The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Triad Coins - Joshua Jay - a Magic Portal review (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
Triad Coins – Joshua Jay
$59.95
http://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=56052

The Hype:
Imagine what it would look like if you could REALLY vanish coins into thin air. Then watch this trailer. THIS is how it would look. No funny moves. No fast motion. No camera edits. You roll back your sleeves. You show three coins. One by one, they just... disappear. Triad Coins is a revelation in coin magic.

Triad Coins is a double-shell and coin system that allows you to produce, vanish, or change three half dollars at will. You can show BOTH hands entirely empty after the last vanish, and perform the effect in short sleeves. Joshua Jay has honed this miracle over a ten-year period, and the result is an elegant, smooth, and extremely deceptive routine, possible ONLY with Triad Coins.

If you have ever seen Joshua Jay lecture, this is the trick he closes with. Long available ONLY through Joshua Jay directly, Vanishing Inc. Magic is proud to release Triad Coins to the world of magicians.

Handling is easy
5 routines included
Each set is precision-made by hand
Comes in a protective storage unit to protect the set

My Take:
I have had the pleasure of watching Joshua Jay grow from a talented young man into an even more talented adult. He and Andi Gladwin have built their company, Vanishing Inc., into an enterprise with an impeccable reputation. If you see Vanishing Inc. on a product, you know you are getting great quality just because they will not put their name on a product that is less than superb. Triad Coins falls comfortably into that category.

The first thing that I noticed (and I absolutely love this!) is the packaging. Your coin set comes in a sturdy plastic case about the size of a Bridge card. This case will never open on its own allowing you to lose or damage your coins. In fact, you have to use a coin to lever it open. It is the perfect size to put into your pocket to carry around.

The coins themselves are beautifully made so both shells will nest on the genuine coin. You can even do coin rolls with the set nested. And the set comes in U.S., Euro and UK gimmicks so the British and Europeans can perform this with having to use American coins.

When I saw this set, my first thought was Chris Kenner's Three Fly routine but Josh has given it a twist. You start out with empty hands and three coins appear. one by one. Then they vanish the same way. And you end totally clean. A vanish is used that is regularly taught in Josh's lectures and is also taught in detail here .It allows a total vanish of a coin and your hands are both shown empty. In fact, your spectator can examine your hands and find nothing. I have always enjoyed seeing Josh perform this. It is a beautiful move.

The quality of the gaffs is excellent, as I would expect them to be. They nest and un-nest easily with no hang. I will be the first to admit that I am not a coin guy and I had no problems getting this into a working routine. It will take those of you who are not used to performing with coins a little while to become comfortable with the set but this is a routine that each and every one of you should be able to add to your repertoire.

I did notice that Josh didn't mention who made the gaffs. I figured it was Tango or Johnson but wasn't sure so I emailed him. He was kind enough to respond promptly and told me that each set is "hand made with care" by a close friend of his who wishes to remain anonymous. He did an outstanding job on these. And Josh says he does custom coin work, too, such as sets with specific dates. If interested, contact Vanishing Inc.

As with just about everything Josh touches, this rates five stars. If you are a newbie or full time coin pro, this set deserves to be in your case. And, since Josh's friend does custom work, I am pretty sure that Vanishing Inc. will be coming up with some new innovations in coin magic.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Performed this at my restaurant gigs this week and got some great reactions.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Carry this with me all the time.

I even wear a watch with a twist of flex band.
(if you know what I mean)

Fist time I did it after practicing for a while,

I did it for my wife and she said where did the coins go?

So I know I had a winner.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Has the quality of the coins improved? I read some reviews that were not so complimentary.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Well you should not drop them, like any coin set.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
415 Posts

Profile of MitchC
My set is 'out for delivery' ! Will comment more when they arrive.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Mine are perfect.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of MitchC
Mine just arrived and they are VERY, VERY nice indeed. Money well spent IMO. Now....off to practice. Can't wait to test on the wife and daughter.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Walmart has the watch you are looking for and they will take links out of band if it's to big.

They have em for $10 but I would get a $30 one.
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of MitchC
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2017, Neznarf wrote:
Walmart has the watch you are looking for and they will take links out of band if it's to big.

They have em for $10 but I would get a $30 one.

Yes. I have never worn a watch but am now shopping for a 'throw-away' cheapie that'll do the dirty work.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I wear a Fitbit Flex. It's a fitness watch that tracks your steps. Big wide band that works perfectly.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
gowenmagic
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of gowenmagic
I use this like crazy, 10/5 stars.
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of MitchC
Ditto ! Picked up a watch, practiced a bit and this is going over like CRAZY ! Love it. Well worth the 'coin' (pun intended)
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I am going to try one on next time I go to a place that sell them
and give it a try.

Thanks for the tip>.

MMM I wear a Fitbit Flex. It's a fitness watch that tracks your steps. Big wide band that works perfectly.
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
I will have the opportunity to stay a few nights with Mickey Silver and his wife in October. Think I will get me a little tutoring on this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Triad Coins - Joshua Jay - a Magic Portal review (15 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL