The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Flash Gum by Joao Miranda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1866 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Hey guys,
The latest release from Joao Miranda is called Flash Gum.
If you like their other offers, their newest offer is just as visual and as practical as Sketch.

More info:
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=60000

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4668 Posts

Profile of RNK
Wow! Great visuals!!

I would live to see a full uncut demo!

RNK
Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of Fero
If anyone listen to the live performance can be clearly heard the noise of the gimmick.... not for me
Magicmike34
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Magicmike34
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2017, Fero wrote:
If anyone listen to the live performance can be clearly heard the noise of the gimmick.... not for me

I don´t hear any noise in the full performance so you might be hearing voices.

I personally LOVE the visuals on this and it is really good and fair to see a full uncut performance, so it seems that Joao nailed it (again).

Can´t wait to receive mine.
453rob
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of 453rob
This has got to be one of the silliest tricks out there. This time Joao is really fishing for something. I really do not like this at all. Just my opinion.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2607 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I know I said the same thing really a Gum pack during the card trick ?
MitchC
View Profile
Elite user
Can't believe I only have
416 Posts

Profile of MitchC
Couldn't they have come up with something better than a pack of gum ? I mean... Flash Gum ? I can't buy a trick with a name like that ! LOL ...VIsuals ARE nice, have to admit.
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Eh- maybe I'm getting old, but I think the flashy visual thing is a bit overrated. Especially when the 'visual' takes precedent over a logical plot. To each his own, I guess. Hope it sells well.
btwigg
View Profile
Regular user
Anaheim, CA USA
176 Posts

Profile of btwigg
I'm going to have to pass on this one dawg - Randy Jackson
magic_tony
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2017, Fero wrote:

The noise is mainly the sound of the pack of gum as it hits your hand, so it's not out of place.

I'm sure the odd plot can be justified by some inventive patter but I think the more difficult thing will be to prevent people from either grabbing the cards after the change, or even wanting to see the cards.

Plus, in real life, the cards will look obviously thicker than regular cards which won't go unnoticed.

I think if you're happy presenting this as just a fun thing with obviously gimmicked objects in play, then it could be cool.
453rob
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of 453rob
I wrote the following opinion as per request from Dominic Reye:
Hello Dominic,
well, I'm glad you asked.
This must be one of the silliest releases in a while. Everything in this trick is wrong. "Orbitz" gum? WTF. Never seen Orbitz anywhere.
The handling of the package of gum is so unnatural IMO. Nobody holds gum as if it were a brick of gold.
The routine shown does not make sense at all. Why would you have cards appear in a package of gum? I think that Jaoa is really reaching with this. Nothing wrong with making cards disappear from a deck. Actually this looks very clean. But why gum? Especially Orbitz? And why is he holding it so funny. Would be better to have cards appear in a card box f.ex or coin envelope that was on the table all the time. Same visuals could be applied there methinks.Visual for visualtiy's sake does not work here very well. $40.00US I can think of much better effects for that price.
You asked for my opinion
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3330 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Would be cool if you have a confederate take out the pack as you are doing the trick (ostensibly to take a piece of gum), and you randomly decide to borrow it. Obviously that won't work for most situations, but I could see that being very strong, David Blaine style (look...look...).

Having the magician do card to gum is a little silly otherwise. Visuals are pretty cool though.

Re: Orbitz, it's legit. I see it around.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1606 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Orbit
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3330 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Riiigght
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
brandon90
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
556 Posts

Profile of brandon90
Just received this in the mail.

I'm not a huge fan, I agree with the opinions above; it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Just something flashy. (pun intended)

It's also a little too gimmicky for my taste too much going on.

brandon
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Flash Gum – João Miranda and Julio Montoro

Product description : Gum tricks have always been something I like, I do find them to be impromptu and cool looking for the spectator. Unfortunately, most gum tricks are irrelevant in France since we don’t have the same kind of packaging. Anyway, Flash Gum is a routine which will allow you to visually transform a gum packet into 3 selected cards ! The routine is very visual, especially when the pack of gum is thrown from one hand to the other and that it morphs into cards ! But is it worth the asked price and is it worth your money ? Let’s find out !

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $39.95 and you can find it in nearly every Murphy's magic « partner » shop and also on the website of the creator, João Miranda : http://www.joaomiranda.com/store/index.p......ct_id=91 !

What you get : You get the standard packaging from João Miranda which is a very nice cardboard box, fully printed with an amazing artwork. I must say that if all creators put as much effort in the packaging as João does, receiving magic trick would be much more exciting. Inside, you’ll find a card to access the explanation video, which is about 35 minutes long. João covers everything you need to know, from the transformation of the packet to the disappearance of the selected cards. You also receive quite a few gimmicks, the main ones which will allow to do the trick and some other stuff in case something goes wrong. The gimmicks are really well made, they’re quite known in the magical world but still, they’re made with special cards which makes everything looks very good. You also get the chewing gum tab, which is a very nice thing since those don’t exist in my country.

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJr6B01rMMc

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
– Unfortunately, we don’t have gum sold in such packaging where I live (in France) so people thought at first that I was holding a pill box. But this con is a small cone, once you explain those are gums, people don’t seem to pay much attention.
– Even though the gimmicks are well made, they’re still quite thick which can be a problem during your routine, you can’t freely show the 3 cards, you’ll have to be careful about your positioning and the lights.

THE PROS :
– The visuals on this are insane ! The thing I like the most is the fact it’s not a card turning into another card, it’s a 3 dimension object which turns into 2 flat cards, I really like this kind of effect.
– The gimmicks are really well made, they took time and work to produce the best cards possible and I think they did a great job. Especially having a gimmick with parts of a gum pack on it, I wouldn’t have been able to make it.
– They included everything so you can do this trick directly out of the box ! No need to go to the sotre in order to buy gums or anything else.
– In the video, they do teach you several ways to make the selected cards disappear from the pack, which is a very nice attention. The even teach you how to make a gimmicked card to do so (different from the gimmicked card you receive).
– While the transformation is easy to do, making the cards disappear will require a little bit more of practice if you want to go to the sleight of hand way. There is also a gimmicked way which nearly does all the work for you.
– I think this would be the perfect trick in a show reel. Not that you can’t perform it live (Julio Montoro does it in the streets) but I wouldn’t be comfortable doing it live, there are too many things in play. But for a video, this is one the best thing you can do.

Overall rating : As I said, I wouldn’t be comfortable doing it live but this is something that has its place, whether it’s on a show reel or a video. The visuals are insane and I really like the way they made the gimmicks, 2.5/4 hearts.

As for the difficulty level, you’ll need to get used to the gimmicks but once you are, this will be easy ! Making the cards disappear from the deck will require a little bit more work, I would say 3/5 stars.

Similar products : I don’t know routines in which a pack of gum turns into some cards but object into cards have been around for ages, whether it’s a condom, a bill or something else.

If you liked this review, make sure to check all my other ones on my website : http://lesavisdalexis.wixsite.com/reviews
Get yourself the Flap Cards guide : http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4435

Make sure to check my review website, new reviews coming every week ! http://lesavisdalexis.wix.com/reviews
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Flash Gum by Joao Miranda (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL