The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » NYC vs Lobo (NOT FOR EITHER PLAYER) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5019 Posts

Profile of landmark
I don't get Lobo's 8...c6 move at all. Why? Doesn't he need his knight there? For the Queen to escape the pin?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
As you know, I ain't no chess player, so I couldn't really understand your question. I had to look up what a "pin" was. LOL!

Anyway, I got into the habit of running this game through the chess.com analyzer after every exchange of moves. Then, using something called "Jerry" (which is just a machine that runs the Stockfish engine), I let the computer (i.e., Stockfish) play out the rest of the game. White consistently wins, basically with black's attrition of material. But the last two moves posted have changed something in the Stockfish engine's paying out of the game. White still wins, but only with a king and a rook.

It's very interesting that the last couple of moves have drastically changed the potential outcome.

Kind of exciting, huh?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The position looks equal to me after 8...c6. I think that Lobo's point is that the N is not well placed on c6 and it has nowhere useful to go from there. You can see in the game continuation, that Lobo's Q is very well placed on d6, and influences both sides of the board. Also, his B on g6 slices the board. NYC's job is to stuff up Lobo's bishop, and to find a secure outpost for his N.

My question right now for both players is the same: where will your King find safety?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
A few more moves have gone by.

1.Nc3 d5
2.e4 dxe4
3.Nxe4 Bf5
4.Ng3 Bg6
5.d4 e6
6.Nf3 Nf6
7.Ne5 Bd6
8.Bg5 c6
9.c3 Qb6
10.Nc4 Qc7
11.Nxd6 Qxd6
12.h4 h6
13.Bxf6 gxf6
14.h5

Lobo's bishop is getting pushed around. It still controls the long diagonal, but it run the risk of being entombed later in the game. White has the freer game, but black is not lost by any means. But he is looking a bit uncomfortable for the time being.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » NYC vs Lobo (NOT FOR EITHER PLAYER) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL