The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fun Sci Fi Site to Explore (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2017, stoneunhinged wrote:
But no one has addressed my point: Nexus Six replicants (in the movie) are human.
... a human being is someone who claims to be a human being.

In what sense? Can they mate with humans and produce viable children? Have they discerned a distinction between what we call "human and not"? Recall the "implanted memories" part of the movie - what if you have a dozen of them with the same memories - are they all Napoleon? See Peter Watts book Blindsight for some more scary questions.

And that's not even playing the race card. Smile Nice visuals and sound track though.

IMHO the movie "Moon" took a better shot at bringing the question to the audience. And that question was raised long ago in the play "R. U. R." - just what distinguishes what we perceive as "people" from "things".
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Getting back to the OP and that site:
https://typesetinthefuture.com/about/
https://twitter.com/daveaddey
Great place for appreciation of font design and storytelling in films. A resource.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5473 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Thanks Jonathan. I appreciate the nod, although I don't regret the turn this post has taken. Bladerunner is still on my Top 10 "If I was stranded on an island flicks," so the discussions have me glued.

Wondering if the long awaited sequel will hold any answers? God, I hope it doesn't suck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJtZYCv7AxA
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Word is it's about two and a half hour long and Edward James Olmos (Gaff) will appear. Here's hoping for something better than a CGI demo.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I've read a few reviews of the sequel, and apparently the driving question in the new film is whether Deckard is gay.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2017, stoneunhinged wrote:
I've read a few reviews of the sequel, and apparently the driving question in the new film is whether Deckard is gay.

If this is a joke, it's kind of funny.

If it's not, it's hilarious.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fun Sci Fi Site to Explore (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL