The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » PW or NW? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
I've decided to sell all of my belongings, move deep into the heart of the Canadian wilderness, and write- 'The quick brown fox etc.' one hundred thousand bazillion times.

The question is with which-The PW/Derringer or the NW/Swami...

Friends' opinions with Practical experience would be appreciated.

django
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Both definitely have their unique place. You may wish to check out John Riggs's latest DVD "Secret Writings" which covers PW, NW and DW techniques and effects, then decide what suits you and your program.

MS
A_Blake
View Profile
Loyal user
The Thoughtreader
216 Posts

Profile of A_Blake
Django...

I do quite a bit of PW & NW and have my preferences... for PW I have used Andy's "Derringer's" for quite some time... I prefer the RT model and have them both in black as well as blue ink... For NW I used to use the Dalal C-Type Swami's but got tired of losing them, keeping my thumbnail long and after a while using them can be, quite literally, a pain... so, I've switched to using the new Vernet TT-Swami's which are fantastic... I always have a pair on me (both in lead and listo) and they work beautifully every time -- I don't lose them, my nails are now always trimmed and the undernail pain I used to experience is gone... plus I find that I have much more control over what and how I write...

When it comes to PW practice makes perfect... for over 6 months I walked around constantly with my hand in my pocket writing everything I saw so that I could train myself to write blind correctly... at first it looked like drunken scrawl, but over time I was able to develop a writing style that closely mimics my real writing manner when I'm not doing PW...

Because PW tends to be a real pain for many people I wanted to find a way to make it easier for other mentalists who'd like to use it (it's extremely powerful) but have a hard time getting the hang of it... To that end I've created and will soon be releasing a new "gimmick" titled the "MSW" that will make PW easier to do and the learning curve much, much shorter... everyone that I've shown the prototypes to have been impressed, including Strivings & Billy McComb...

I won't reveal too much here until it's ready for the market (and because I don't want this to be seen as an ad), but the complete "package" is really going to be nice, including several routines by Al Baker, McComb and other notables in mentalism... I now prefer to use the "MSW" as my main PW tool, even though I still keep a set of "Derringer's" in my pocket... I think you'll like what I've put together when it finally debuts...

Till then, practice first with a short pencil stub (and then later graduate to the "Derringer's")... put a small stack of business cards or a small post-it pad in your pocket, walk around writing down the things you see, read or hear and then check your progress... at first it'll look like you're doing the "nasty" in your pocket, but once you find a comfortable way to hold the stub and get readable script/text/numbers your hand will relax and no one will notice that you are writing away...

And to add to Michael's reply, get your hands on Rigg's "Secret Writings" DVD -- it's very good... I even learned a few things from it (and Michael did a good job mastering it for John)...

Hope this helps...

Success!!!

Tony Blake
The Thoughtreader
Õ¿Õ¬
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
I have not yet tried the PW method yet, I would like to know how practical it is for someone who wears Jeans mostly? Not tight fitting, but most Jeans are a tighter fit than say Chinos.

Jonathan
A_Blake
View Profile
Loyal user
The Thoughtreader
216 Posts

Profile of A_Blake
Jonathan...

I can write in jeans... both the loose/relaxed kind as well as standard "Levi's" type jeans... it's not easy, but it can be done and with enough practice you can do it...

The challenge is how tight the pockets are on the jeans... the reason being that in using either a small stub or the "Derringer's" you'll need to curve/cup your hand a little bit to get the point in a position to be able to write as well as your hand to be able to handle the motion of writing... tight jeans pockets can be a real pain... and if you have anything else in there, coins, wallet or anything else other than the PW utensil and either a small pad or a PW desk it can get pretty crowded...

The gimmick I designed makes it easier to write in cramped spaces as you don't need to curve your hand at all... you can write with your hand flat against your leg... heck, I've even written with it in my back pocket!... I can't go into too much more as I don't want the powers-that-be here on the Café to think that I'm abusing the privilege to post and making this is a plug for my creation...

Hope this helps...

Success!!!

Tony Blake
The Thoughtreader
Õ¿Õ¬
solidglint
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
212 Posts

Profile of solidglint
Thank you Tony, I will try it out. Where can I find more info on your creation?

Jonathan
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Tony!

Thanx for the your reply!

I've been practicing with the NW and a drunken scrawl in Cantonese might be more fitting for me.

A question for you, and I hope I'm not running any exposure risk here, but when you use a PW, do you say-'I'll make a prediction and put it in my pocket' or do you just pull the prediction out saying-'I knew you'd say that and I wrote that this morning on this paper...in Cantonese...'

Django
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
marky707
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of marky707
What is john riggs website... I forgot it. So I can buy his pw dvd.

thanks,
mark
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Quote:
A question for you, and I hope I'm not running any exposure risk here, but when you use a PW, do you say-'I'll make a prediction and put it in my pocket' or ...'

Actually it is best to distance the work from the reveal. Again, the Secret Writings DVD will give you some *great* ideas with this.

(Note that my recommendations of this DVD has nothing to do with my part in its production; I don't get anything from the sales. It is just a great primer for those getting into PW, NW, and DW.)

PM me If you need John's website address.

MS
Gabor
View Profile
Veteran user
Pécel, Hungary
367 Posts

Profile of Gabor
I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious whether Tony Blake has released his MSW.

Regards,
Gábor
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
Why not use a boon to write in your pocket, or gimmick a finger ring?!
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Andy
Great post
TJ
:)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » PW or NW? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL