The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Do You Believe You Should "Fake It Till You Make It?" (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2017, Sealegs wrote:
I wonder if Steve Brooks can open up a separate section of the Café where you boys can bat back and forth and have a go at each other? it might stop, what seems like, every thread in this section of the Café from falling into the same dull miasma that this one is now in. Smile

Am I not allowed to defend myself against the attacks?
See above and see who started it. I am only answering questions.

Tom
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I was just commenting on how it looks from the perspective someone not involved in the back and forth. You, Danny, Mindpro and anyone else can of course do as you please. Smile
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree it looks bad and I should know better than to get suckered in like that. My bad.

Anyway,

Man went to the Doctor and he gave him 2 months to live.

So the man shot him so that the Judge could then give him 30 years.

Now to get back on topic and like I said, I have always viewed the fake it bit like Brian described.

Tom
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Special user
Curtis The Mentalist
505 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
Quote:
I wonder if Steve Brooks can open up a separate section of the Café where you boys can bat back and forth and have a go at each other? it might stop, what seems like, every thread in this section of the Café from falling into the same dull miasma that this one is now in. Smile

Great idea! We can call it something like "The Gym--A Forum Where Unlike-Minded Magicians and Mentalists Can Duke It Out." Smile

Just trying to insert a little levity here, feeble though the attempt may be.
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Special user
Curtis The Mentalist
505 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2017, TomBoleware wrote:
Quote:
To my mind, interesting as it was, Curtis' story doesn't have any bearing on the phrase, 'Fake it 'till you make it'.

Brian expressed, with more eloquence than I would have done, the manner in which I've always heard and interpreted this phrase being used.

Same here. I thought Brian said it well, and I too think of it as building confidence, not misleading prospects and clients.

Tom

By the way, Tom, I did in fact elaborate more on the connection between the story and the "fake it till you make it" phrase in a subsequent comment. Not sure if you noticed that or not. I also made a follow up comment to clarify things a bit more on the blogpost itself.

Not that it necessarily matters as it really doesn't change much other than clear up any confusion with respect to the video.

I don't disagree with what Brian or anyone else has said about the well-meaning intention of the phrase, I just believe there is better ways of promoting the same idea without the use of tricky and erroneous catch-phrases like this that are so rampant in the so-called "motivational" world.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2017, CurtWaltermire wrote:
By the way, Tom, I did in fact elaborate more on the connection between the story and the "fake it till you make it" phrase in a subsequent comment. Not sure if you noticed that or not. I also made a follow up comment to clarify things a bit more on the blogpost itself.

Not that it necessarily matters as it really doesn't change much other than clear up any confusion with respect to the video.

I don't disagree with what Brian or anyone else has said about the well-meaning intention of the phrase, I just believe there is better ways of promoting the same idea without the use of tricky and erroneous catch-phrases like this that are so rampant in the so-called "motivational" world.

Yes I did notice that and thanks for doing it.

And I do completely agree that one should NEVER outright lie to prospects and clients. Present your best side, I say of course you should.

My point is we shouldn’t change the real definition of ‘Fake it Until You Make It’ and make it sound like it is dishonest to use it in anyway. I’m a big believer that it works and there is absolutely no reason one should sit around and wait for years in order to say I am paying my dues. I say step up to the plate and pretend that you are as good as the rest and then work hard to prove it.

One can simply Google it to find the true meaning.

Of course we all are free to do as we like.

Tom
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2017, CurtWaltermire wrote:
Do you feel like you're "faking" it until you "make it?"

No. What helps me more is an "Act As If" attitude. I try to model succesful people who have already achieved what I'm trying to do. I'm constantly asking myself "What Would xxxx Do?"

Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Do You Believe You Should "Fake It Till You Make It?" (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL