The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown's new series (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IceKnight
View Profile
New user
UK
75 Posts

Profile of IceKnight
Derren Brown's Trick of the Mind, the new six-part series, starts on Friday, 23rd April, on Channel 4
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Yep. Magicweek.co.uk have got a rundown of the effects on each show, as well as an interview with one of the directors. Sounds very, very good. Can't wait to see the chess effect. I feel it's methodology is simply beautiful, and I certinaly hope he doesn't reveal it as the description leads me to believe.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
I hope it wont be the old, one time he plays white the other time black against the grandmasters. each move white makes, you do when you play white against the other. the same with the black's answer.
you guarentee a draw like that either 0.5 on both games (draw) or 1 - 0 win loss.
the grandmasters play against themselves basically.
this was in mission impossible when I was a kid Smile

N
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Nir, that sounds like the one explained in 13 Steps. I hope it won't be that one either, but rather another method that I was thinking of. But, if he is going to reveal the method then it probably will be the one you mention.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
If you are a bit into memory, and can remember say 5 different chess moves. you can play 10 simultaneous games. actually you can do it without memory at all if you spread the participants a bit and go back and forth in a random(?) order between them.
Seeing Kasparov playing against 40 people simoultaneously in Israel about 5 years ago was very nice. he actually lost 3 games if I recall, one of them to a minister in the parlament! now who said the public's representatives are dumb...
N.
wisdom
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of wisdom
Corinda once wrote a little book entitled "Chess Trickery"

I understand he was a chess expert.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Wisdom do you know where I can find more info on the tittle you mention " Chess Trickery " ?

I am very much interested by this game Smile

Thanks for the help

Read you soon

Kuffs
brownbomber
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh
156 Posts

Profile of brownbomber
As an international chess player myself, who once amazed myself by managing to beat a GM, and get a few draws with IMs, I'm also very curious as to what this effect is.

I, like Nir Dahan, also hope that it's not a simple rehash of the reversed colours simultaneous trick either (but sort of half-expect it to be a variation on that theme).

Anybody seen the fascinating Deep Blue vs. Kasparov film with all the conspiracy theories that were suggested?

BB.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
A quick question.
I read in the Guardian that the series begins on the 16th of April.
I then read in the Mail (and here) that it begins on the 24th.
Can anyone clear this up?
Thanks.
Hello.
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

It's on the 23rd, for sure.
Dario_Bauer
View Profile
Regular user
glasgow
109 Posts

Profile of Dario_Bauer
I had it from quite a long time ago written down as the 16th as well, but then everywhere said Friday the 23rd, the friday night slot makes sense, and it has been changed from the 16th to the 23rd on his official website. So I think it is a pretty safe bet it will be the 23rd. However, It doesn't say anything about it on channel 4's website though so they could still change it again, maybe they have changed it again to the 24th, but I think it was probably just a typo.
"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography"
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Just read the blurb on Magic Week.co.uk of Derrens series and effects.surely someone is being jokingly ironic.I don't believe any of it,it reads like someone taking the pi*s!
Dario_Bauer
View Profile
Regular user
glasgow
109 Posts

Profile of Dario_Bauer
No it will play out like it state's in that 'blurb', if you have see any of his other material you will understand.
MIC
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MIC
Hi everybody?
does anyone know if channel4 is broadcasted live on the web anywhere? I would hate to miss the series.!!

thanks
M I C
Dario_Bauer
View Profile
Regular user
glasgow
109 Posts

Profile of Dario_Bauer
http://www.channel4.com/broadband/

"4Broadband brings you a selection of Channel 4's most popular shows online - all in high quality broadband video."

I can't gurantee trick of the mind would be on it though, don't buy it unless you are certain they will show it on this channel. wait till it tells you they will play it.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Ah, Scots!

My family is originally from Aberdeen!

I have to say that I envy you guys. We don't get the opportunity to see Derren here in the states. I keep trying to get my wife to move to Edinburgh (I have a cousin that lives there) so we can watch Derren, but to no avail. Smile

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
mOzerian
View Profile
Loyal user
Sydney, Global
230 Posts

Profile of mOzerian
I think you must pay a hefty subscription for that broadband access....
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I'd kill for a copy of Mr. brown's new TV special.
Dario_Bauer
View Profile
Regular user
glasgow
109 Posts

Profile of Dario_Bauer
£30 a month for Broadband access, plus what ever it cost's for a bt phoneline. I have a feeling that Derren's new series might be on that 4broadband service, if they knew just how many of you folks there is all around the world that would watch it I'm sure they would put it on, it cost's £4.95 a month so if his series were to be on it sometime I think it would be worth a month or 2's subscription. This sound's wayyy too much like I am advertising for channel 4, but if you are really interested keep your eye on it.

Not only do we get to see him on TV, he is touring with his stage show as I'm sure you will have heard. As soon as they announced the date's they were all in England, so I booked ticket's for the Croydon show, then a week later they announced 2 scottish date's :-(. lol, just have to go see him twice then, I will get him to sign my absolute magic this time.

Rick, keep trying! lol, I stayed in Aberdeen for a few month's when I was little, it's a nice place.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Thanks, Dario! I'll keep my kilt pressed and my pipes full of air!

Does anyone out there have a copy of Derren's TV shows on VHS?

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown's new series (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL