenment and technology, where the turbulence and war of the first half of hte 20th century would be left far behind.

Just look at your wikipedia link as an example...Philip K. Dick wrote his novel in 1968 about a dystopian future of 2019. It is now 2017 and aside from advancements in healthcare, transportation, and the evolution of computers and communication, the world looks and feels pretty much the same. No flying cars. No replicants. No off-world colonies. Perhaps by 2219 at the rate we're going.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
The point of Deckard vs replicants is that he is suffering an internal moral dilemma arising not from the question whether he himself is a replicant, rather whether the replicants--having been given the requisite human traits--have become human.

In other words, Deckard is a human who may be a replicant, and the replicants are replicants who may be human. His job is to terminate them, but it feels more and more like murder to him. Tension ensues.

That's the story as I have always understood it.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
He's Dick's character, and Dick said he was human.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1140 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
As a "hot metal" compositor and typesetter by trade, I thank you for this interesting link ...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jul 21, 2017, imgic wrote:
Deckard was a replicant.

His wife didn't think so. But using a machine to tell if the other person is a slave is ...sad.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5471 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2017, wulfiesmith wrote:
As a "hot metal" compositor and typesetter by trade, I thank you for this interesting link ...

That's awesome!!! Glad to see that this art is still alive.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:

So either he's human or else Dick's a liar.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I admit, it does seem rather odd to say that he's not a replicant because his (human) creator said so.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

It gets even more interesting when you look at the novel of that name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bladerunner

See the ending of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czRsltWGhw0

"well, so it's mechanical"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 23, 2017, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:

So either he's human or else Dick's a liar.

Did P.K.Dick play the unreliable narrator game in his other stories?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
But no one has addressed my point: Nexus Six replicants (in the movie) are human.

I could give many examples, but the best is when Deckard says about Rachel, "She doesn't know."

If you don't know that you aren't human, the you are.

Let's put it another way: a human being is someone who claims to be a human being.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2017, stoneunhinged wrote:
But no one has addressed my point: Nexus Six replicants (in the movie) are human.

I could give many examples, but the best is when Deckard says about Rachel, "She doesn't know."

If you don't know that you aren't human, the you are.

My goldfish doesn't know that it isn't human.

Quote:
Let's put it another way: a human being is someone who claims to be a human being.

Has that philosophy been extended species-wide already? I guess in the 21st century, if you call a tail a leg, then a cow has five legs.

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2017, LobowolfXXX wrote:
My goldfish doesn't know that it isn't human.

Go ask it and get back to me.

But seriously, Lobo, it sounds like you're arguing a point with me, and not the movie. I'm not sayingwhat I myself think about the nature of humanness; I saying that I interpret the movie to be expressing the idea of humanness as a claim.

Pris says, "I think, Sebastian, therefore I am." So she is. Is what? She's claiming equality with conscious, memory-holding human beings.

I myself do *not* think that memory is the one attribute that distinguishes human beings from other living beings; nor do I assume anything hierarchical about the claim to being human. But I think the movie is saying that.

And a confession: I haven't read Dick's story in thirty years. I guess I should return to it.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2754 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 23, 2017, wulfiesmith wrote:

I used to be a photo-typesetter, Compuwritwr IV, CRTronic before moving up to a Power Mac. This is fascinating stuff.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fun Sci Fi Site to Explore (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL