The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Anyone know how to age scotch tape? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
Does anyone know how to get scotch tape to look old and brown? I have some board games from my childhood with the box repaired with tape 20-30 years ago, and it looks very dark. That's what I want to achieve.

Thanks in advance!
CHRousseau
View Profile
Regular user
Registered Lurker from Lakewood WA
120 Posts

Profile of CHRousseau
I will give you two possibilities, neither very convenient but they pass the 'prop' test from a foot or two away.

1. Actually harvest old tape--I used to be able to find a lot more of this in decent quantities (A) on the backs of large old picture frames in non-profit thrift stores or yard sales or (B) old family scrap books or photo albums (I mean the type that were pre-selfstick sheets which make a different kind of age stain) at yard sales or (C) My third source was old discarded library books which my local library was giving away for free; this was a great source of tape and tape-stained paper which I could re-purpose.

I use white glue to remount the old tape and if it does not have enough brown staining to transfer to your paper or card stock, I use a small piece torn from an old foam paint roller or kitchen sponge to apply a very light stamping of wood stain where the tape will be mounted. You don't want much, so sometimes stamp a second piece of scrap paper first so your foam just leaves a little echo stain. Let that surface dry completely before gluing you tape down.

2. More of a pain but you have more control over the sizes of the pieces: craft stores like Michael's, Hobby Lobby and Artco have sheet rolls of transparent 'basket film' in various translucent shades for wrapping gift baskets full of fruit and other goodies. I don't know if this stuff is seasonal in any way, but I found a yellowy-brown version at Michael's which could be cut in strips and even serrated at the ends with a real tape dispenser. A lot of this stuff is heat sensitive and meant to be shrunk-wrapped with a mild heat gun to snug up the baskets when finished, so you might want to be careful if your intended use will be near any heat source; again, you probably need to pre-stain your paper stock. I have always used wood stain from my workbench, but Tim Holz has some very nice distressed inks for sale in the scrapbooking sections of the craft stores that might also give you the effect you want.

If you don't think these will work for your specific application, PM me with more details of what you are trying to do and I might find someone more knowledgeable than myself to make some suggestions. Give a link to any photos of your attempts with this. Thanks,

Best,
Charlie
Lakewood WA
Arthur C Clarke was mistaken--Magic has always been the most advanced form of technology.
Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
Thanks Charlie, I'm heading to the thrift store today to look at pictures.
Tzaddi93
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Tzaddi93
Whisky!
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Those are some great ideas. However, if I spent the time doing that I would need some of Tzaddi93's stuff. Easier to just say, "The tape was so old it finaly let loose so I had to tape it back on myself. If they believe the magic they will believe the tape excuse.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
661 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
Hmmm... good question. Maybe try yellowing the sticky side (or top side) with stain or watercolor. Then when it's dry adhere a layer of double side scotch tape to the underside so it will still adhere.
Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
Great answers all. Thanks much
bud.scott
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of bud.scott
Time machine
Dabbler in the Esoteric
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI,VIII
Order of the Hexidic
North West Gathering of the Dark Magi II,III,IV,V
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Anyone know how to age scotch tape? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL